Quality sofa in Bangkok, maybe built in Bangkok - where to get one?

OneMoreFarang

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I had a custom leather couch done at S. C. Leather. They have a factory showroom in Bangkok. It is an exquisite sectional. High quality brown leather. Done to my specs. After 6 years it looks like new, with the leather worn in just a bit. It is ridiculously comfortable. Comparable couches were 100,000 baht and up. This was around 30,000. Highly recommended. Look them up. 

Another follow-up about them.

They now also replied to my second email with some prices and more information.

They don't show prices on their website, so I won't publish here all the details.

But to give you an idea. A Chesterfield three seat sofa is in the price range of about 30,000 THB in velvet and 10k to 15k more in "Genuine cow leather (wash off leather)". According to an attached document from them this is "top grain leather"

For you leather experts out there, is that kind of leather good quality (at least in theory)?

Is the 10k to 15k for leather a reasonable extra price for leather? Or does that sound too cheap or too expensive?

I still don't know if it makes more sense to buy leather or no leather in Thailand. But if the leather is good quality and the price is like above, then that sounds not too bad to me.

11 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Another follow-up about them.

They now also replied to my second email with some prices and more information.

They don't show prices on their website, so I won't publish here all the details.

But to give you an idea. A Chesterfield three seat sofa is in the price range of about 30,000 THB in velvet and 10k to 15k more in "Genuine cow leather (wash off leather)". According to an attached document from them this is "top grain leather"

For you leather experts out there, is that kind of leather good quality (at least in theory)?

Is the 10k to 15k for leather a reasonable extra price for leather? Or does that sound too cheap or too expensive?

I still don't know if it makes more sense to buy leather or no leather in Thailand. But if the leather is good quality and the price is like above, then that sounds not too bad to me.

I have emailed and waiting for a reply but these do seem very good, not sure about the leather i was thinking of going for cloth this time as had enough of the leather cracking and flaking although going by spidermikes sofa these do look better than what i have previously purchased for the same amount of $$

When we bought our house in 2005 we bought a Sofa, Love seat Sofa and matching chair.  (I think we purchased them from a furniture shop in "The Mall Bang Kapi".  I'll have to ask my wife.  That was too many years ago for me...  All 3 items look like they just came off the show room floor. (I love sleeping on the sofa. They armrest is just the right height).  😉

Their leather quality is very good. Mine has held up well, is very soft and comfy, and looks great. I was a little bit hesitant with the leather as I thought it might be too hot, but that hasn't been an issue, and on the really hot days we have the AC on in the living room anyway. 

Are you too far to visit the factory? It is likely worth it. We did, and we were able to see the entire selection, they showed us the leather sheets in the factory, and were very helpful.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Their leather quality is very good. Mine has held up well, is very soft and comfy, and looks great. I was a little bit hesitant with the leather as I thought it might be too hot, but that hasn't been an issue, and on the really hot days we have the AC on in the living room anyway. 

Are you too far to visit the factory? It is likely worth it. We did, and we were able to see the entire selection, they showed us the leather sheets in the factory, and were very helpful.

Thanks

It's about an hour away from me. That's acceptable. 

I guess I will visit them sometime next week. After that I can report here what I saw.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PFMills said:

I recommend Lazy Boy

I thought about that.

One thing what I don't like about many sofas, is that they have single seats. Like two seats for a two seat sofa, three seats for a three-seat sofa, etc. I like just a sofa where I never sit between two seats.

Something like this:

image.png.7854926a2915617b38873e8d780a4c70.png

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks

It's about an hour away from me. That's acceptable. 

I guess I will visit them sometime next week. After that I can report here what I saw.

Might have to have a look next time i am in Bangkok
1 hour is worth it but Bangkok can be 2 hours back depending on the crazy traffic

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kwak250 said:

I was wanting to see the 6-7 seater u-shaped ones 
Went to the Ikea Bang Yai they did have L-shaped which were ok but would have wanted to see these 

Screenshot 2024-09-12 171051.jpg

With IKEA sofas, usually a model type, such as Vimle, will have a number of different configurations, from smaller 2 and 3-seat sofas to much larger configurations such as what you show above.   Although IKEA stores are huge, they don't have the space to display all the configurations available, and especially the really large sofa configurations.

But, you should be able to test the quality and sit comfort of a model type by checking out a smaller version, which usually is on display.   The bigger types are usually just that--bigger versions of the same model.  Things like seat depth, arm height, and back height and angle ( very important) should be the same.  Fabric type, feel, weight, and color should also be the same.  

As for the OP, some good choices, such as SB Furniture, Index, and Chic Republic have been mentioned, as well as some others  I would add Jas Furniture, which allows you to select fabric type and color, and Boonthavorn's Lifestyle Furniture, which also has a number of different sofa types. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, newnative said:

With IKEA sofas, usually a model type, such as Vimle, will have a number of different configurations, from smaller 2 and 3-seat sofas to much larger configurations such as what you show above.   Although IKEA stores are huge, they don't have the space to display all the configurations available, and especially the really large sofa configurations.

But, you should be able to test the quality and sit comfort of a model type by checking out a smaller version, which usually is on display.   The bigger types are usually just that--bigger versions of the same model.  Things like seat depth, arm height, and back height and angle ( very important) should be the same.  Fabric type, feel, weight, and color should also be the same.

