Thailand Mourns Loss of Carabao Rock Legend Ko Carabao

boa3-1.png

Yesterday, September 5, saw heartfelt mourning as fans of the iconic 80s Thai rock band Carabao bid farewell to Chawalit Chalorngpong, affectionately known as Ko Carabao. Ko passed away peacefully, marking the end of an era for one of Thailand’s most influential music groups.

The band's official page delivered the sombre news with a heartfelt message, sharing a touching picture and a note that read, “Deep condolences on the passing of Chawalit Chalorngpong (Ko Carabao). May Ko rest in peace and journey to a better place with love and sorrow.”

Carabao, established in 1981 and forever shaping Thailand’s music landscape, remains beloved for their socially conscious and reflective songs. Led by National Artist Yuenyong Opakul, popularly known as Add, the band’s blend of rock, blues, and traditional Thai music captured the hearts of many across generations.

Ko’s contributions to Carabao were immense, from his musical prowess to his humble, inspiring personality. His passing has left fans and fellow musicians deeply saddened, resonating throughout the Thai music community.

Tributes have been pouring in since the announcement, highlighting Ko's integral role in Carabao’s enduring legacy. One fan echoed the collective sentiment: “Ko Carabao was an inspiration to many. His music and spirit will live on.”

As the band’s vast discography, including hits like “Made in Thailand” and “Welcome to Thailand,” continues to inspire, Ko Carabao’s memory will be cherished forever.

Photo: The Thaiger

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-06

news-footer-4.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 8
  • Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

He was a legend. Even the young ones like that band. Great music. An icon. His passing will be a big loss. 

Chavalit Chalormpong was a relatively new addition to Carabao. But he's well-known and previously been drummer for other bands and singers including Tai Orathai before joining Carabao.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

9 hours ago, john donson said:

not a word how old he was.. or died of...

50 years old.

Don't see any reports saying what was wrong with him, other than he'd been ill for a while. 

(Update: liver cancer according to one report).

Edited by KhaoNiaw

When Carabao or Maleehuanna had concerts near our home I always made sure I went to these concerts. Both great talents, even at my house it's the only Thai music that I listen too. RIP

Never been a fan at all and don't know any Thai music fans that are, it's a niche  genre of watered down original phua cheewit merged with rock so I can see why it attracts foreign fans. The whole persona of the band has always seemed phoney, with the founder on the one hand a yellow shirt conservative supporter of the last coup, but fronting as one of the people concerned with social ill's and inequalities, only as far as I know he rarely if ever did in his music. I am not denying their popularity over the years, but they never really changed and the music was never what it professed to be, it could and should have been a voice for change and progress but never was. 

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, kwilco said:

there doesn't seem to be any "people's opposition" in THailand anymore - who can pick up the torch?

Opposition to what? Aed was one of the establishment, not fighting against it. He called Prayuth his brother!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

I saw Carabao live a few times back in the 1980s, loved those concerts, loved their music. Also one night in the late 1980s I was drinking in a Bangkok rock pub and drummer Ko and bass player Ott from Carabao were there jamming with some other band. I always chatted with the guys when I had a chance and found them all to be friendly guys, especially Lek Carabao. Actually, over the years I've found the Thai musicians are about the only Thai men that I genuinely like, they don't have that attitude thing that every other Thai male seems to have.

17 minutes ago, grain said:

I saw Carabao live a few times back in the 1980s, loved those concerts, loved their music. Also one night in the late 1980s I was drinking in a Bangkok rock pub and drummer Ko and bass player Ott from Carabao were there jamming with some other band. I always chatted with the guys when I had a chance and found them all to be friendly guys, especially Lek Carabao. 

Probably early 1990s if Ko was the drummer. I think he joined '90 or '91. The original drummer from the 'classic' 1980s lineup was Pao. Though Ko was the band's longest serving drummer.
And it's not that Ko (โก้ )  that's died - it's another Ko (โก๋) (slight difference in the Thai spelling). The Ko that died is more known by the nickname โก๋ ร้อยวง - Ko of 100 Bands - because he played with so many bands. I think Carabao called him โก๋ คาราบาว out of respect and appreciation for his recent time with the band. But the โก้ / โก๋ similarity also seems to have confused a lot of Thai fans. 

On 9/7/2024 at 7:55 AM, nobodysfriend said:

Spirit in the sky ...

Great musicians .

RIP .

This was number one in the Thai Charts when I first came to Thailand, I remember buying the 'Cassette'. It was playing everywhere.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kwilco said:

there doesn't seem to be any "people's opposition" in THailand anymore - who can pick up the torch?

Rap against Dictatorship was the last one I remember, not sure what happened to them but they got banned and didn't even mention Thailand buy name. 

Can some one upload that vid please.

Rap-Against-Dictatorship-in-Thailand-Thumbnails-web.webp.6f8bd19eddbc918f0acc7c5c4d15b1f0.webp 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Rap against Dictatorship was the last one I remember, not sure what happened to them but they got banned and didn't even mention Thailand buy name. 

Can some one upload that vid please.

Rap-Against-Dictatorship-in-Thailand-Thumbnails-web.webp.6f8bd19eddbc918f0acc7c5c4d15b1f0.webp 

If Carabao had been anti establishment they would not still be around to retire

• Thanks 2