Are cars legally required to stop for a zebra?

berro

34 minutes ago, berro said:

Are cars legally required to stop for a pedestrian crossing a zebra, or is it "up to them"?

I remember in Serbia a few years ago after a long stint in Asia, a car actually stopped when he saw me about to cross a zebra. I remember that I had to smile.

And over the months I spent there, I'd say 99 % of the time cars stopped.

Strange that in a country like Thaiand, where polite manners are highly appreciated in social life, suddenly throw all the poiteness overboard when it comes to traffic.

Living in BKK I'm not convinced it is legally required to stop at a red light...... a % of motor cyclists certainly don't think they have to stop.

Edited by Will B Good
  • Like 1

i usually stop at the pedestrian crossing, but i try to halt at least 10 meters before it and signal for them to cross. if a motorbike passes me on either side, i hope there's enough time to brake. sometimes, stopping at a crossing can be more dangerous than not stopping at all.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, berro said:

Are cars legally required to stop for a pedestrian crossing a zebra, or is it "up to them"?

I remember in Serbia a few years ago after a long stint in Asia, a car actually stopped when he saw me about to cross a zebra. I remember that I had to smile.

And over the months I spent there, I'd say 99 % of the time cars stopped.

Strange that in a country like Thaiand, where polite manners are highly appreciated in social life, suddenly throw all the poiteness overboard when it comes to traffic.

That is an interesting question.

Here on Samui, some hotels paint the white lines to make a zebra crossing. They then have a guard with a red flag who jumps out and tries to stop the traffic. Is that a legal crossing?

Back in the UK, the rule for zebra crossings used to be - Car has right of way but can stop if it chooses to. Once the pedestrian is on the crossing, all traffic must stop. Pedestrian has right of way. The bit that pedestrians tended to ignore is the first part. The pedestrian had to wait until there was a gap in the traffic.

I understand that new traffic law changes have now updated that law in the UK.

Driving my bike in town 1 lane each way I stopped at a well marked zebra with red paint near the school, in the middle of the lane. 3 schoolgirls started to cross the road 2 seconds later somchai on his moto drove past me on my left side, the look on girls faces was full of disgust, but they were smart enough to pause half-way. Idiots everywhere

Edited by Tim K
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

I've stopped doing that......I've had too many cars overtake as I sit there waiting for a pedestrian to cross......my nerves were getting shot to pieces. 

i do agree with that. if there are more than one line in both directions, i will not stop because it's much too dangerous ...

• Thanks 1

All vehicles have to stop if someone is on the crossing, the fine is 4,000 baht.

Part of the problem is pedestrians, they stand on the crossing meekly for minutes waiting for traffic to stop and it never does.

Pedestrians need to be much more assertive but careful.

I regularly cross 2 zebra crossings when going to hospital appointments. Many is the time I stride past people standing meekly waiting for traffic to stop and in the process forcing drivers to brake sharply. I’m always ready to jump if they don’t stop. 

Learned behaviour is the problem here.

Edited by JBChiangRai
Look up exact fine
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 9/21/2024 at 4:17 AM, berro said:

Strange that in a country like Thaiand, where polite manners are highly appreciated in social life,

They are, but in traffic they're not, me first stupid people.

Edited by watchcat

I was born in Serbia or rather when it was still called Yugoslavia.

You are under some serious delusion that people in Thailand are somehow better drivers or even human beings because they are "polite". People from my region (Serbs, Croats, whatever) are taught manners from the very early age and even tho we can be mentally unstable and somewhat aggressive we are not fake. We will tell you in your face we do not like you and still take you out, buy you drinks (even if we are broke) and show you a good time.

Here people are srlfish to the core which cam be easily proven by the number of Farang mugs who pay to be loved and touched by their "partner".  The number of murders due to money and even trivial things like a loss of face.

Have you ever seen a Serbian woman actively pursuing a "rich" american or god forbid a Brit? Neither have I.

2 minutes ago, Celsius said:

I was born in Serbia or rather when it was still called Yugoslavia.

You are under some serious delusion that people in Thailand are somehow better drivers or even human beings because they are "polite". People from my region (Serbs, Croats, whatever) are taught manners from the very early age and even tho we can be mentally unstable and somewhat aggressive we are not fake. We will tell you in your face we do not like you and still take you out, buy you drinks (even if we are broke) and show you a good time.

