Swiss man in Phuket acquitted of assaulting doctor

snoop1130

5 hours ago, klauskunkel said:
16 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Just what Thailand needs, another innocent, acquitted, "aggressive, crazy foreigner".

"insufficient evidence" does not equate to innocence

Yes it does under the legal system that assumes everyone is innocent until proven guilty.  He was not proven guilty, therefore he remains innocent of the charge.  It means that there was no evidence on which to find him guilty!

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, mikebell said:
16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This guy has received a very soft response from Thailand's judiciary process. 

Ask yourself why this wealthy business man in an illegal mansion is found not guilty by a Thai court.

I first have to ask why its an Illegal Mansion ?

5 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

"...folding stuff would have most certainly been involved".

Why, rationally?  There was no evidence of a kick, just her word against his, hence the benefit of the doubt given to him.

I agree, didn't look like he kicked her from the video... she just got up and walked away... I saw no kicking.  

Exactly, no one could see that from his video.

7 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

"...folding stuff would have most certainly been involved".

Why, rationally?  There was no evidence of a kick, just her word against his, hence the benefit of the doubt given to him.

You have been in jail Lou ,you should know the system 

I do, but how does my incarceration equate to knowing about the bribery of a judge, a situation that so many posters think they know happened in this case?

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, gravia said:

Watching the video and his anger at the 2 women just sitting peacfully on the wooden platform, He shouts get off just <deleted> off <deleted> off. He claimed he slipped and kicked her/ but by his agressive nature not so sure. He appears to be a bully and horrible man  had it been some big russian men sitting there things would have been different.

Another stupid court decisision, more brown envelopes, should have been kicked out a total arshole

He's allowed to do that repeatedly if necessary... That doesn't make him a nice man, but shouting at people in an aggressive manner is not illegal. 

I initially thought that there was clear video evidence of the Swiss-man kicking the Thai lady in the back - this was not the case. 

I most definitely agree with you, had these two been larger males the situation would quite likely never have existed, or the tables would be turned significantly. 

The facet of this 'confrontation' which made this news worth is the 'social value' Thai's place on Doctors - had the lady on the steps been an office worker there would not have been the media outrage to bring this our screens in the first place, thus, no police attention and no further response. 

I have to agree with LL and a few others on this one. As much as it 'sits against' my ideals, there was no legal way of proving the assault and thus in court its a 'he said she said' - I'm still surprised that given the media attention earlier protests that this led to an acquittal. 

1 hour ago, ryandb said:

didn't know that part but isn't her son a cop or that was claimed by the Swiss dude

They had friends who were cops . Can't remember if the cop bought him a gun or he bought the cop one as a gift .

Many years ago I was in Hua Hin, and was walking in the beach area south of the town. I walked from the road to the beach, maybe 100 metres. It was only once I reached the beach that I realised that I had walked through the garden of the large white house nearby. There was no fencing or anything to demarcate the garden from the public area.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:
17 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Contact or not, that guy sounds like a demented intolerant a hole, and he shouldn't be living in Thailand with that temper. 

Who are you to decide who should or should not live in Thailand?

Be careful, he's considering your own validity for remaining. Better have a bag packed just in case.... 😆 

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don’t know how he can be acquitted when there was video evidence of an assault. 

That said - the acquittal does bring into question the validity of comments in other threads that us foreigners are treated unequally….  This guy has received a very soft response from Thailands judiciary process. 

I think many of us here who see someone attack someone horribly in this manner deserves a lot worse whatever their nationality. 

Very easy - a brown envelope stuffed with cash!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Wasn’t there a video ? (His video) ? 

Yes,and a witness ,the doctors friend ,sitting right next to her....BUT

regards worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its difficult to see if he kicked her intentionally or he slipped, either way he has been acquitted.  But his swearing at the 2 ladies is hardly an appropriate way to speak to a stranger, especially a lady. His actions certainly suggest that he an aggressive person so I hope he at the least got reprimanded for that outburst whether he paid hush money or not!!!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Yes,and a witness ,the doctors friend ,sitting right next to her....BUT

regards worgeordie

But he likely paid a substantial sum to get them to recant their accusation (now, "no evidence"), settle the matter of disrespect, and paid a "service charge."

