What happens to visas with a new passport ?

I have the new DTV visa, and partner has a working O visa. When we renew our passports, what happens to these visas. Will we just forever need to carry our old passports with us, or do we transfer the visa to the new passport ?

Plz assist. 

2 minutes ago, JoeyMac said:

I have the new DTV visa, and partner has a working O visa. When we renew our passports, what happens to these visas. Will we just forever need to carry our old passports with us, or do we transfer the visa to the new passport ?

Plz assist. 

Visas cannot be transferred.

You will carry both passports until you get new visas in the future.

(Obviously, 'permission to stay' - granted under a 12 month extension - can be transferred to a new passport)

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

(Obviously, 'permission to stay' - granted under a 12 month extension - can be transferred to a new passport)

Dayam so i have to carry my old passport around for the next 10 years?!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

45 minutes ago, JoeyMac said:

Why would you carry around the Passport? I have a photo of the visa and the passport on my phone and a laminated photo of my passport in my wallet.  The only time I ever need my passport is when I need to something at the bank. I have never been stopped and asked for my passport anywhere in my many years living and working here. 

Edited by Chwooly
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Obviously the OP concerns are not about eg Banking.

Moreso re international travel 

Not so obvious since he didn't mention international travel at all. `And I have had many people who have moved here think they need to carry their passports around with them even if just bar hopping. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Chwooly said:

`And I have had many people who have moved here think they need to carry their passports around with them even if just bar hopping. 

Those people are stupid. Bar stool myth

• Agree 1

@JoeyMac  Is your DTV a stamp or sticker in your passport or did you receive it as a PDF document attached to an email from a Thai embassy which you then printed on a sheet of paper?

Came here to find an answer and nobody has given it yet.  When I asked this somewhere else, and assuming an eVisa so not a sticker in a passport, someone using another type of visa said they were able to go into immigration and get the passport # changed on their Visa.  So I am assuming this is how it will work with the DTV eVisa.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maestro said:

@JoeyMac  Is your DTV a stamp or sticker in your passport or did you receive it as a PDF document attached to an email from a Thai embassy which you then printed on a sheet of paper?

I was given a PDF document. I have yet to use it as i'm still in Thailand. 

I am obviously talking about travelling and immigration guys. The idea i have to travel around with 2 passports is pretty annoying. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Those people are stupid. Bar stool myth

So someone with no experience are traveling for the first time should be ridiculed and made fun of. 

Got it, Thanks for the clarification 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

why are you giving out factually incorrect information???

bob.

I know I.O. differs in different places in Thailand......but here They just copied everything from my old passport into my new one with same date to renew Visa.

Udon Thani.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

I know I.O. differs in different places in Thailand......but here They just copied everything from my old passport into my new one with same date to renew Visa.

Udon Thani.

And that was a visa they transferred, not an extension of stay?

Edited by Upnotover
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

....They just copied everything from my old passport into my new one with same date to renew Visa.

Visas are not transfered.

Most likely you have a permission of stay (extensions) from a non O.

The stamp for the extension along with any reentry permit stamps etc are transfered.

If someone has eg a Non O-A visa (not and extension) or Non O multi entry Visa etc , they are not transfered and you can travel with both passports. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, shdmn said:

Came here to find an answer and nobody has given it yet.  When I asked this somewhere else, and assuming an eVisa so not a sticker in a passport, someone using another type of visa said they were able to go into immigration and get the passport # changed on their Visa.  So I am assuming this is how it will work with the DTV eVisa.

Not a visa, but:

I recently renewed my UK passport. I am here on a Non Imm 'O' based on retirement.

I took both old and new passports, photocopies of ID page in old and new PP's, last Non O stamp, and my Multiple re-entry stamp along to immigration.

They gave me a form to fill in, took all my documents and passports and told me to return in one week.

New stamps were made in new passport, and both were returned to me.

I then went to the bank to get the new passport registered with my bank account. Not immediately necessary, but I needed a new passbook anyway.

Now all done and dusted.

