Don’t kill the golden goose! Tax reforms may drive away expats

webfact

6 minutes ago, ukrules said:

No, there are many with much larger incomes than me and it's all offshore. I'm a minnow in comparison

Think of average man selling his house which he purchased 30 years ago with plans on retiring to Thailand, comes over, checks it out by renting a place for a couple of years, he's now resident - sell his house and boom - his tax liability back home is ZERO, but over in Thailand it's 35%.

As a percentage of total Western expats here, how many people are going to make several hundreds of thousands Pound profit and retire to Thailand, in the majority it's doesn't attract that level of wealthy person. Anyway, I'm pretty certain we'll find that house sale proceeds will not be taxed at 35% and that exceptions or other rules will apply. 

EDIT TO ADD: or, as another as said, remit those funds whilst not tax resident and life is sweet.

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

7 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Anyway, I'm pretty certain we'll find that house sale proceeds will not be taxed at 35% and that exceptions or other rules will apply. 

But currently under Thai RD rules is this not where we are - that it gets taxed at whatever marginal rate when remitted as income (if realised after 31/12/2023)?

What "other rules" are likely to be applied?

When i resided here in the 80's and you had stayed more than 180days to leave you had to have a tax exempt certificate. If you proved to the revenue dept your income came from outside you got the certificate free othewise it was  i think about 2500 baht  fee for the certificate to leave the country. 

Anun Pryachum  the best PM Thsiland ever had cancelled it when he became PM. 

So this tax idea for foreigners is not good but it's not new. 

1 hour ago, Johno57 said:

Obviously this has not been thought about in depth, and their was the idea of charging the tourist a small amount to enter the country which was dismissed as it might affect tourism, and now this idea will really hurt the common thai business as NO retired person will accept a double tax and make thailand home..

I believe they have only "shelved" this arrival/tourist  tax because they found it too difficult to implement, like many other of their grand schemes. 

2 hours ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

Ha ha, good lord. Describing the sad old soaks who retire to Thailand as the “Golden Goose”

Who will b pleading for tourists and expats when they find better places to live or visit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andycoops said:

If you have multiple bank accounts in multiple countries, like some people I know and you tell them you have 1 account in 1 country.

One account in Thailand, that's it.

If they insist on more it's bye bye Thailand

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Derek B said:

Elsewhere the picture is very different.

It is not about GDP it is about the 1,000s of expats living locally.

There can be no income tax based on residentcy without representation & benefits.

In the rural areas the 65K-150K a month typically spent locally will be lost if expats leave - it will hurt the locals personally big time.

That's nonsense, no taxation without representation refers to one country being governed and taxed by another, that is not the case here. Everyone pays tax where ever they live and work, Thailand is no different. And there's no reason to expect benefits in Thailand which are driven by the Social Security system, to which expats don't pay (except those with work permits).

A country's GDP is the sum of all money spent or earned so yes, that 65k - 150k a month spent locally is a part of GDP, of which foreigner contributions are minimal.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1