Man Injured by Collapsed Toilet in Pattaya Rental Room Incident

Georgealbert

IMG_5133.jpeg

Picture from responders.

In the early hours of September 4, at approximately 03.00, rescue teams from Sawang Boriboon Thammasathan Pattaya were dispatched following reports of an injury caused by a collapsed toilet in a rental room located in Soi Sukhumvit Pattaya 46, Nong Prue Subdistrict, Bang Lamung District, Chonburi.

Upon arrival at the scene, which consisted of a row of single-story rental units, the rescue team entered room number 8 to find Mr. Pattharun, a 22-year-old male, lying on the bathroom floor in distress. He had sustained a large laceration on the back of his right thigh, with blood pooling on the floor. The rescue team quickly provided first aid before rushing him to Pattaya City Hospital for urgent medical care.

An inspection of the bathroom revealed that the toilet had collapsed and broken, leaving sharp fragments across the floor. Bloodstains were found throughout the room, evidence of the severity of the injury. Mr. Bird (a pseudonym), a friend of the injured man, recounted the incident, stating that they had been sitting outside the room when Mr. Pattharun went into the bathroom. Shortly after, a loud crash was heard, followed by his friend's cries for help. Upon entering the bathroom, Mr. Bird found his friend lying on the floor amidst the broken toilet and immediately called for emergency assistance.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-04

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2

He's lucky the shards didn't cut his femoral artery (though thats more to the front).

Razor sharp stuff....  (splintered porcelain )...  As other have pointed out, I wonder if he was 'sat squat' (as the above picture depicts)... or if the toilet itself was simply very wobbly.

I've sat on a few 'unstable loos' in my time here - one of them last week was quite wonky, had a loose seat and a wet floor... one to be avoided, but when needs must....  It lead to a balancing act that turned a simple experience a somewhat perilous endeavour, though I there was greater concern for my clothing than a collapsing bowl.

Over the years toilets in Thailand, specially Bangkok have significantly improved, not quite at the level of the 'Japan experience' nevertheless, getting 'caught out while out' is not longer the concern it once was when looking a clean 'Western toilet' that doesn't have water all over the floor or pish all over the seat... 

In Turkey recently - both my Son and I refused 3 bathrooms due to being filthy before finding a hotel and 'having a coffee'...   and of course using the facilities - I'm glad that for the most part Thailand has evolved beyond that towards the more civilised part of the 'bathroom spectrum'... 

There was a safety poster on each of our offshore South Thailand oil platforms showing a body that had bled out as a result of squatting on a sit-down toilet.  The bowl broke, and the lacerations bled out.  It was a haunting picture.  Not pixelated, to have the maximum impact.  Something you just can't un-see.

We still found occasional oily safety bootprints on the bowls.

Edited by impulse

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

He's lucky the shards didn't cut his femoral artery (though thats more to the front).

Razor sharp stuff....  (splintered porcelain )...  As other have pointed out, I wonder if he was 'sat squat' (as the above picture depicts)... or if the toilet itself was simply very wobbly.

I've sat on a few 'unstable loos' in my time here - one of them last week was quite wonky, had a loose seat and a wet floor... one to be avoided, but when needs must....  It lead to a balancing act that turned a simple experience a somewhat perilous endeavour, though I there was greater concern for my clothing than a collapsing bowl.

Over the years toilets in Thailand, specially Bangkok have significantly improved, not quite at the level of the 'Japan experience' nevertheless, getting 'caught out while out' is not longer the concern it once was when looking a clean 'Western toilet' that doesn't have water all over the floor or pish all over the seat... 

In Turkey recently - both my Son and I refused 3 bathrooms due to being filthy before finding a hotel and 'having a coffee'...   and of course using the facilities - I'm glad that for the most part Thailand has evolved beyond that towards the more civilised part of the 'bathroom spectrum'... 

40 years ago I knew every farang toilet on Beach Road. Got caught out too many times before that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, roger101 said:

40 years ago I knew every farang toilet on Beach Road. Got caught out too many times before that.

There a certain 'cottaging' vibe to that response that I'm sure was unintentional !!!

... of course, I get your point... too many times I've foundmyself wonder around looking for a 'clean loo'... 

There have been bathrooms I dare not enter without enclosed footwear !!..

I used say - the moment we cross the boarder into Malaysia, the mount of water on the floor and everywhere else tripples... Thailand toilets were bad in the south, in Malaysia they were awful (20 + years ago that is)... 

Its the same in Indonesia (in any toilet used by the public ) - there is always water all over the floor, even in the higher end Malls.

Its the same at Suvarnabumi airport...  People manage to pis$ all over the floor.

The toilet habits of the majority of the worlds population leaves a lot of be desired of a so called civilisation. 

Travelling around Thailand with my 70 year old mother all those years ago was a real problem.

On 9/4/2024 at 3:57 PM, richard_smith237 said:

There a certain 'cottaging' vibe to that response that I'm sure was unintentional !!!

... of course, I get your point... too many times I've foundmyself wonder around looking for a 'clean loo'... 

There have been bathrooms I dare not enter without enclosed footwear !!..

I used say - the moment we cross the boarder into Malaysia, the mount of water on the floor and everywhere else tripples... Thailand toilets were bad in the south, in Malaysia they were awful (20 + years ago that is)... 

Its the same in Indonesia (in any toilet used by the public ) - there is always water all over the floor, even in the higher end Malls.

Its the same at Suvarnabumi airport...  People manage to pis$ all over the floor.

The toilet habits of the majority of the worlds population leaves a lot of be desired of a so called civilisation. 

Traveling around Thailand with my 70 year old  mother all those years ago was a real problem.

Typically Thai toilet installations involve using some sort of glue/cement to attach fixture to tiles. IMO insane. Rock back and forth at all and can break loose. The installers (won't call them plumbers) also throw away the wax gasket that links toilet with sewer pipe. They don't use those "donuts" nor do they use anchor bolts.

Having a new toilet put in while I am away. I was insistent they use proper bolts and gasket. Will they do it?

Here is a diagram of how it should be done so that it works and lasts...

ReplaceAToilet_HowToGraphic_081522.webp.47af7a57892cd2d525ddf544d3caea27.webp