Trump's Wild Claims: The Truth Behind the Pet-Eating Conspiracy

Social Media

image.png

In an era where misinformation can spread rapidly, a recent claim by former President Donald Trump during a televised debate with Kamala Harris has taken the political stage by storm. Trump's assertion that asylum seekers are abducting and eating pets was one of the most shocking moments of the debate, highlighting the polarizing issue of immigration in the current presidential campaign.

Although ABC News moderator David Muir quickly pointed out that there was no credible evidence to support Trump's claim, the accusation is not entirely new to those familiar with U.S. politics. The narrative had been gaining traction, fueled by prominent Right-wing figures such as vice-presidential candidate JD Vance, Senator Ted Cruz, and billionaire Elon Musk, who insisted they had "proof."

Surprisingly, the claim did not originate from a reliable source but from a single Facebook post by a resident in Springfield, Ohio. In a private community group, the individual warned others about Haitian immigrants allegedly butchering and eating a neighbor's missing cat. The post, which described the scene as akin to preparing a deer for butchering, went viral, spreading fear and misinformation.

Springfield, a city of 58,000 people, has become a focal point in the immigration debate due to the influx of nearly 20,000 migrants from Haiti over the past four years. These migrants, fleeing gang violence and political instability in their home country, have filled blue-collar jobs that local residents were reluctant to take. However, their arrival has strained local resources, leading to heightened tensions, particularly after a Haitian immigrant was involved in a fatal school bus crash last year. 

Despite city officials and police dismissing the allegations of pet-eating, the rumors continued to spread. Right-wing social media users latched onto the claims, providing further "evidence" that was quickly debunked. For instance, a widely shared bodycam video of a woman arrested for killing and eating a cat was inaccurately linked to the Haitian community in Springfield. In reality, the woman was not an immigrant and had lived her entire life in Canton, Ohio.

Even as the rumors were discredited, high-profile figures on the right continued to amplify them. Ohio Senator JD Vance claimed he had been raising concerns about the Haitian community's impact on local services for months, despite U.S. National Security Council spokesman John Kirby condemning his remarks as dangerous and racist. Elon Musk, with his massive online following, added fuel to the fire by suggesting that people's pet cats were being eaten. Senator Cruz further stoked the flames with a meme implying that voting for Trump was the only way to prevent Haitian immigrants from eating kittens.

The portrayal of immigrants as dangerous outsiders who consume what they shouldn't is a narrative that has persisted across cultures and centuries. Asian-American communities, for example, have long faced the stereotype that cats and dogs are part of their diet. Similarly, Haitian immigrants, often associated with voodoo spiritualism in a caricatured manner, have become easy targets for conspiracy theories.

Trump himself seems to relish instilling fear in voters, going as far as referencing the fictional serial killer Hannibal Lecter from "The Silence of the Lambs" in his speeches. During his acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention, Trump alluded to the idea that insane asylums were being emptied, hinting at a broader, more menacing threat to the nation.

J.D. Vance "Reports now show that people have had their pets abducted and eaten by people who shouldn't be in this country. Where is our border czar?"

In a world where a single social media post can influence national discourse, the spread of such unfounded claims is a troubling reminder of the power of misinformation. As the election approaches, the impact of these conspiracy theories on policymaking and public opinion remains to be seen.

Credit: Daily Telegraph 2024-09-12

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

I recall in his one and only term the guy ranted about immigrants from what he called 's-hole' countries and asked why we couldn't get more immigrants from Norway.

Has he no concern for Siamese fighting fish, Neon Tetras and Angel Fish? You know how those Scandinavians like their fermented fish. Oh, the humanity!

There’s a wonderful parody song about this very issue.( song for Donald) a parody of the song of Roland it’s done by a guy named don Carlton  on utube please check it out I’m sure you’ll like it!

• Agree 1

Hard to believe a foreigner would eat a cat, or a dog for that matter in the West. Of course we know it happens in Vietnam. Can't find a dog anywhere over there.

My Chinese gf took me to a popular Chinese restaurant in Vancouver many years ago.  (no English on the menu). I asked her about a dish that I couldn't read. She said it was dog. The food was great and we went back often, although I always needed to remind her not to order dog for me.

Trump of course should not have blasted out such a dumb statement on eating pets. That was idiotic. It might be true but don't worry about it because in time there will be way worse as a result of Biden's and the Chameleon's policies.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Tug said:

I think it was a double dig #1 seed hatred of immigrants #2 a dig at Harris roots her dad is from the islands (not Haiti) it wasn’t much of a presidential moment was it?the dude is a mess.

#3 get votes from Chinese restaurant owners 😀

14 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

How terribly ironic that Mr Fake News himself, when confronted by the moderator with the absurdity of his conspiracy theory, said, "I saw it on TV".

The moderator David Muir was clearly embarrassed for the guy, that such nonsense would be brought up in a Presidential debate.

Another poster put an image of a guy who happens to be Black and holding a goose. The man who took the picture said he did not know where the man caught the goose, and has no idea if the Black man is an immigrant or not. In fact, the photographer was befuddled that his image---not even in Ohio---would be used in a silly conspiracy.

Trump has led his followers, foreign and domestic, off the plot.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, 300sd said:

Trump of course should not have blasted out such a dumb statement on eating pets. That was idiotic. It might be true but don't worry about it because in time there will be way worse as a result of Biden's and the Chameleon's policies.

