Bangkok Prepares for Rising Waters: Governor Reassures Residents

webfact

Screenshot-2024-08-29-170353-1.webp

Photo courtesy: The Nation

Bangkok Governor Chadchart Sittipunt has stepped up to ensure the city's readiness as floodwaters approach, focusing on key flood defence projects. Accompanied by Deputy Governor Wisanu Supsompol and officials from the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) Drainage and Sewerage Department, Chadchart recently inspected vital flood levee repairs along the Chao Phraya River in Yannawa district. Attention centered on the Rama III area, where a new water gate at Klong Ta Huang is under construction.

During the visit, Chadchart and his team assessed the ongoing work on the new gate, which aims to enhance water management. Plans also include dredging the canal to increase its water retention capacity. The delegation reviewed recent repairs to ruptured levees and the installation of water pumps in critical spots to manage overflow risks effectively.

Chadchart expressed confidence in the city's flood management preparations, highlighting the ample capacity of the Sirikit and Bhumibol dams upstream to handle additional water. These measures, he believes, will mitigate the impact of the floodwaters and rising sea tides expected in October.

“We are well-prepared for the upcoming flood season,” Chadchart assured residents. “The BMA is capable of managing the situation efficiently, ensuring Bangkok remains safe.”

As the city gears up for potential challenges, a Thai economist has issued a grave warning about the long-term risks. Without significant intervention, Bangkok could face submersion within the next seven to eight years, posing substantial economic and social threats.

In other related news, a dispute erupted over the distribution of meal boxes to flood victims in Nan province. On August 23, a Facebook post from the group Original Nan Community Market detailed the frustrations of a member who struggled to access food aid, sparking a heated online debate.

Governor Chadchart's proactive approach marks a crucial step in safeguarding Bangkok’s residents and infrastructure, proving essential as natural threats loom on the horizon.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-30

news-footer-2.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Same happens every year, same excuses every year.

It is annual I will be interested to see how Asoke fairs which is usually one of the most flooded areas around Soi Cowboy LOL

Time will tell, but the people living along the river have adapted to this situation for years.  I can remember having to take a boat to get to PT Immigration or to walk along the board bridges LOL 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

“We are well-prepared for the upcoming flood season,” Chadchart assured residents. “The BMA is capable of managing the situation efficiently, ensuring Bangkok remains safe.”

Don't tell me that people are expected to believe that drivel.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2024 at 1:40 AM, webfact said:

During the visit, Chadchart and his team assessed the ongoing work on the new gate, which aims to enhance water management. Plans also include dredging the canal to increase its water retention capacity. The delegation reviewed recent repairs to ruptured levees and the installation of water pumps in critical spots to manage overflow risks effectively.

So all in all, BKK wiill not sink?  BTW is that your car the blue one Installments for sure?

On 8/30/2024 at 9:42 AM, MikeandDow said:

Another Band aid,  this is same same every year, no long term view ?

Of course there is a long term view. It is all about resources but for some reason most foreigners on here seem to think every country has the same GDP.

How happy would you be if a stranger told you how to manage your affairs.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/30/2024 at 2:02 PM, kingstonkid said:

It is annual I will be interested to see how Asoke fairs which is usually one of the most flooded areas around Soi Cowboy LOL

Time will tell, but the people living along the river have adapted to this situation for years.  I can remember having to take a boat to get to PT Immigration or to walk along the board bridges LOL 

Time will certainly tell.

There hasn't been a repeat of the 2011 floods, so until there is, no one can say things haven't changed.

The United Nations report on reconstruction can be found here.

https://www.preventionweb.net/publication/2011-thailand-floods-rapid-assessment-resilient-recovery-and-reconstruction-planning

9 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Of course there is a long term view. It is all about resources but for some reason most foreigners on here seem to think every country has the same GDP.

How happy would you be if a stranger told you how to manage your affairs.

What rubbish !  how long has the same excuse been made ?  20yrs as i know it and nothing !! no improvement and if a stranger told me he had better ideas I would consider it and if better i would act on his advice, there is no shame in taking advice or help  If i remember a good few years ago there was a European agency wanting to give help in water management to the government but were told No !!!!  Where is the water management Plan !!!! 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Time will certainly tell.

There hasn't been a repeat of the 2011 floods, so until there is, no one can say things haven't changed.

The United Nations report on reconstruction can be found here.

https://www.preventionweb.net/publication/2011-thailand-floods-rapid-assessment-resilient-recovery-and-reconstruction-planning

yes a report was conducted But where any of the recommendations  implemented NO

recommendations of the assessment are: (1) provide support to the affected population with a particular focus on vulnerable groups;  NO!! (2) Invest in a more climate resilient Thailand; NO!!  (3) Invest in the competitiveness of the country to support resilient recovery. NO!!

On 8/30/2024 at 7:02 AM, kingstonkid said:

I for one woudn't be interested.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, MikeandDow said:

yes a report was conducted But where any of the recommendations  implemented NO

recommendations of the assessment are: (1) provide support to the affected population with a particular focus on vulnerable groups;  NO!! (2) Invest in a more climate resilient Thailand; NO!!  (3) Invest in the competitiveness of the country to support resilient recovery. NO!!

Some are so desperate to run down the government they just ignore what is taking place.

If you don't like the way things are being done I am sure there is somewhere else that will pander to your needs.

The ironic thing is one of the greatest obstacles the government has had to face is migration into Bangkok.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

Some are so desperate to run down the government they just ignore what is taking place.

If you don't like the way things are being done I am sure there is somewhere else that will pander to your needs.

The ironic thing is one of the greatest obstacles the government has had to face is migration into Bangkok.

What has this got to do with the current topic  KEEP ON TOPIC

On 8/30/2024 at 2:02 PM, kingstonkid said:

Asoke stayed bone dry in 2011. What you describe is just local flooding.

Nontaburi and Rangsit will fall first. With a bit of luck the government complex at CW will float away.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, MikeandDow said:

Every year, you would think they would have a water management plan

They do.  It's the tropics.  It rains.  It floods.  Then the water recedes.  The costs of letting it happen is lower than the costs of trying to stop it.  As in any business decision, "do nothing" is one of the choices.  Sometimes, the best of a bunch of bad choices.

As far as Thailand becoming "green", they produce less than 1% of the world's climate problem.  Thailand could go back to walking and living off grid in wooden huts and it wouldn't significantly affect the world's climate situation.  And that's regardless of whether you believe the climate situation is man-made or yet another of the hundreds of natural cycles over history.

Edited by impulse

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

They do.  It's the tropics.  It rains.  It floods.  Then the water recedes.  The costs of letting it happen is lower than the costs of trying to stop it.  As in any business decision, "do nothing" is one of the choices.  Sometimes, the best of a bunch of bad choices.

As far as Thailand becoming "green", they produce less than 1% of the world's climate problem.  Thailand could go back to walking and living off grid in wooden huts and it wouldn't significantly affect the world's climate situation.  And that's regardless of whether you believe the climate situation is man-made or yet another of the hundreds of natural cycles over history.

So its best do nothing think you should tell that to the family who have lost everything and to the family's of the people who are dead because of the floods   this is just a stupid post