Flooding in the city

herfiehandbag

Word reaches me of significant flooding in Chiang Rai city today (11 September).

I have to visit the Immigration office in the basement of Central Plaza tomorrow or Friday. I would like to know if they are affected by flooding, or open as normal. No luck trying to raise them on the phone, and I don't want to drive in 30kms on my motorbike, in this weather, to find it closed,  so if any kind soul is wiser than me, and yes that is a very low bar...

2 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Mae Sai is almost completely under water, Chiang Mai Muang has started to flood. I'll be very surprised if Chiang Rai escapes.

Haven’t seen anything that I would consider “starting” to flood in cm yet besides the typical few minutes of street flooding due to downpours. Though the water is on its way down here.

40 minutes ago, novacova said:

Haven’t seen anything that I would consider “starting” to flood in cm yet besides the typical few minutes of street flooding due to downpours. Though the water is on its way down here.

Yes, sorry, Mrs CM just translated her gobbledegook which turns out to be Chiang Rai, not Chiang Mai, she's easily confused....big sigh.

By way of an update, I have just spoken to my daughter who has a dormitory room in a block between the Obajour School and Sports complex and the main road. She tells me that the water there is 10cm deep, and rising. Luckily she is on the first floor (UK parlance) and has moved her scooter to a friend's house on higher ground.

16 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Central plaza is well away from the river and it wouldn't be liable to flood and they have drainage 

Chiang rai today

r/Thailand - Chiang Rai city flooded today with CEI airport top right hand corner

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

Besides the horrible situation for all people living and working in the flooded areas: the first photo irritated me very much --- until I found out it is horizontally flipped.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Stefan in Thailand said:

Besides the horrible situation for all people living and working in the flooded areas: the first photo irritated me very much --- until I found out it is horizontally flipped.

Shall I ask the helicopter pilot to turn around and take the photo from the other direction ?

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Shall I ask the helicopter pilot to turn around and take the photo from the other direction ?

That was my first thought too. Wouldn't work. But maybe fly upside down? No need, just flip the photo horizontally with Photoshop or irfanview or whatever software offers that. I was surprised how quickly I recognized the city