The award for the most dangerous Highway in Thailand goes to....

advancebooking

On 9/15/2024 at 8:14 PM, advancebooking said:

I recently drove my bar girl friend from Nana to Korat (nakon Rachisima). Its got to be the most dangerous road I have ever driven on. I thought the Pattaya to Rayong road was bad but its nothing in comparison. 

I experienced 2 trucks basically veering into my lane with no notice. Could have caused a serious accident.

So you did not take the new M6 motorway---where trucks any other vehicle other then cars not allowed--- it seems its not the road but the other drivers (Trucks) you are complaining about

• Agree 1

Nana to Korat is more than one road.

Guess you refer to highway 1 to Saraburi.

A terrible stretch plagued with extraordinary heavy truck traffic. Going through some of the most ugly sceneries you can imagine.

I avoid it when possible.

Highway 2 from Saraburi to Korat?

Just "normal" Thai style in my opinion.

If you want to experience ruthless aggressive driving take M9. High speed luxury car racers zig zagging like mad. Changing lanes is an adventure.

Edited by KhunBENQ

14 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

So you did not take the new M6 motorway---where trucks any other vehicle other then cars not allowed--- it seems its not the road but the other drivers (Trucks) you are complaining about

Last time M6 was still(!) opened only for a limited lenght. It's nice to have but from Nana to Korat it's just a small relief.

Not sure whether I will see it open in my lifetime from Bang Pa-In to Korat.

Unbelievably slow development. Must be ridden by corruption to the max.

Edited by KhunBENQ

On 9/15/2024 at 8:26 PM, roo860 said:

The 1095 Chiang Mai to Pai is quite a 'tastey' road for uninitiated, over 700 corners, around 130kms. Weather can change very quickly before reaching the downward section, great road for the big bike. It's claimed alot of lives over the years especially young people on scooter type bikes.

Great run that road, done it twice on my bike.

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, oxo1947 said:

Where does the M6 start and finish? Can I use it when going to Udon Thani from Bangkok? Thanks.

Any highway with alot of Thai drivers is very dangerous Nowhere else in the world have I seen people consistency take the kinds of chances and risks in the road, that they take here, with their families in the car. Nowhere. When they could have waited four seconds to make the uturn or turn onto the highway, and have a completely clear path, they instead choose to take a tremendous risk. It is beyond comprehension. I see it all the time. My eyes do not lie to me. This rarely ever happens to me in the US.

If I decide to cut you off on a highway, when you are going 120kph, and I am making a u-turn, and there was plenty of room behind you for me to make a safe turn, is that an error, if it results in a horrific, fatal accident, and I take the lives of you and your family? 

Sometimes an error is wearing white after Labor day in New York City. And sometimes an error is invading Russia before the oncoming winter.

I don't make the kind of errors that result in bad accidents, much less fatalities. Why? Because I am very, very careful on the road, and very, very respectful of other drivers, their lives, and those of their families. That is a choice that results in NOT making very many terrible mistakes.

It most certainly has something to do with the inability to visualize. Neither the future, nor the hypothetical. What will happen in this scenario? What about this? What about that? What are the inherent risks involved in piloting my bike, car or truck onto the safety lane of a major highway, in the wrong direction, with big trucks coming at me at 100kph? Or onto a lane of a major highway, with oncoming traffic going 120kph? Is it worth sacrificing my life, or my ability to walk for the rest of my life? How will my death affect my kids? Hold on, what about the lives of my wife, kids and sister who are in the vehicle with me, and I am responsible for their safety. Wow. That would be a big loss. An entire family. Maybe I should act like an adult, and be prudent and careful.

What if I waited four seconds for the highway lane to be completely clear, rather than just barge into it now, and risk everything.

I don't think many Thais ever ponder thoughts like this. Why, I can't imagine. It is likely something we will never understand about their nature. I often like to say the best way to understand these differences in attitude and intellect, is to realize Thailand is NOT a foreign country. It is a distant planet.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I recently drove my bar girl friend from Nana to Korat (nakon Rachisima). Its got to be the most dangerous road I have ever driven on. I thought the Pattaya to Rayong road was bad but its nothing in comparison. 

I experienced 2 trucks basically veering into my lane with no notice. Could have caused a serious accident. 

If you have any other 'awards' to grant please list the highway/ road below. 

Drive it frequently.....it is horrendous.

Safest to drive on a Thai public holiday when the average speed is about 5 mph.

The 331 used to be called the highway of death when it was still 2 lanes, now with 4 lanes it doesn't feel that dangerous anymore. Same was true for the Chantaburi to Sa Kaeo highway. Most of it  4 lane now.

Also way back, the road circling Koh Samui was very narrow, and with Southern Thais being the greatest speed freaks in LOS,  it had a high fatality rate. Haven't been to Samui in 30 years,  how is it now?

If you have any other 'awards' to grant please list the highway/ road below. 

Must have been near the concrete companies , I drive to Isaan monthly , that road is fine , but boring after Korat