HTH.

Edited by phetphet
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, phetphet said:

. I am here on a Non Imm 'O' based on retirement.

I took both old and new passports, photocopies of ID page in old and new PP's, last visa stamp, and my Multiple re-entry stamp along to immigration

Not being pedantic however in this thread it's important.

You do not have a valid visa.

You have a permit (permission of stay) and the stamp for most recent extension was transferred along with your multiple reentry permit last entry stamp etc.

If you actually had a multi entry Visa such as a valid ME non O or a valid Non O-A etc then you travel with both passports

12 hours ago, JoeyMac said:

Little or no idea! 🙄So tell us about your 10yr visas!

2 hours ago, JoeyMac said:

I am obviously talking about travelling and immigration guys. The idea i have to travel around with 2 passports is pretty annoying. 

I think you are making more of it than the reality, how many times a year do you plan to leave the country or go to immigration.

You never said when you passport is due for renewal, if shortly, surely it would have been better to renew it before the visa.

My last 2 visas have been e-visas and last year after a couple of days in Laos I came back across the bridge at Nong Khai on a re-entry permit. The IO asked to see my visa, I just said I have a copy on the phone, he glared at me, stamped the passport and handed it back.

I would suggest all you need is a copy of the old passport and visa document on your phone. If that makes you nervous then you can fall back on the physical documents.

5 minutes ago, bob smith said:

I had my NON O transferred to my new passport a few years ago.

You had information regarding the non O recorded in new passport.

Your permit stamp for most recent extension was transferred along with reentry permit if you had one.

The non O visa would have been expired and not transfered.

Different to someone in situation of having a valid multi entry Visa. eg Valid non O-A visa,

ME non O retirement or marriage etc

18 minutes ago, bob smith said:

I had my NON O transferred to my new passport a few years ago when my old one expired. This was done by the IO at immigration in Thailand.

You are mistaken, Immigration cannot transfer a vignette nor can they change the passport number on an e-visa.

Years ago you could take your pasport to the consulate in Hull and they would put a visa stamp in your new passport, but that stopped when vignettes were introduced.

I came back on a new visa last Oct and did the 12 month extension in Dec. Yesterday I went to do the first 90 day in person and had to give them a copy of a visa that had been expired 10  months.

Maybe one day they will get the act together and update visa and passport details across immigration on entry.

Edited by sandyf

4 hours ago, JoeyMac said:

The idea i have to travel around with 2 passports is pretty annoying. 

Oh yes, the crippling burden which the weight of the second passport will impose on you! You truly have my sympathies!!🤬

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

Yes they are.

I had my NON O visa transferred to my new passport a few years ago when my old one expired. This was done by the IO at immigration in Thailand.

I do not need my old passport to either travel or extend my stay.

bob.

Well, I've had to subject myself to the bureaucratic rigours of The Dreaded UK Passport Renewal Experience a couple of times since moving to the Land Of Smiles - and I can assure you that on neither occasion did my local immigration office stick in the replacement passport full-page replicas of the non-OA visa which the Royal Thai Embassy in London issued to me in 2008!

Edited by OJAS

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Not being pedantic however in this thread it's important.

You do not have a valid visa.

You have a permit (permission of stay) and the stamp for most recent extension was transferred along with your multiple reentry permit last entry stamp etc.

If you actually had a multi entry Visa such as a valid ME non O or a valid Non O-A etc then you travel with both passports

Drjack54. I know. That's why I had immediately edited my post after posting. See bold below.

Not a visa, but:

I recently renewed my UK passport. I am here on a Non Imm 'O' based on retirement.

Perhaps your reply beat my edit showing . 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, JoeyMac said:

Based on your supplementary information, the good news is that after you get your new passport you don't have to travel with both passports.

P.S. Also, you don't have to hold on to the printout of the DTV you currently have in your possession for the rest of the five years; you can print it out again any time and as often as you need it. Just hold on to that PDF file, perhaps keep copies of in some cloud storage.

Edited by Maestro
added postscript