Traffic Ticket Statute of Limitations Extended to Two Years

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

make-a-cover-44.jpg

The Royal Thai Police have issued an important reminder for all drivers regarding recent changes in traffic laws, which introduce two significant updates related to traffic fines. These changes, which took effect on October 25, 2023, aim to ensure stricter enforcement of road safety regulations.

The first key change involves the extension of the statute of limitations for traffic tickets. Previously, traffic fines had a one-year expiration period, meaning enforcement actions were limited to that timeframe. However, with the new regulation, the statute of limitations has been extended to two years.

This extension applies to all traffic tickets issued from October 25, 2023, onward. This means that those who receive a traffic fine now have up to two years in which the fine remains legally enforceable, providing authorities with a longer period to take action.

The second change addresses the consequences for individuals who fail to pay their fines within the allotted time. According to the updated regulation, if a fine remains unpaid after the deadline, the police are obligated to prepare legal documents and submit the case to the court for prosecution.

This applies to all cases of unpaid traffic fines, ensuring that non-payment will result in legal proceedings against the offender.

The Royal Thai Police are urging the public to follow traffic laws and pay fines promptly to avoid facing lawsuits or additional penalties.

Composite image courtesy: Daily News

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-27

news-footer-3.png

image.png

Gonna bog down the court system 

This applies to all cases of unpaid traffic fines, ensuring that non-payment will result in legal proceedings against the offender.

I thought CCTV fines for speeding and other offences like crossing solid white lines that incur a 500b fine, in theory had to be paid in 3 months and if not paid renewing your road tax would be withheld until you pay them off. All unpaid traffic fines sounds like a miss quote to me.

The second change addresses the consequences for individuals who fail to pay their fines within the allotted time. According to the updated regulation, if a fine remains unpaid after the deadline, the police are obligated to prepare legal documents and submit the case to the court for prosecution.

Seriously?  The court system would come to a stand still.

• Haha 1

I don't know but don't the idiots in brown actually have go do their jobs and right tickets????? The police action here in Phuket is when the police are shaking down the tourists for money that goes straight into there pockets. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

This extension applies to all traffic tickets issued from October 25, 2023, onward. This means that those who receive a traffic fine now have up to two years in which the fine remains legally enforceable, providing authorities with a longer period to take action.

Should be 30 days from issue of the ticket...

if not cleared the fine is doubled and another 30 days so on and so forth.

3 extensions maximum, then a court order is issued.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, gravity101 said:

Does anyone know where I can check to see if I have any outstanding? Is their an app for that?!

The 'Tang Rak' app has details of traffic fines, medical details etc. It is the same app being used for the digital wallet. I assume it is only available to Thai citizens.

Only found out when mrs went to do the annual car tax, we had two tickets but nothing in the post.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

aim to ensure stricter enforcement of road safety regulations.

that's a good one, "stricter enforcement". thai traffic laws haven't really been enforced in the past,

so any improvement from nothing to even a little should be possible...

oh, sorry, i'm dreaming! nothing we change ... TIT!

4 hours ago, MadMac said:

Nobody pays traffic tickets.

I do. Got 2-B500 camera trap fines in the post recently. Buriram had to pay at 7-11 and Chonburi was able to pay by bank transfer. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Should be 30 days from issue of the ticket...

if not cleared the fine is doubled and another 30 days so on and so forth.

3 extensions maximum, then a court order is issued.

And then what?

People have no money for fines let alone for a license or rego and tax.

7 hours ago, rocketboy2 said:

He must be due back soon, months or years to go ?

He comes and goes whenever he wants.

Easy when you have a private jet. Also, your daddy's rich and you ma is good lookin.

(Thanks to Ella Fitzgerald and others.)

Statute of limitations on  the last case (reckless driving causing death) runs out 2027.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

He comes and goes whenever he wants.

Easy when you have a private jet. Also, your daddy's rich and you ma is good lookin.

(Thanks to Ella Fitzgerald and others.)

Statute of limitations on  the last case (reckless driving causing death) runs out 2027.

2027 that will be when he makes his return. :sad:

As I said to her indoors, what's the point of having a sports car if you cant do 160 now and then?

I do use an app to warn of speed cameras, but can't always slow down in time...