I dunno about the elephant farm. His main issue now seems to be getting the threat of deportation lifted.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You could well be right, you could also well be wrong, either way, he was not convicted.  I doubt that there was money involved as the doctor's father has said that she was upset by the ruling, something that she's not likely to say if she had been compensated.

It wasn't she who was compensated 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

Perhaps you are correct.. He was also facing allegations for illegally obtained properties if i recall. I wonder if that as well as his immigration problems also got acquitted? 

That's right.  There were before and after aerial photos of the land he acquired for a housing development by the sea. I seem to recall.  Looked pretty obvious that he had encroached on national forest reserve land. 

Getting his acquittal and silencing the land encroachment charges must have cost him a pretty penny.  Now only the cost of the visa to go. 

Actually I think the visa revocation is the only thing that was unfair, as they didn't wait for his court case.  But Anutin saw a big grandstanding opportunity to capitalise on racist anti farang sentiment.  He and the Swiss guy and Thai wife are all disgusting.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Cameroni said:

You can't really see it from the video.

You can't see he kicked her.

And the way she walked away, any kick couldn't be have been very hard.

But what you can see, he keeps insulting her (a compoundable offence also in Switzerland) before and after the " kick".

If someone slips, there is a break in the flow of speech.

And if someone slips and accidently kicks someone,  even in Switzerland people would apologize.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So you think that the case against him was about a few expletives and "threats" from his wife to someone who was thought to be a trespasser?  Seriously?  He was rude and she was verbally aggressive...so what?

Did I ever say it was about a few expletives and threats??? If you watch the video he was being and a**hole. If you think it is okay for people to be abusive and kicking people then it is not a good reflection on you. Would he have acted in that manner if a man was sitting there? I do not think so.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

As I said back when this incident first happened. 

1) The video showed no evidence of any physical contact.

2) He was well within his rights to not want people trespassing on his garden. 

What some people might not recall, or may not be aware of, is that his garden is open to the public beach with no fence to stop people wandering onto his lawn.
He reported that on several occasions he had come home to find groups of tourists (most likely Chinese) in his garden. He was understandably annoyed by this.  In his position I would have probably chased those two people off the steps as well.  It's perhaps unfortunate that all Asians have black hair, so it's not possible to tell if someone is Thai or Chinese. 

Nothing he did was wrong, it was private property, and people should respect that. 

And for those who will no doubt say "oh but the steps were illegally built on the beach".  Explain me how he was supposed to know that?  He rented the property in good faith and anyone renting a house like that would naturally assume the steps were legal, were part of the property and therefore private. 

It wasn't his "garden"

It wasn't even fenced in, and whoever built these stairs knew very well why not to fence it in.

Anybody who has lived in Thailand for longer than a couple of weeks knows that you cannot legally build like this. 

And if he was too thick to give a shït, his wife and her high contacts in the police could have told him.

But reading your and many other posts,  there seem to be an awful lot of ugly foreigners who think and probably act like him - exactly the reasons the Thais are so upset.

Edited by Lorry
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, andygrr said:

I agree you can't see any contact and if she was kicked / assaulted she showed no signs of it when they got up and moved. If she had been kicked I would have expected to see some sort of reaction like grabbing her back in pain or at least turning or jumping at the time or the assault but no they just got up and walked away in the video.

You don't understand what kicking means to Thais and how serious it is.

Kicking for them may not even involve bodily contact. 

Try kicking a motorcycle guy. But write your last will first. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cameroni said:

You can't really see it from the video.

Thanks. I had not seen before. Certainly an assault was shown. I take your point of not actually seeing battery.

11 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

Thanks. I had not seen before. Certainly an assault was shown. I take your point of not actually seeing battery.

If I had to put money on it, I would say he gave her a mild kick, but you cannot  really see it very well on the video. 

I understand the Thai courts' decision and why they erred on the side of caution. It seems like a wise and equitable call, even though this Swiss man was reprehensible on many levels, not to say outright dislikeable.

Edited by Cameroni