Advice Sought About House Rental in Thailand

I'm new here.  I'd like some advice please.

Background

I have a Non-immigrant 'O' retirement visa and have been in Thailand for a few months now.  I have been staying in hotels but now wish to rent something more permanent for myself.

I understand that my landlord would need to advise Thai immigration that I am staying in their property.  I believe this is done with a TM30 form and supporting documentation (thanks ChatGPT).

I viewed a property a few days ago but the landlord was unwilling to process the administration for the Immigration authorities.  They didn't explain why.

My Questions

What are the important questions to ask a potential landlord, particularly regarding their cooperation with Thai Immigration?  I obviously don't wish to jeopardise my visa.

Where are the best places to find rental properties (I'm assuming online but perhaps not)?  If it helps, I'm in Roi Et province.

Is there anything else that you think I should know at this stage?

Many thanks in advance.

Most higher-end property agencies tend to focus on Bangkok / Pattaya / Phukhet and similar. 

You can check this site for provincial rentals - though quality varies widely:
https://www.renthub.in.th/en/apartment/roi-et

Also, regarding the TM-30 - even if the landlord will not report for you, if they will supply signed copies of their ID, the Housebook for the property, and Chanote for the property, you should be able to file the TM-30 yourself.  This can be verified with your local Immigration Office, to be sure that is all they want. 

You were wise to inquire on the TM-30 issues with the landlord in-advance of signing a lease. 

• Thumbs Up 1

and here's a good example why this TM-30 is a big mess ....   many landlords don't want the hassle of doing paperwork for you ....    they just want you move in and pay the rent,   they feel that your visa issues are your problem not theirs.    It needs a good overhaul imo ....    TM-30 is ridiculous.   In fact the whole visa system is a mess.    

Edited by steven100
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Mick T said:

Many thanks for the replies received.  Appreciated.

Thinking you have missed opportunity for good advice.

No details of type of rental required. 

Your title mentions "house" 

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, Mick T said:

I'm new here.  I'd like some advice please.

Background

I have a Non-immigrant 'O' retirement visa and have been in Thailand for a few months now.  I have been staying in hotels but now wish to rent something more permanent for myself.

I understand that my landlord would need to advise Thai immigration that I am staying in their property.  I believe this is done with a TM30 form and supporting documentation (thanks ChatGPT).

I viewed a property a few days ago but the landlord was unwilling to process the administration for the Immigration authorities.  They didn't explain why.

My Questions

What are the important questions to ask a potential landlord, particularly regarding their cooperation with Thai Immigration?  I obviously don't wish to jeopardise my visa.

Where are the best places to find rental properties (I'm assuming online but perhaps not)?  If it helps, I'm in Roi Et province.

Is there anything else that you think I should know at this stage?

Many thanks in advance.

Driving around is best. Ask people in condos or guesthouses. On google maps try typing "monthly rentals" you should get hits. Also ask at restaurants. The workers can help you.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Mick T said:

ChatGPT has misinformed you.

It is just as much your responsibility to file the TM30 as it is the owner/landlord.

If the owner will not supply you with signed copies of the Tabien Baan + ID card - walk away.

It's common to request a deposit and 2 months' rent in advance.
A min 12-month rental contract is standard.

A detached 3-bed house averages between 6,000 - 7,000 BHT per month.

Apartments average 4,000 - 5,000 per month.

When viewing, check all electric and water installations for efficiency, or damage.

Take photos.

I live in Roi Et and know of some apartments and a couple of houses that may be available.

I've sent a PM.

8 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Other properties that advertise through booking platforms (AirBnb etc) tend to be more honest.

Total opposite, as AirBnB for short term rentals are illegal, and the owners know that.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Other properties that advertise through booking platforms (AirBnb etc) tend to be more honest. It is in their booking rules.

This is incorrect .... AirBnB's are illegal .... not more honest.    haha

19 hours ago, Mick T said:

As long as they give you a copy of their ID then you can just do it yourself or get an agent to do it for you (500THB).

If they won't give you a copy of their ID then Run Forest Run... 

It's common to request a deposit and 2 months' rent in advance.
A min 12-month rental contract is standard.

