Pixel 9 XL 16GB RAM (256GB storage): USD1,282.93 Buy USA: In BKK, What is Better?

Dear Folks....

This is really NOT the same post as I posted previously....

Believe me.

I have now done much research concerning Google Pricing in NYC, Singapore, Malaysia.

First of all....

There IS no Google Store in Thailand.

Why?

I have no clue...

But, I do not care.

This is NOT a political discussion.

The question is:

a.  Originally, goaded on by BUBBLEGUM (a man that I AGREE with), I did my best to find a Google phone, the Pixel 9 XL.  

But, the logistics of getting it to Thailand are just a non-starter.

b.  In the USA...the price for this Pixel 9 XL with 256GB of onboard storage is 

AD_4nXd6P9_ZJgi1QTWQ-zgB_BYNtxDRXw6TwyTfxGpCwDBM8HJ-WK0iUJhTFJmsmbs_XJwmdmmkInObrwGyMZCZ3xTVJcc31-i5_wLszIVCAwkMM33LMthpcDU_k9ZXgyGydH1bxCDh3B6QrVb15QMcwrI0ytZ2?key=01XzmjhG7ws_OV23LLq2kQ

Also, I checked the prices in Singapore and Japan.

Basically, Google sells this same phone for he same price in all countries....around the globe.

Very Slight currency fluctuations might minimally alter the price....but the pricing is the same in the countries I checked.

Unfortunately....

This phone is not offered in Thailand.

There IS a Google Store in Malaysia...however....

c.  So, I cannot wait to ship from some other country.  And, I must, instead buy a Samsung phone, for the same amount of money...or slightly less...but a phone which is equal or superior to the Google Pixel 9 XL.

d.  What are the options, if any?

Or, does Google, at this price point, completely blow Samsung out of the water????

e. As for me, this is not just an idle question of minimal interest.

My NOTE4's  Android Marshmallow OS no longer supports any apps....as of the past few days.

No LINE, and no WeChat, and no nothing.

f.  In case you might wish to voice an opinion concerning which device, and where to buy such device, in Chiang Mai,....

For USD 1,282.00  or less....

Then this might be of interest.

g.  Due to sudden changes in software, Marshmallow is no longer of any use to anyone, including me.

Nothing works on this phone....as of about 48 hours ago.

NOTHING.

NADA.

ZIP.

h.  Of course, I have not given up on my NOTE4 so easily.

Someday, but not now, I will run Linux on my NOTE4.

i.  However, at this moment....

I am completely lost to the world.  Or, thankfully, the world is temporarily free of me....

If you wish to help me get reconnected with my many friends around the world....then....

What is your best SAMSUNG phone suggestion for this price point?

Naturally, I anticipate a few spicy comments...as usual...and they are welcome.

However, I just hope that there is also a few good and amazing suggestions, intermixed.

IMHO....

It is just possible that there are others looking for a SAMSUNG phone, at this price, or slightly less.

And, maybe the info you provide might be helpful to other readers, too.

Just keep in mind:

RAM: 12 to 16 GB

STORAGE: 256 GB

Basically what you would get with the Pixel 9 XL.

So....

Any ideas for a better Samsung phone, for the price of the Pixel 9 XL?

Can Thailand give us more than Google can in Malaysia and Singapore....for example?

Just asking.

Gamma

You're looking for a Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra, or one of the other S24 models with some additional storage added in using the spare memory card slot for the storage.

Not sure on the rest of the specs but that's the best one and the prices seem about right.

I just bought a new Samsung Galaxy Tab, cost about $850 here in Phnom Penh, I was kind of forced to buy it because my old Ipad Air was so out of date lots of things wouldn't work, new apps no longer support the old version and they don't allow upgrades so I dumped it and went with the Samsung this time around. That old Ipad is maybe 7 or 8 years old.

Hello,

What would you do, if there is some problem with the phone?

I'm asking because I also interested in Google Pixel phone. The model I'm interested in is Pixel 8a. I'm planning to buy it in the USA and bring it to Thailand.

Also, when buying in the USA, which carrier is better to choose: VERIZON or AT&T, so it will be compatible with the AIS in Thailand? See the attachment.

2024-09-01_023104.png

4 hours ago, 2_mike_an said:

What would you do, if there is some problem with the phone?

Even if you dismiss the possibility of getting a lemon up front, what happens when the pins on the charging port corrode due to sweat?  Or any other simple repair is required, that would be a breeze for a Thai-centric brand. 

I generally go through a charging port every 2 years or so, just from corrosion due to sweaty pocket lint.  Eezy peezy at a thousand repair kiosks, as long as they have the parts.  Not so easy if the parts aren't available in Thailand.   

I did find out some parts are interchangeable, and the repair guys have cross reference charts for a lot of brands and components.  But I wouldn't spring for a $1,200 phone unless I knew that want of a $2 part wasn't going to brick it.

Not that I'd pop for a $1,200 phone anyway, knowing that there will be a better one coming out in 6 months or so...  My $150 Samsung works fine for me, with a cheap 128GB SD card.  Beyond that, I use my laptop.  But that's just me.  I ran out of hardware envy decades ago now that even a cheap phone or laptop meets most needs.  Even if I don't impress the chippies...