Here people are srlfish to the core which cam be easily proven by the number of Farang mugs who pay to be loved and touched by their "partner".  The number of murders due to money and even trivial things like a loss of face.

Have you ever seen a Serbian woman actively pursuing a "rich" american or god forbid a Brit? Neither have I.

My first wife was Serbian.....b****y nightmare.

• Haha 1

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/general/40024294

The new traffic law showed that drivers who do not stop for pedestrians at zebra crossings will be fined 4,000 baht and lose one of their 12 total points, with the loss of all counts resulting in a 90-day suspension of a driving licence.

All driving licence holders will start with 12 points each. If drivers are caught breaking traffic laws, 1-4 points will be reduced depending on their types of violations. 

Before driving through a zebra crossing, drivers must stop for three metres and wait for pedestrians to cross over a road. 

Motorists must strictly abide by the traffic rules such as following a traffic light signal. 

A loss of all 12 points will contribute to a 90-day suspension of a driving licence. Motorists who drive while their licence gets suspended will be charged with a maximum of 10,000 baht or/and will face up to three months in prison. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Celsius said:

I have a problem, telling the Serbian women, apart from the men, I think it’s the beards that makes it difficult.

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

I have a problem, telling the Serbian women, apart from the men, I think it’s the beards that makes it difficult.

Says someone living in Thailand fancying a bulge 

Five years ago, a young doctor was killed at a zebra crossing in central Bangkok by an off-duty policeman doing 100 kph on a big bike.  This provoked public outrage and it looked like action would be taken.  It was announced that cctv would be used to monitor the crossings and traffic tickets mailed to offenders.  Finally, motorists starting observing the law and stopping for pedestrians at the crossings, which resulted in a huge spike in rear-end collisions.  

• Like 1

I think it is a legal requirement, however the toy police franchisees do not stop people for traffic infractions, so it doesn't mean anything. What you say about courtesy is interesting, in that alot of Thais do tend to be a very courteous people, but they seem to lose all sense of courtesy and respect as soon as they're behind the wheel of a car. 

And I have no idea what that's all about, when I first began to learn how to drive I had the good fortune of being taught by my mother, and the first thing she taught me was courtesy and respect for other drivers. 

• Like 1

Here in Khao Lak I notice that cars do stop for tourists as they cross the main road on the zebra crossing.  The first time I wanted to cross, I was completely 'thrown' by the sight of cars stopping for me.

I think I've been in Thailand too long!

• Like 1

Not unless there is a red light at the crossing.  However, unlike the West, here is Thailand it's a matter of self-preservation.  If you believe you have "the right to have cars stop for you in a crosswalk!," you may find yourself being shipped back to your home country in an urn. 

Even at crosswalk with red lights for oncoming traffic, I always look and keep an eye looking in the periphery of my vision in both directions, even on a one way.  Well - unless you're up to winning a Darwin Award.

By the way, if you really think that you're "In The Right" and insist on walking in front of a vehicle in a crosswalk and get hit and end up in the hospital, unlike the West, you'll more than likely end up paying for most of your own hospital bills and there isn't going to be any civil suit where you get paid for your "pain and suffering."  This ain't Kansas anymore Toto.

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

What you say about courtesy is interesting, in that alot of Thais do tend to be a very courteous people, but they seem to lose all sense of courtesy and respect as soon as they're behind the wheel of a car. 

If you really want to see what is in the depths of the hearts of men, put them in a car with tinted windows and watch how they drive.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, gargamon said:

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/general/40024294

The new traffic law showed that drivers who do not stop for pedestrians at zebra crossings will be fined 4,000 baht and lose one of their 12 total points, with the loss of all counts resulting in a 90-day suspension of a driving licence.

All driving licence holders will start with 12 points each. If drivers are caught breaking traffic laws, 1-4 points will be reduced depending on their types of violations. 

Before driving through a zebra crossing, drivers must stop for three metres and wait for pedestrians to cross over a road. 

Motorists must strictly abide by the traffic rules such as following a traffic light signal. 

A loss of all 12 points will contribute to a 90-day suspension of a driving licence. Motorists who drive while their licence gets suspended will be charged with a maximum of 10,000 baht or/and will face up to three months in prison. 

Unenforceable.

20 minutes ago, Real Name Hidden said:

Finally, motorists starting observing the law and stopping for pedestrians at the crossings, which resulted in a huge spike in rear-end collisions.  

Exactly.