Jas Athwal Labour MP Faces Backlash For Renting Ant-Infested Flats with Black Mould

Social Media

image.png

Jas Athwal, the newly elected Labour MP for Ilford South, has been accused of renting out properties plagued by serious issues, including black mould and ant infestations. Athwal, who owns 15 rental flats, expressed his shock and deep regret over the state of his properties after the allegations surfaced. According to a BBC report, tenants in one block of seven flats claimed they had to frequently clean their bathroom ceilings to remove mould, while a reporter documented evidence of ant infestations in several units.

“The ants are everywhere,” one resident described, pointing to the insects crawling up a door frame. “They are on my kid’s body and on their clothes.” Another tenant reported feeling threatened with eviction by the letting agent if they complained about the conditions or applied for benefits.

Athwal, who has branded himself a “renters’ champion,” insisted he was unaware of the problems, stating that the properties were managed by an external agency. He denied that any tenant had been threatened with eviction. The properties in question require a selective property licence, a system that Athwal himself introduced in December while serving as leader of the Redbridge council. However, the BBC’s investigation found that a search on the council’s public licence register did not show any current licences for the properties.

Labour’s 2024 general election manifesto pledged to protect private renters from exploitation and discrimination, adding to the pressure on Athwal to address the issues highlighted by his tenants. The BBC claimed that tenants who had spoken to their reporter about the substandard conditions were later contacted by the property manager, which seemed to intimidate them into silence. “After receiving these calls they became hesitant about talking to me. This appeared to me to be intimidation,” the BBC’s reporter Joe Pike stated.

In a statement released on Friday night, Athwal expressed his dismay at the state of the flats and apologized. “I’m profoundly sorry,” he said. “It was my understanding all the licences for my properties were up to date, but I have recently seen an email which shared that licences are due to expire, I am in the process of renewing all licences.” He added, “I’m proud to rent out homes with secure tenancies at below-market rents. I want every one of my tenants to have excellent accommodation; I’m shocked at the reported condition of a number of the properties and have asked the managing agent for an explanation and immediate action to rectify any issues.”

A spokesperson for the Redbridge council acknowledged the situation, emphasizing the importance of landlords adhering to licensing requirements. “We are aware of the situation with these properties. In all cases, we expect properties that require a licence to apply for it. Where they do not have a licence, we will send notices and commence enforcement action,” the spokesperson said. “It is important that all landlords apply for their licences. This is about maintaining the standards of our selective licensing scheme and ensuring the safety and wellbeing of people in Redbridge.”

The Labour Party has been approached for comment on the matter, but as of now, there has been no official response. Athwal's case highlights the ongoing challenges in the rental market, where tenants often face substandard living conditions, and underscores the need for stricter enforcement of regulations to protect renters’ rights.

Credit: The Guardian 2024-09-02

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-3.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

4 hours ago, Social Media said:

Athwal insisted he was unaware of the problems, stating that the properties were managed by an external agency. He denied that any tenant had been threatened with eviction.

On the one hand he is "unaware" of the infestations, on the other he denies eviction threats resulting from those infestations. Athwal, you really need to spin this a bit better...