Aussies now need an ETA to enter Thailand

56 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

So you enter some data on a website and this makes you trackable? How? I don't understand the mechanics of it...

51 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

They will have more information on when and where you plan to enter/exit the country.

But this doesn't make you "trackable" as claimed, it's info you put in, whether you adhere to it or not...how can this:

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

track the movement of foreigners entering Thailand

Edited by klauskunkel
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

They will have more information on when and where you plan to enter/exit the country.

After you register, you are already on the electronic database so no need to stand at a desk and see an actual person.

Passport scan, facial recognition and fingerprint scan will happen at the automated gate as usual. 

So the ETA will decide if you come to Thailand too much?

Just now, redwood1 said:

So the ETA will decide if you come to Thailand too much?

They could easily limit the amount of ETAs within a given period.

I can't see them doing that though, but you never know with Thailand. 

6 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

The ETA for Singapore and electronic entry/exit gates work extremely well. We live in hope that Thailand can implement the same system, and ensure it works for those on retirement, marriage, work and business visas. Not just for tourists. Oh, and yes, keep it free. These ETAs can be an impediment to travellers and discourage travel. Time will tell.

I agree about Singapore, and no passport chops

But, I don't think it is an ETA, I could be wrong,  idk

Because visa waiver passport holders  do not actually have to complete it or show to airlines before boarding. They have kiosks in the arrival hall.

As flight crew I use same app

Edited by Captain Monday

12 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

So they're replacing the visa, that was waived, with an ETA.

This will stay free for all of five minutes I suspect.

Why would Aussies moan about an ETA when their govt requires one for most foreigners from visa waiver countries?

for visa waiver countries are not visas because they are not subject to Embassy/ Coonsular review and are approved online in a matter of hours as routine, unless one is on some kind of blacklist, and supposedly that is the point. To screen pax before they are boarded for eligibility

All these countries are copying each other.

K-ETA for korea, been using it for a few years, Very easy

Japan already have an app one can complete online to avoid paper form

It also is free and has to be completed each time

Im sure that will become mandatory before 2030

*News stories this week Japan will be rolling out J-ESTA, by 2030! 

If you complain about dodgy Thai government apps try Japan. In 6 years I hope they can figure it out. Sheesh----😬

jester.png

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

I agree about Singapore, and no passport chops

But, I don't think it is an ETA, I could be wrong,  idk

Because visa waiver passport holders  do not actually have to complete it or show to airlines before boarding. They have kiosks in the arrival hall.

As flight crew I use same app

Singapore requires an on line completed arrival card, much like the TM6. You fill it out within 72 hrs of arrival and get an approval email back within hours. It contains much the same info as an ETA does so pretty much works the same and makes immi a doddle. Citizens and PR holders (maybe others) are exempt. I have seen tourists without approval sent off to the side to complete a form manually.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

But if filling out an online ETA means you can use auto gates on arrival then why is that a bad thing? Do you have an actual answer for that? Why is it inconvenient?

I'm going to hold off judgement until they implement the system and we see how well it works.

But I wouldn't dismiss the possibility that the auto gates are quicker today simply because so few people are using them, and they may gum up when they're inundated.  My happen.  May not.  We'll just have to see.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

This will stay free for all of five minutes I suspect.

Until they can think of a reason to incorporate/ justify and collect an  "arrival/insurance" fee into it !

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

657915de48f04e79b34c14c5dd799465-australian-passport-2000z-2.png

Australians planning a getaway to Thailand will soon have an extra step to complete before boarding their flight. The Thai government is introducing a mandatory electronic travel authorisation (ETA), which must be obtained ahead of travel.

This new system, introduced by Thailand’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, is designed to enhance the screening and tracking of foreigners entering the country.

“The ETA will be an important tool for screening and tracking the movement of foreigners entering Thailand.”

