Liquid limits at airport security...

SunsetT

The 100ml limit on liquids etc., and the need to separate them is being lifted at many airports internationally. Does anyone know please, preferably from experience, if this has happened yet at Suvarnabhumi, Don Muang or regional airports, for either international or domestic flights?

8 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

The 100ml limit on liquids etc., and the need to separate them is being lifted at many airports internationally. Does anyone know please, preferably from experience, if this has happened yet at Suvarnabhumi, Don Muang or regional airports, for either international or domestic flights?

The limit is still there at Don Mueang airport.

• Thanks 1

AirAsia allows 0.5L bottles but only for medicine or shampoos and stuff.
I've carried 0.25L Listerine mouthwash back from Phnom Penh to Phuket with a transfer at DMK. No questions at all.

And there's a small lifehack for you
after baggage control there's water fountains at DMK so if you carry an empty bottle with you, as I did, you could fill it up for free and take on board. Isn't that nice.
It even has a digital counter of how many plastic bottles were saved.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

AirAsia allows 0.5L bottles but only for medicine or shampoos and stuff.
I've carried 0.25L Listerine mouthwash back from Phnom Penh to Phuket with a transfer at DMK. No questions at all.

And there's a small lifehack for you
after baggage control there's water fountains at DMK so if you carry an empty bottle with you, as I did, you could fill it up for free and take on board. Isn't that nice.
It even has a digital counter of how many plastic bottles were saved.

What and you save 7 baht?

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, SunsetT said:

Wouldn't checking the TSA  website be more reliable?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

There was a discussion about UK airports potentially abolishing the 100ml limit on liquids by 2025. However, this change has not yet been implemented.

That said, security screening procedures in the UK have evolved. You no longer need to remove items from your bag as the new scanning machines can detect everything. This has streamlined the process, making airport security much faster and more efficient.

In contrast, there has been no change in security measures in Thailand. Passengers are still required to remove laptops and liquids, and the 100ml liquid limit remains in place.

• Agree 1

Just now, Will B Good said:

True, but have you ever tried setting fire to water?

That's not the point... If memory serves, a few years back a terrorist tried to board a plane with a couple of bottles with some liquid in the UK. It appeared to have been 2 chemicals that when combined can explode. That's when the 100ml limit came to be.

It is a stupid rule but for some reason most countries still enforce it.

And true, alcohol can be ignited, but it's gonna be difficult for anyone to soak enough seats and set them on fire without being stopped by passengers and crew members. And BTW - air India confiscate all lighters and matches at the gate before boarding.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

In contrast, there has been no change in security measures in Thailand. Passengers are still required to remove laptops and liquids, and the 100ml liquid limit remains in place.

Can't remember the last time I had to remove liquids from my bags in Thailand or any other airport I've been to in the last few years. The laptop yes, at every airport I've been to.

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

The security measures were never about being able to 'set fire' to the liquid - brandy or otherwise.

The measures were regarding what >100ml of liquid 'could be' that presents significant danger (more so than simply >100ml of petrol)... 

i.e. 5 guys, each carry 100ml of something more 'explosive' and the extreme case scenario of 500ml of that substance are not a loss of an air-craft...

But to carry 1 litre each, and combine to make 5 litres - then the case scenario for 'explosive liquids' which are visually indistinguishable from water becomes far more catastrophic. 

A litre of brandy set alight at 40,000 ft might cause some excitement I imagine....I'd rather no one could do that.

4 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

A litre of brandy set alight at 40,000 ft might cause some excitement I imagine....I'd rather no one could do that.

Yet theoretically, everyone can...    and there is nothing to stop them as everyone can buy 1litre of Brandy at duty free... 

... Its not going to bring down a plane... and lets face it...  no one has tried this.

In contrast, even in lower volumes there are liquid substances that when mixed can bring down a plane...    and thats what the 100ml liquid limits were about. 

Now airport scanning machines can scan for dangerous liquids....  and the more update scanners can scan for much more.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Will B Good said:
11 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Have you ever heard or read about such an incident?

Yes. Swiss air over Alaska...but it was all hushed up.

Hushed up indeed...     There is no internet source for such an incident anywhere. 

Chat GPT cannot find such an incident.

This indicates that there is no online information at all, anywhere about such an event occurring.

I think it would be extremely difficult to keep such an incident 'hushed up'....    

That said: I'm not claiming you to be lying [Will B]... as I'm already well aware of other circumstances where serious events have occurred and the incident was hushed up (those in power managed to hush the incident - not airline related - and get some online internet reports removed and MSM did not run with the information ether although I am aware of first hand accounts)

Edited by richard_smith237

13 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Can't remember the last time I had to remove liquids from my bags in Thailand or any other airport I've been to in the last few years. The laptop yes, at every airport I've been to.

Maybe you don't travel with liquids, unguents and pastes like some do?

I don't and can also claim that I've never had to remove them either.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Maybe you don't travel with liquids, unguents and pastes like some do?

I don't and can also claim that I've never had to remove them either.

100ml of shampoo and 100ml of liquid soap in my carry on bag. I once had a nearly empty aftershave lotion bottle and and another nearly empty cream container - both containers were in a capacity of more than 100ml so both were thrown away. All detected by the x-ray machine.

7 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I think you will find that the equipment was found to be unreliable and the 100ml limit has been re-introduced.

The EU Commission made the decision to re-impose the longstanding rule at the end of July, but it takes effect today.

It means the limit of 100ml for every individual container will be reintroduced in airports which had been using new technology to allow passengers to bring higher volumes of liquid.

https://news.sky.com/story/eu-airports-see-100ml-liquid-rule-for-carry-on-baggage-reintroduced-13207614#:~:text=The EU Commission made the,bring higher volumes of liquid.

I also read somewhere that it's a software issue that's been sorted already but will need x amount of months of testing before they try and rescind the rules again.

• Thanks 1