Thailand's Landmark Move: Same-Sex Marriage Legalised

webfact

2 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

"Can I marry a man .............. for extensions?

(with the greatest respect)

If you otherwise meet the restrictions, then January 23, yes. I do not expect the same laws by then though.

14 minutes ago, baansgr said:

There are still qualifications, especially for the Thai males work and salary but considerably easier than for women

I have not studied it because it does  not affect me. Regardless of the restrictions though, there is an opportunity for foreign wives but none for foreign husbands.

1 hour ago, cjinchiangrai said:

I agree, but they will need to clean up some laws to make everything fit. 

Yes, indeed. Probably quite a lot. I think that's the main reason for the 120-day moratorium.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, nrasmussen said:

Yes, indeed. Probably quite a lot. I think that's the main reason for the 120-day moratorium.

It will be interesting to see how the sort ladyboys identifying as women.

2 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

They don't but the current law gives residency to foreign women marrying Thai men. Foreign men marrying Thai women do not get this benefit.

I am not quite sure what "gives residency to foreign women marrying Thai men" means. In what way is it "given"? When I was married to my Thai wife, and we had children, I applied for, and was granted, residency on the basis of supporting a Thai family. That is how I am here now, with no reporting, no annnual extensions, just living here except when I need to go overseas.

2 hours ago, itsari said:

How can you obtain a lease for 99 years when the maximum is 30 years???

Sorry my mistake but, unless you are still very young, 30 years would be a good start.

2 minutes ago, Dr B said:

I am not quite sure what "gives residency to foreign women marrying Thai men" means. In what way is it "given"? When I was married to my Thai wife, and we had children, I applied for, and was granted, residency on the basis of supporting a Thai family. That is how I am here now, with no reporting, no annnual extensions, just living here except when I need to go overseas.

Foreign wives can get residency just by marrying Thai men. No kids, no dependencies needed.