How to use a SIM Card on Desktop...Obviating the need for a Smartphone?

GammaGlobulin

8 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I need to use a SIM card to my Dtac Service to use LINE and WeChat.

why dont you use the LINE desktop app? they do have one... use qr code to log in...

then use your phone as a hotspot... you dont need to use the phone you just use the hotspot. TRUE has a sim modem wifi machine. contact them...

https://www.amazon.com/Router-Hotspot-Wireless-Internet-Travelling/dp/B0CG76Q4BM

You just need to tell yourself you aren't buying a smartphone.... you're getting a small computer for your pocket that makes phone calls and takes pictures.

I used to use my iPhone for keeping my business records and doing some calculations on simple spread sheets.   But, I agree that most smartphones are overkill for typical users and thus unnecessarily expensive.  Smartphone software also typically has a too short lifespan.

If you already have a LINE account, I think you can use a Chromium based browser and an extension to get most core LINE functionality.

Edited by gamb00ler

Have you considering acquiring the services of a couple of native chappies, to trot around carrying your messages in forked sticks?

Alternatively pop round to your local Big C, there will be any number of stalls invariably manned by attractive young ladies selling basic cellphones for around B1000. Ask the lass to put your SIM in it, and install line for you. Log in to line as normal, and Robert is you father's brother!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Years ago, before smartphones, I bought an interweb plan that required a USB chip that took a SIM card.  That's when I lived in Asia and traveled to the USA, often staying in places with no WIFI.  Worked great for email and web browsing, though that was before streaming and pirating terabytes became a thing.  Being 15-20 years ago, I'm sure it was super slow and not compatible with current networks.  But it looks like they're still available on Amazon in updated configurations, so I can't imagine they're not available in LOS. (Search Amazon for "USB cellular modem")

My question, being an idiot when it comes to Thai cellular plans, is whether they include unlimited interweb?  I have a 12 month AIS SIM and I just stop in at the shop every few trips on my monthly visit to Thailand, where they tell me I don't need to pay anything yet...  I'd sure hate to pay by the GB using a laptop...

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Indeed,  I got rid of LINE,  anyone I want to talk to I can do so on the PC with Messenger, either as a video call or a phone call.

As you are probably aware, anyone on FB is by default on Messenger which can be used from within FB or as a standalone app.

I use both LINE and Facebook/Messenger (chat & video) on my pc through internet connection.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Years ago, before smartphones, I bought an interweb plan that required a USB chip that took a SIM card.  That's when I lived in Asia and traveled to the USA, often staying in places with no WIFI.  Worked great for email and web browsing, though that was before streaming and pirating terabytes became a thing.  Being 15-20 years ago, I'm sure it was super slow and not compatible with current networks.  But it looks like they're still available on Amazon in updated configurations, so I can't imagine they're not available in LOS. (Search Amazon for "USB cellular modem")

My question, being an idiot when it comes to Thai cellular plans, is whether they include unlimited interweb?  I have a 12 month AIS SIM and I just stop in at the shop every few trips on my monthly visit to Thailand, where they tell me I don't need to pay anything yet...  I'd sure hate to pay by the GB using a laptop...

I don't reckon gobbyglam is looking for a dvice to access the  internet.... He can do that already by hot spotting from his new Samsung A55 !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I don't reckon gobbyglam is looking for a dvice to access the  internet.... He can do that already by hot spotting from his new Samsung A55 !

Going back a few threads, I was under the impression he planned to return the A55. 

Quick question, do Thai service providers allow hot spotting?  Some ISP's in the USA don't, at least under normal plans.

1 minute ago, impulse said:

Quick question, do Thai service providers allow hot spotting?  Some ISP's in the USA don't, at least under normal plans.

Yeah I think they all do.

I have an op-top package unlimited internet with AIS.

7 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Yeah I think they all do.

I have an op-top package unlimited internet with AIS.

Good info.  I'll have to try that next time my hotel WiFi goes wonky.  I have an AIS annual plan, but I'm not sure whether it's unlimited data.  I'm only in Thailand for a few days a month, so I may not have popped for unlimited (if that was an option).  And my brain leaks when I sleep.  I just visit AIS every few months to see if I need to give them more money.

You can run an Android emulator such as BlueStacks on a Windows desktop which enables you to download and run many smartphone apps.  Be aware though that these can be resource hungry and can slow your computer. 

25 minutes ago, Homburg said:

You can run an Android emulator such as BlueStacks on a Windows desktop which enables you to download and run many smartphone apps.  Be aware though that these can be resource hungry and can slow your computer. 

Very much so! I've tested BlueStacks in a Windows desktop, and found it to not only be very resource hungry as you say, but it interfered with my A/V and other security software, and despite all that, was very slow even on a powerful desktop.

To the OP:

You're somewhat confusing as you start out by saying you don't want to use Samsung or Apple and then say to want to rid yourself of smartphones.

I can't comment about Apple, being an Android man, but Samsung, (that I don't like either), is NOT the only game in town. I have a HMD Nokia 6.1 which has no "bloatware" and does the job splendidly.  Other Android phones are available. 

Also, remember that here are very few public phones left these days if you're going to rely on them.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, impulse said:

I have an AIS annual plan, but I'm not sure whether it's unlimited data.  I'm only in Thailand for a few days a month, so I may not have popped for unlimited (if that was an option).  And my brain leaks when I sleep.  I just visit AIS every few months to see if I need to give them more money.

Sign in to the AIS app and it'll show details of your plan/usage/credit etc.

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

12GB RAM is not enough.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

not enough for what ?

Enough for whatever comes my way.

For example:

I might wish to use the A55 as a web server....like this:

image.png.23967b910cce7df0b7664f8debf9b09b.png

Still, one should be thankful for 12GB of RAM.....  I guess....because....

The COBALT QUBE....

image.png.566d5280e824179c8b492f28903a8108.png

Had a maximum of 512 MB of RAM....

As you can see here....

image.png.2a98e27e7bcd4e53f6d1f035c255fd9e.png

Also, the A55 is not as big s the Qube...3.....

NOTE4:  Where is Larry, these days, anyway?

HAWAII?

or

Kyoto?

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Tim K said:

I was just thinking of buying one, have a53 now. Battery starting to wear away.

I could take it off from you.

I must keep it.

I will not spend the time and energy to switch phones again.

I lost a lot of data from LINE and maybe WeChat, due to a problem with the NOTE4, and the fact that Marshmallow completely stopped working for LINE three days before I made the switch.

No more changes for awhile.

On paper, the phone specs are quite good for the money.

• Thumbs Up 1

But i agree with the OP, one of the ways is to get USB Lte modem,
unfortunately most of them are Chinese and lack voice dialing and answering.

They do support SMS for OTPs. And I've even written a small bot that reads SMS from the modem and sends to my Telegram/Whatsapp  neat. Left my Russian SIM with a bank tied to it in my flat and read my OTPs that way.

6 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I lost a lot of data from LINE and maybe WeChat, due to a problem with the NOTE4, and the fact that Marshmallow completely stopped working for LINE three days before I made the switch.

If your LINE data is valuable.... do you make regular backups?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

If your LINE data is valuable.... do you make regular backups?

Via Google Drive. Yes.

But, the NOTE4 somehow failed to backup most.

Anyway...

Glad to see the last of NOTE4...

Until I install Linux on it....anyway...

• Haha 1