They said they do sometimes display them and about a year ago I had seen them which was why I went to look again.

They also said they are not the same specifications 

Edited by kwak250

2 hours ago, kwak250 said:

They said they do sometimes display them and about a year ago I had seen them which was why I went to look again.

If you want to spend the time, then you can look at the IKEA website and the product details and you will find the individual boxes and individual assemble manuals.

They you can compare what is part of sofa X and sofa Y. If they have the same name, then likely most parts will be the same.

26 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

Specifications can be different if you select a different sofa type, such as a sleep sofa vs. a regular sofa, and, certainly, a different sofa series from another one.   I think if you select a series, such as Vimle, the materials and specifications will be the same, comparing apples to apples.  For example, Vimle makes a small 2-seat sofa for 25,990 baht.  They also make a huge U-shaped 6-seat sofa for 100,000 baht.

If you check the specifications, they are the same except for length.  Seat depth is the same at 55cm. Seat height is also the same at 45cm.  Armrest width and height the same at 15cm and 65cm.  Etc.  Fabric choices were the same--the two sofas I looked at both came with a fabric called Grann/Bomstad, with likely some other fabric choices available.    I'm not sure all fabrics are available with all sofa configurations.   Composition of the sofa cushions is the same--high resilience foam.  And, of course, the overall design style is the same.  My main point remains that in many cases you can use a different version of a sofa series to check quality, design, construction, fabric feel and weight, and, most importantly, how comfortable the product is for you when you sit on it.

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Cow leather is the best you can get, and that is dirt cheap. In Europe the price for this would be at le3ast triple that

24 minutes ago, newnative said:

Specifications can be different if you select a different sofa type, such as a sleep sofa vs. a regular sofa, and, certainly, a different sofa series from another one.   I think if you select a series, such as Vimle, the materials and specifications will be the same, comparing apples to apples.  For example, Vimle makes a small 2-seat sofa for 25,990 baht.  They also make a huge U-shaped 6-seat sofa for 100,000 baht.

If you check the specifications, they are the same except for length.  Seat depth is the same at 55cm. Seat height is also the same at 45cm.  Armrest width and height the same at 15cm and 65cm.  Etc.  Fabric choices were the same--the two sofas I looked at both came with a fabric called Grann/Bomstad, with likely some other fabric choices available.    I'm not sure all fabrics are available with all sofa configurations.   Composition of the sofa cushions is the same--high resilience foam.  And, of course, the overall design style is the same.  My main point remains that in many cases you can use a different version of a sofa series to check quality, design, construction, fabric feel and weight, and, most importantly, how comfortable the product is for you when you sit on it.

I see what you mean maybe IKEA thought I meant the same size and length but the sofas were OK to sit on but nothing special.

Certainly not worth throwing 100k on .

On 9/12/2024 at 6:05 PM, PFMills said:

I recommend Lazy Boy… didn’t go for the most expensive leather, but the next one to it.YMMY.

IMG_3621.thumb.jpeg.42175d883e2105d4e00fa05cb6eedb6c.jpeg

Now that does look comfy

Looks about 120k for just the 3 seater?

Edited by kwak250

8 hours ago, kwak250 said:

Now that does look comfy

Looks about 120k for just the 3 seater?

Yes it is comfy and the foot area and back area recline electrically and separately…also usb points in the arms …lol... actually they are very useful.   I don’t remember what it cost but I do remember that I received a lot of credit card points … 

• Haha 2

Pop into one of the 'Home & Furnishing' expos at Impact convention center.   We did this back in 2011 for our 2nd build, as little quality available at Udon Thani at the time.   Ended up buying a living room (sofa, table, 2 chairs) and bed frame.   Got barstools and dining table & chairs from Chatuchuk market vendor.

All shipped to Udon by the vendors.  Still have all except bed frame & chairs.  Living room set was fabric, and we bought extra, in case any part of needed reupholstering.  Didn't need so far.   They just had one last week ... oops

image.png.a419e817ef8c7a157b0577e4d8f89639.png

BITEC having one now ...

image.png.a8625f662b2baaf5fca7fe37d9c0cf31.png

FB page for sample (scroll thru), maybe what's there

Seems that it's more than just home & furnishings

https://www.unionpan.com/

image.png.24933eac1c8de1785c8706d245d4a1a2.png

Edited by KhunLA

On 9/12/2024 at 11:13 AM, spidermike007 said:

In general I would agree with you, however I purchased a sofa from these guys and I've had it for 6 years. I'm totally satisfied with it, the sofa was worth 100,000 and I paid 30,000 for it, so it comes highly recommended. 

Unless you can see the sofa in person, sit on it, and in my case make custom choices such as size, configuration, quality and color of the leather, etc., you have a snowball's chance in hell of being satisfied. 

I have been in contact with them and looks like the prices have gone up for Full leather it's now over double for the same sofa but does look very comfortable. 

Was your sofa Full leather or the synthetic leather they like to use?

Edited by kwak250

On 9/12/2024 at 8:44 AM, spidermike007 said:

I paid them around 30,000 as it was factory direct. Comparable couches retail, are 100,000 to 150,000 baht. 

20201002_120402.jpg

20201002_120348.jpg

Just got quoted over double that full leather?

Is your sofa leather?