Edited by impulse
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am in the process of looking for a new phone after my 6 year old Huawei Y9 has started playing up a bit.

All I read in descriptions is the colour of the case, the rounded edges and what background I can have. All immaterial. 

Who else looks at your lock screen, or home screen. 

The problem for you is that the Pixel 9 has only recently been released so demand will be high.

If you give it a few weeks you might even start to see it for sale on Lazada or online by some Thai phone resellers .

I realise this doesn't help  you as you need a phone now.

For your information.. The pixel 8 Pro is available on both Lazada and Shopee, 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I am in the process of looking for a new phone after my 6 year old Huawei Y9 has started playing up a bit.

All I read in descriptions is the colour of the case, the rounded edges and what background I can have. All immaterial. 

Who else looks at your lock screen, or home screen. 

The huawei mate 60 pro apparently has the ability to make and receive calls via satellite, though how far outside the borders of china is the question.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Even if you dismiss the possibility of getting a lemon up front, what happens when the pins on the charging port corrode due to sweat?

What are you talking about...sweat in the charging port? How would it get there.

IF that is a problem for you, get some of those magnetic jobbies, which means you never have to insert anything into the port any more.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

There IS no Google Store in Thailand.

Why?

Basic business decision - too expensive to set up a business for a small volume.

12 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

This phone is not offered in Thailand.

https://www.thainexusman.com/

Pre-order, 9 XL Pro 256 is 42,990 THB.

I've purchased several phones from this "shop".

I currently have a Pixel 8.

I would NOT recommend you buy a Pixel phone here. I'm not sure you can "import" (buy from outside of Thailand) one, and you will have no warranty repair options.

Buy a Samsung phone.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Basic business decision - too expensive to set up a business for a small volume.

https://www.thainexusman.com/

Pre-order, 9 XL Pro 256 is 42,990 THB.

I've purchased several phones from this "shop".

I currently have a Pixel 8.

I would NOT recommend you buy a Pixel phone here. I'm not sure you can "import" (buy from outside of Thailand) one, and you will have no warranty repair options.

Buy a Samsung phone.

Or a POCO, Xaomei.

I'm confused GG .. as first you're looking at 10k baht ballpark phone, now considering a 44k baht phone.  Not even sold here and as mentioned, if it has an oops ... then what ???

You won't buy anything from CH, yet you are replacing your Xiaomi.

Does it have to be Android, if not, then iPhone is comparable to Pixels, depending who is a fan of either.

Not an Apple fan, so I'd go w/Pixel, but since not available, I'd go with Xiaomi.   Do you really need a 40k baht phone, as most of that cost is the camera.

That doesn't seem to be your priority use of the phone.  For me, it would be.   I was looking at a Xiaomi when you originally posted (Samsung), but out of your budget, & then read, no CH phone.

This is a nice Xiaomi & 35.9k baht :cheesy:

Edited by KhunLA

I bought a Pixel 6 a few years ago. I was in the USA at the time, so it was very simple to purchase it. It came with a 2 year warranty. It died (and hard died, there was no recovery) literally just one week after the warranty expired. I guess their engineers  should be congratulated for building to a minimum spec to just barely outlast the warranty period but not longer than that.

Nevertheless, there is no such thing as a Google Pixel service center in Thailand, so I chucked it in the bin and very grudgingly replaced it with an iPhone. The lesson here is, don't import expensive gear into Thailand if you might need service, warranty or not.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Not an Apple fan, so I'd go w/Pixel, but since not available, I'd go with Xiaomi.   Do you really need a 40k baht phone, as most of that cost is the camera.

Pixels are available. Pixel 9 XL is just one of @GammaGlobulin's usual trolling fantasies, he'd never buy one of those and knows it. Should just buy a used Android for B5000 and call it a day.

Three years ago, I bought a used Pixel 3a on Shopee. WOT??? Android 12, good 'nuff. Been great, takes good pics, like the size, all I need. With an armored case & tempered glass, it's a tank. Been treated like a tank, too.

I mainly use a PC or laptop for anything online, phones aren't important to me. I have an old Huawei tablet for reading e-books in waiting rooms. 

Edited by BigStar
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, BigStar said:

I mainly use a PC or laptop for anything online, phones aren't important to me. I have an old Huawei tablet for reading e-books in waiting rooms. 

Same ... 99% of the time, mine is a GPS device & camera, that happens to make phone calls.  

I get 10 free gigs of fast internet & 100 free mins of calls a month, which will carry over 1 month if unused.

My balance after running for 2 months.  Wife uses the phone a bit, since I get free calls, and she doesn't.   Phone is basically for emergencies, which, I don't seem to have them either.   I use it occasionally, to find the wife in the store/mall :coffee1:

Used 1.3 gb & 31 mins :cheesy:

image.png.82ce628deefc2c219d09489513224dbe.png

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, BigStar said:

Pixels are available. Pixel 9 XL is just one of @GammaGlobulin's usual trolling fantasies, he'd never buy one of those and knows it. Should just buy a used Android for B5000 and call it a day.

Three years ago, I bought a used Pixel 3a on Shopee. WOT??? Android 12, good 'nuff. Been great, takes good pics, like the size, all I need. With an armored case & tempered glass, it's a tank. Been treated like a tank, too.

Sure.

Right.

Whatever.....