The Thai ETA is required for travellers from nearly 100 visa-waiver countries, including Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, Canada, the United States, Singapore, China, Hong Kong, and most European nations. It’s a system similar to the USA’s ESTA and the upcoming travel authorisation systems in Europe, the UK, and Japan.

Scheduled for a pilot launch by December this year, with a full roll-out by June 2025, ETA applications will be processed online via the official Thai e-Visa website. Unlike other countries’ ETAs, which may allow multiple entries over several years, the Thai ETA must be applied for each time a visitor plans to enter Thailand. However, it’s expected to be free of charge.

Once approved, ETA holders will benefit from the convenience of automated passport gates at immigration checkpoints. This comes alongside the recent extension of stay for tourists and business travellers from visa-free countries, who can now enjoy up to 60 days in Thailand, with the possibility to extend for another 30 days upon arrival.

In addition, Thailand introduced the Destination Thailand Visa (DTV), tailored for remote workers, digital nomads, and visitors attending approved activities. Priced at 10,000 baht (430 Aussie dollars), this visa allows a stay of up to five years, provided applicants can prove they have at least 500,000 baht for the duration of their stay.

The DTV also covers the holder’s spouse and dependent children, offering them a five-year stay with multiple entries, extendable by another 180 days, reported Executive Traveller.

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of Executive Traveller

Source: The Thaiger

-- 2024-09-04

news-footer-4.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

None of this nonsense was ever neccessary before the floods of Maoist and russian triads, mafia or  lone misrangers . Not neccessary now either but TIT and as most cou7ntries tell their citizens to distract from government misdeeds : the foreigner per se is bad. As we can not put them on chains we must find other methods . To all normal tourists and expats ( est. 98% of them) : choose destinations with your feet..........and wallet.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Well 6 years is exactly how long it took Thai immigration to get the online 90 day reporting to work more often than not.........Yep 6 years.......I bet a few good programmers from Apple or Microsoft could have had it up and running in a week.

Good programmers from Apple? I bet a small  team of University of California - Berkeley students could have a better APP up in a weekend , for beer money and pizza.

I am doing my online TM30 now. "In Progress". Most people need to watch 2 or 3 youTubes  to decipher that counter intuitive monster.

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Will they refuse entry without one. Many airlines are going to self check in. You scan your passport at a machine and it prints a boarding pass. Your first interaction with staff is at the queue to board. If the airline is liable for refusal of entry they will need to have staff checking ETAs. They could put a question about it at the machine but some people are stupid and tick yesto anything.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

There was never any visa to be replaced.

One can only assume English is not your first language.

• Confused 2

55 minutes ago, mancub said:

Until they can think of a reason to incorporate/ justify and collect an  "arrival/insurance" fee into it !

That is a great idea! For tourists make it 300 baht per day, to include complrehensive travel/accident insurance.

Whilst  building  a massive  fund to improve infrastructure, environmental damage  mitigation, and the Tourist police cadre.

• Sad 1

check Internet and look at ETIAS , you will have more information on what s going on applicable mid 2025.You will better understand the ETA .......and why it s gonna be free of charge until mid 2025...... go , figure out..... I would bet the price will be 300 THB ....you remember the recent flip flop sea snake.....

PS ; sorry Captain Monday I was typing and did t see you post although my bet is slightly different from yours...

Edited by decca60
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

Will they refuse entry without one. Many airlines are going to self check in.

The US system ESTA has been in operation some time. Airlines say you can be refused boarding if not in possession of an ESTA. US immigration say you can be refused entry if not in possession.

The Thais say "up to you".

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The US system ESTA has been in operation some time. Airlines say you can be refused boarding if not in possession of an ESTA. US immigration say you can be refused entry if not in possession.

The Thais say "up to you".

Doesn't really answer the question. The airlines will need to stop self check ins if they need to monitor everybody to check for ESTA. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Passport scan, facial recognition and fingerprint scan will happen at the automated gate as usual. 

Biometrics, ah yes, for security, to make sure you are who you say you are, gone to far already IMO.