Destination Thailand Visa Gains Popularity Among Expats

35 minutes ago, Lanny Wilkinson said:

Sounds like a great plan.  Does the 500,000 Baht have to be in a Thai Bank or can proof come from a bank from another country? What documentation is required of the 500,000 Baht? 

Nope, just in your own name. I'm looking at it for my December renewal right now. I just spoke to someone who went and did it in Malaysia and had no issues. This was for the freelancer type as he's in his 30s like me, not the retirement one.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, ryandb said:

Nope, just in your own name. I'm looking at it for my December renewal right now. I just spoke to someone who went and did it in Malaysia and had no issues. This was for the freelancer type as he's in his 30s like me, not the retirement one.

Do you know what documentation ? Is it a bank statement from home country, a statement from the country you apply in .

If its anything like an OA retire visa, you cant apply in one country and show savings in another.

49 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Do you know what documentation ? Is it a bank statement from home country, a statement from the country you apply in .

If its anything like an OA retire visa, you cant apply in one country and show savings in another.

Lots of reports of guys getting DTVs from places like Laos, Vietnam etc... showing money in the bank in their home country

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, renaissanc said:

Please improve the Marriage Visa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been doing the one year extensions with all the forms, photos, and piles of documents for nearly 40 years now.

You have to blame the scam marriages for all your extra documentation , however the new Destination Thailand  Visa may help to make the piles of documents lower for you.

Edited by itsari
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

You'd have to travel out of the country every 6 months though which could be annoying. I'd rather file the papers for the marriage extension than do a car trip to some land border or fly out and come back the next day. All most effort and time than papers at immigration.

I agree one day to do my Marriage extension leave home on Koh Chang, take a 9am ferry, home at 4.30 pm, I do all the paperwork in that time too, even the home visit now, is not too bad no BMW anymore with a gang of officers, just the one guy from the Island's sub-office. 90day easy for me I do it on my way to do shopping on KC. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

While exact statistics are still unavailable, estimates from Thai embassies in neighbouring countries suggest that over 1,000 applications have been submitted worldwide in just under two months. Most of these applications appear to come from digital nomads looking to take advantage of the visa's flexible terms, writes Barry Kenyon for Pattaya Mail.

So 1,000 applications world wide and how many got it ? So nobody knows any stats really. I wonder what countries the majority of these  Nomads are from. 

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I agree one day to do my Marriage extension leave home on Koh Chang, take a 9am ferry, home at 4.30 pm, I do all the paperwork in that time too, even the home visit now, is not too bad no BMW anymore with a gang of officers, just the one guy from the Island's sub-office. 90day easy for me I do it on my way to do shopping on KC. 

that's the worst case scenario even given your location. It takes me about 4 hours to do extension. The closest border to me is Mae Sai and that's a 9 hour round trip in the car not including the time/hassle it takes to walk over the border and back. Even if they allowed you to do that back to back for 5 years it would be worse than the extension at immigration.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, renaissanc said:

Please improve the Marriage Visa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been doing the one year extensions with all the forms, photos, and piles of documents for nearly 40 years now.

No.1 bull<deleted> process on the earth.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

that's the worst case scenario even given your location. It takes me about 4 hours to do extension. The closest border to me is Mae Sai and that's a 9 hour round trip in the car not including the time/hassle it takes to walk over the border and back. Even if they allowed you to do that back to back for 5 years it would be worse than the extension at immigration.

Don't forget I spend about 2 hr. just sitting/queuing for ferries, actual time spent in the Immigration office this year was 4 hrs. that's the longest ever, because my new passport reset my application time to January, full of Tourists getting extensions was a pain. Best time to do extensions IME is in the rainy season, June-August for me. Yes I know I could leave and start again, but at 73, I don't want that hassle.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

All brought on by Falangs doing scam marriages, I seem to remember a 24yro was caught out 'Married' to a 84yro woman, just gave her some money.

LOL good luck with that. You're required to appear in person together so I think that would fall apart before the documents were presented.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1