A detached 3-bed house averages between 6,000 - 7,000 BHT per month.

Apartments average 4,000 - 5,000 per month.

55555:

WHERE?  for sure not anywhere that is popular, maybe Nakorn nowhere
I've never paid 2 months in advance, only 1 with 1 for deposit
Make sure u get copy of ID card & house Book signed plus copy of lease an some immigration want a POA from landlord if you are fling so ask at ur local immigration 
it is the responsibility of the landlord to do the tm 30 but u will be inconvenienced an fined as well if its not done>

airbnb UNDER 30 days illegal 

best way is to first find where oyu want to live than look around an ask at the local shops

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

WHERE?  for sure not anywhere that is popular, maybe Nakorn nowhere
I've never paid 2 months in advance, only 1 with 1 for deposit

Roi Et.

6 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

it is the responsibility of the landlord to do the tm 30 but u will be inconvenienced an fined as well if its not done>

The tenant/occupier is often fined because it is not solely the owner/landlords responsibility to file a TM30.

I rent a nice  2 bedroom house , new construction , with 3 car parking area, and garden. 10K Baht a month, found it by  driving around on my motorbike,. Also did the TM 30 myself as well. Took a Thai who speaks English to immigration , took like 5 minutes and very easy. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, UWEB said:

Just ask the Landlord for a signed copy of his ID Card and Housebook, than you can do it by yourself. Don't forget a copy of the rental Contract.

And take Dated Photos inside and out for any damage. 

12 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Sorry, but the TM 30 system is not to blame.

Many landlords do not want to record that they are collecting rent from a property. The reason is tax evasion. That is one of the main reasons that they will not do the the TM 30.

You can process a TM 30 yourself but you will need a copy of the owners id card and house book. A lease is also required.

A general rule (but not always the case) - cheaper properties stay under the radar. More difficult to extend a visa.

Other properties that advertise through booking platforms (AirBnb etc) tend to be more honest. It is in their booking rules.

There is also a risk if their name is not in the book, it might not be theirs to rent.

22 hours ago, steven100 said:

many landlords don't want the hassle of doing paperwork for you ....    they just want you move in and pay the rent,   they feel that your visa issues are your problem not theirs.   

it's not about your visa, its fear of getting on the radar for having a rental income and potentially becoming liable for tax.

this is also a reason why so many landlords here are unwilling to rent to a home-based business, they do not want you declaring rent they are not paying taxes on as a business expense.  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, n00dle said:

it's not about your visa, its fear of getting on the radar for having a rental income and potentially becoming liable for tax.
this is also a reason why so many landlords here are unwilling to rent to a home-based business, they do not want you declaring rent they are not paying taxes on as a business expense.  

Very true. 

We ended our rent with pre-previous "landlord" in very sour conditions: her dumb brother locked our room, hanged padlock, switched electricity and other nasty things he did if we delayed payment a day or two. 

Luckily I payed "Bank only" and was more than happy to let them know that I'm going to submit all payments to local tax office if they won't return my deposit in three days after I leave. 

So they did, "Bank only" as I requested. 

Thais scare sh*tless of anything related to avoiding taxes. And they break every rule of it. Amazing, right?

Not sure if you have familiarised yourself with the bar scene in 101, but perhaps you could do worse 
than calling in to some of these and asking the local farangs or their better halves.
For example.
1. Riverside Bar, (Colins)
Best time would be a Wednesday night after 6pm and have a chat with either Colin, his wife Apoo
or the locals, (if you can find a sober one). This is on 3073
2. Keows,
Sorry, I do not know what Keow calls her shop anymore but it is located on Rob Muang just before Soi 3.
Best time would be when the local desperados get together for pool on a Friday night. If you do a search for 
restaurants in Roi Et, you should be able to see on the map. Do not take any notice of the pictures, that is her old shop.
2. Lake View Restaurant, (Pats).
This is located at the lake Bueng Planchai.
Cannot provide a best time. can only suggest you just call in.

As I say, do a search for restaurants in Roi Et and they are all on the map fairly close to the centre.

There is also the private FB page, Expat News 101(Roiet). You could join that and post a message.
Good luck.

• Like 1