Chameleon Harris? Surprised Drumpf didn't go for that one.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Social Media said:

image.png

In an era where misinformation can spread rapidly, a recent claim by former President Donald Trump during a televised debate with Kamala Harris has taken the political stage by storm. Trump's assertion that asylum seekers are abducting and eating pets was one of the most shocking moments of the debate, highlighting the polarizing issue of immigration in the current presidential campaign.

Although ABC News moderator David Muir quickly pointed out that there was no credible evidence to support Trump's claim, the accusation is not entirely new to those familiar with U.S. politics. The narrative had been gaining traction, fueled by prominent Right-wing figures such as vice-presidential candidate JD Vance, Senator Ted Cruz, and billionaire Elon Musk, who insisted they had "proof."

Surprisingly, the claim did not originate from a reliable source but from a single Facebook post by a resident in Springfield, Ohio. In a private community group, the individual warned others about Haitian immigrants allegedly butchering and eating a neighbor's missing cat. The post, which described the scene as akin to preparing a deer for butchering, went viral, spreading fear and misinformation.

Springfield, a city of 58,000 people, has become a focal point in the immigration debate due to the influx of nearly 20,000 migrants from Haiti over the past four years. These migrants, fleeing gang violence and political instability in their home country, have filled blue-collar jobs that local residents were reluctant to take. However, their arrival has strained local resources, leading to heightened tensions, particularly after a Haitian immigrant was involved in a fatal school bus crash last year. 

Despite city officials and police dismissing the allegations of pet-eating, the rumors continued to spread. Right-wing social media users latched onto the claims, providing further "evidence" that was quickly debunked. For instance, a widely shared bodycam video of a woman arrested for killing and eating a cat was inaccurately linked to the Haitian community in Springfield. In reality, the woman was not an immigrant and had lived her entire life in Canton, Ohio.

Even as the rumors were discredited, high-profile figures on the right continued to amplify them. Ohio Senator JD Vance claimed he had been raising concerns about the Haitian community's impact on local services for months, despite U.S. National Security Council spokesman John Kirby condemning his remarks as dangerous and racist. Elon Musk, with his massive online following, added fuel to the fire by suggesting that people's pet cats were being eaten. Senator Cruz further stoked the flames with a meme implying that voting for Trump was the only way to prevent Haitian immigrants from eating kittens.

The portrayal of immigrants as dangerous outsiders who consume what they shouldn't is a narrative that has persisted across cultures and centuries. Asian-American communities, for example, have long faced the stereotype that cats and dogs are part of their diet. Similarly, Haitian immigrants, often associated with voodoo spiritualism in a caricatured manner, have become easy targets for conspiracy theories.

Trump himself seems to relish instilling fear in voters, going as far as referencing the fictional serial killer Hannibal Lecter from "The Silence of the Lambs" in his speeches. During his acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention, Trump alluded to the idea that insane asylums were being emptied, hinting at a broader, more menacing threat to the nation.

J.D. Vance "Reports now show that people have had their pets abducted and eaten by people who shouldn't be in this country. Where is our border czar?"

Months ago, I raised the issue of Haitian illegal immigrants draining social services and generally causing chaos all over Springfield, Ohio.

Reports now show that people have had their pets abducted and eaten by people who shouldn't be in this country. Where is our border czar? pic.twitter.com/rf0EDIeI5i

— JD Vance (@JDVance) September 9, 2024

In a world where a single social media post can influence national discourse, the spread of such unfounded claims is a troubling reminder of the power of misinformation. As the election approaches, the impact of these conspiracy theories on policymaking and public opinion remains to be seen.

Credit: Daily Telegraph 2024-09-12

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

Pay more attention....The Donald lives on misinformation 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 300sd said:

Hard to believe a foreigner would eat a cat, or a dog for that matter in the West. Of course we know it happens in Vietnam. Can't find a dog anywhere over there.

My Chinese gf took me to a popular Chinese restaurant in Vancouver many years ago.  (no English on the menu). I asked her about a dish that I couldn't read. She said it was dog. The food was great and we went back often, although I always needed to remind her not to order dog for me.

What a total crock of BS, dog is only eaten in the Northern parts of Vietnam and Southern parts of China, both countries are now frowning on it so it's not as common as 20 years ago.

I seriously DO NOT believe that a modern western country like Canada would allow it to be on any menu....Proof required or eat your own BS bro.

• Like 1

My first trip to Thailand back in '82 I was up trekking in Golden Triangle. Some village couple guys had a dog dressed and splayed out for grilling. I politely declined joining them for dinner. Took a photo of scene, used for Xmas card that year (yeah, yeah, I know). No idea where photo gone over the years....

"all tastes are acquired" as my marketing professor pointed out....

9 hours ago, steevjee said:

What a total crock of BS, dog is only eaten in the Northern parts of Vietnam and Southern parts of China, both countries are now frowning on it so it's not as common as 20 years ago.

I seriously DO NOT believe that a modern western country like Canada would allow it to be on any menu....Proof required or eat your own BS bro.

By the time you remove your head from the sand, (with all due respect) I'm sure we will see that Haitians are surprising many Americans etc with some amazing culture practices right there in lil ole Springfield!

With regard to the "dog on the menu": I wish I could prove it to you because that China doll was a real beauty and I'd love to see her again. Her name was Mai. Sorry can't fact check her name for you either.