Phuket Named World’s Most Overcrowded Destination Amid Tourism Boom

snoop1130

13 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

All I can say is I told you so. And yes Thailand did it to itself, and they merit the scorn.

Despite all the  claims of going upscale and pursuing quality visitors, the opposite happened. The focus was on attracting cheap junket flights and it hasn't delivered the type of visitor that builds sustainable tourism. I know it's going to be a nightmare this high season.

Judging by your user name, would it be fair to assume you are are a sex tourist?

An upscale one of course.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Alas, the once great and beautiful destinations in Thailand played out already. 20-30 years ago Phuket was absolutely wonderful. I remember my 1999 trip. Fantastic, not crowded, had the beach practically to myself. Small humble bar scene.. now. Well over tourism and a tourist ghetto. Same with Pattaya and Jomtien. Outrageous over building and place is over run by Russians, Chinese and these young Middle Eastern hoodlums illegally renting bikes and terrorizing the locals. Pattaya now the favored destination for Indian scammers operating scam centers setup in larger older condo units. Place is played out and unlivable for me. To each his own but I've been living here on and off since 2012. first few years were great.. about time they disallowed the income affidavits for long term Non O visas it started getting played out. Now Jomtien which was once a quiet get away from downtown Pattaya is worse than Pattaya. Time to head out and check out South America, Eastern Europe or Phils I think.

Edited by StandardIssue
  • Like 1

Can't speak for Phuket but I would totally dispute Pattaya being number 2 on the list.  It's a tourist town and, yes, it's popular, it has lots of tourists, but it's also large and spread out, with a number of different beaches, tourist areas, and tourist attractions, such as Nong Nooch Gardens, in different locales.  The tourists aren't all concentrated in one small area so it doesn't feel 'overcrowded' to me.  I would certainly rank Venice much higher.  It was so overcrowded when we visited it was hard to even walk around--that's not the case with Pattaya.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MalcolmB said:

it is because they don’t have the good infrastructure there that we have in Thailand. Not because it is more crowded.

Good.

And loud mouthed Americans.

Wrong. Bali is infinitely more crowded and congested than Phuket. Traffic is like Manhattan at rush hour. It is a blight on the planet. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Ergo why my comment above holds water.

Couple of days ago when I was there they built a new car park it was empty but for a few bikes, I didnt go this morning it is raining heavy, the beach is quiet, I'll take some photo's next time, 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Wrong. Bali is infinitely more crowded and congested than Phuket. Traffic is like Manhattan at rush hour. It is a blight on the planet. 

No you are wrong.

Again.

Bali gets about half the tourists Phuket gets.

The better infrastructure makes Phuket feel less crowded than Bali. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

46 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

you've likely never been to Southwest Bali,

I most likely have spent more time in Bali and Phuket than you have.

But I am wrong and the OP is wrong. I suppose I will have to believe some weird guy on the internet who constantly complains about everything and everyone. Thais, Russians, Chinese, Aussies etc. 

48 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

unbelievable numbers of Australian tourists. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Judging by your user name, would it be fair to assume you are are a sex tourist?

An upscale one of course.

No. I have a long term partner. Anyway, the soaring sex worker STI infection rate, does not support playing STI roulette in Thailand, so no mia noi for me and I suggest no sopheni gay (โสเภณีเกย์) for you.