What really grinds your gears in Pattaya

Pattaya57

14 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Indian tourists walk 4-5 abreast on the small Soi's. Cars and bikes beep their horns behind them and they just ignore them and make them go around.

Where does this arrogance come from?

Ahh, so you've never been to India 😉

• Love It 2

3 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

I have been to Bombay. There's no way they'd be walking 5 abreast on the roads I saw there 😆 

It's Mumbai.... obviously a very long time since you were there and they were definitely walking in the road then too.

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Been going on for years just like you say.

I usually go around them and yes, surprised there are not more accidents. 

If you "usually" go around them does that means sometimes you go through them 😀

I think everyone should go very close behind them and just hit the horn until they move. Maybe then they might get the message

Edited by Pattaya57

23 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
34 minutes ago, Wuvu2 said:

Ahh, so you've never been to India 😉

they walk in the roads in India? no pavements?

Yes often because there are often no sidewalks or they are full. The real challenge though is that while we have Soi Dogs in Thailand, there are 5 million wandering cows in India. People do what they got to do to get from one place to another. Courtesy towards other travelers is neither expected or given 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

I dislike how Pattaya is now catering for Indian tourists on an extreme cheap budget. 

I live next to old Mercure on soi 15 which has now become a 'Heeton Concept' hotel. Pretty sure that may be an Indian tour place as it always has huge bus loads coming and going on a small soi (when they're not walking 5 abreast). I wouldn't think a Mercure level hotel would be extreme cheap though?

• Agree 2

Came up with the 'what grinds your gears' as didn't want it to be an Indian bashing thread from my OP...

So here's another, I wish this sign was made mandatory in every bar in Pattaya. I was so happy when I found it in one bar 😀

20240808_135123.jpg

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

What really grinds your gears in Pattaya

Not a thing.  Was there in 1986 and loved it.  Came back in 2007 and spent one night and left.  Never been back.  Pattaya and Phuket are two places on my list of "Cities in Thailand I Never Expect To Visit Again."  For those who like those places?  More power to ya.  Each to their own.  But really?  Why?  Over-crowded tourist-traps.  I'm sorta hoping for another pandemic as Chiang Mai was nice between 2020 up until 2024.  Now I try to avoid it when I don't have business to attend to there.  I can do without the tourists.  <laughs>

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Sorry, I've just found another thing that really grinds my gears...

^ Why do people that hate Pattaya so much always come into the Pattaya forum to post their hatred of Pattaya. If you hate it so much, why keep reading about it.

They should all be made to post where they live so that us Pattaya people can go on their forum page to express our thoughts on where they choose to live 😉

Mostly people view the "new posts" button so they never see which forum the posts are in.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ElwoodP said:

Mostly people view the "new posts" button so they never see which forum the posts are in.

Which is why I put Pattaya in the thread title so they know and he definitely knew it was Pattaya as his whole post was how much he hated Pattaya lol

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ElwoodP said:

Exactly - I don't check the forum.  Anyway - I don't HATE Pattaya.  I just have no urge to ever return.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Which is why I put Pattaya in the thread title so they know and he definitely knew it was Pattaya as his whole post was how much he hated Pattaya lol

If you put "Phuket" in it, I still wouldn't look at the forum, and I'd still make the same comments.  I don't HATE Phuket, well actually I do.  So I've no plans on heading back that direction in this lifetime.  I'd rather go to Pattaya.  :biggrin:

What really grind my gears is the cost of really appalling food. I'm talking about hotel restaurants, buffets and 'seafood' places where the fare is supposed to be top quality. I'm talking about 5-star hotels where you would expect to get a gourmet meal.

We went to one last new year and you could literally smell that the seafood was off. Another time was a Teppaniaki which was the worst and most expensive I've every experienced.

And then there are the restaurants which claim to be 'haute cuisine' - where they serve steaks boiled in grease, rank smelling oysters and corked wine that tastes like paint. Don't get me started on the 'Italian' joints with their sh!tty pizzas and sloppy, vomit inducing pasta.

Over the last 16 years, me and the missus have distilled our favorite restaurants down to 3, they're all Thai food and none of them are in Pattaya.

Anyway, rant over.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 3STTW said:

What really grind my gears is the cost of really appalling food. I'm talking about hotel restaurants, buffets and 'seafood' places where the fare is supposed to be top quality. I'm talking about 5-star hotels where you would expect to get a gourmet meal.

We went to one last new year and you could literally smell that the seafood was off. Another time was a Teppaniaki which was the worst and most expensive I've every experienced.

And then there are the restaurants which claim to be 'haute cuisine' - where they serve steaks boiled in grease, rank smelling oysters and corked wine that tastes like paint. Don't get me started on the 'Italian' joints with their sh!tty pizzas and sloppy, vomit inducing pasta.

Over the last 16 years, me and the missus have distilled our favorite restaurants down to 3, they're all Thai food and none of them are in Pattaya.

Anyway, rant over.

If you have facebook, you can have a look around for Pattaya food groups. You can find a lot of good stuff on there both quality wise and good value.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, verylostdog said:

If you have facebook, you can have a look around for Pattaya food groups. You can find a lot of good stuff on there both quality wise and good value.

Absolutely I never been disappointed with food in Pattaya and I have been there many times 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The other thing that is annoying/dangerous is Thai driving, slow at pulling away from junctions and slow/wrong lane when turning into a soi

There is a U-Turn near me that is pretty busy and I am often in a queue there to get onto the road. Many a time I see cars in front hang back, when I see an opportunity to move, then they will proceed just about when they likely scare the guys coming towards us. They seem to have delayed reactions like Corporal Jones in Dad's Army. (Apologies, ancient UK reference!). 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Uneven footpaths, I can deal with the footpath disappearing and they way some shops encroach on it but it really pisses me off the paving stones missing poping up etc, cost me a smart watch when I tripped once, next is pot holes that just go un noticed on roads, if you ride a motor bike you will understand, and then theres very bad traffic management, I live under 5ks from Central Festival, at times its taken me 45min to 1hr to get back home to Pratumnak.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Njoku said:

Uneven footpaths, I can deal with the footpath disappearing and they way some shops encroach on it but it really pisses me off the paving stones missing poping up etc, cost me a smart watch when I tripped once, next is pot holes that just go un noticed on roads, if you ride a motor bike you will understand, and then theres very bad traffic management, I live under 5ks from Central Festival, at times its taken me 45min to 1hr to get back home to Pratumnak.

The traffic is getting really bad.  Not just on weekends anymore and doesn't seem to matter if it's low or high season. Totally ruins the place for me.   Any kind of special event, like the fireworks, and it's a gong show.  At least with Bangkok, you can take mass transit.  No such option in Pattaya. 

Edited by shdmn