7-Eleven Introduces Convenient PromptPay QR Code Payments Nationwide

webfact

4 minutes ago, Seppius said:

"QR code scam is rapidly rising as it is the most common way scammers can trick users. The rise of QR code scams poses a significant threat in the expanding digital payment landscape. Scammers exploit the ease of QR code use, directing users to phishing sites and risking sensitive data theft"

https://www.livemint.com/money/personal-finance/qr-code-scams-how-to-identify-and-be-safe-from-such-tricks-11701766191058.html

Trusting and scanning one of those unintelligible QR codes is akin to signing a form written only in Thai when told to do so by a cop.  Who knows whet they have let themselves infor? 

• Agree 1

On 9/27/2024 at 11:10 AM, brianthainess said:

Cash is king. IMO

Not so good for property purchase, car rental, hotel booking, flight booking, car purchase and online purchasing. Fine for small transactions though. 

I did pay the balance of around 750,000 baht for a new Honda Jazz in 2012. That was so my sister in law could see what it looked like. 

On 9/27/2024 at 12:34 PM, Mike Teavee said:

I am normally a cash guy but just back from a week on Koh Samet & found they’ve removed all (3) of the ATMs there so when I got down to my last few thousand THB I had to use my Banking Apps to pay the larger bills. 

Fortunately my 800K is in a fixed deposit account so doesn’t matter for extension purposes.   

Mike and others and yes do not have a mobile application but managed to pay cash on old bar codes from way back and yes the new system is working and they even send a thank you message and thought perhaps might have been a problem but went through very smoothly.

On 9/27/2024 at 1:31 PM, jippytum said:

Good for you. The majority  however do not prepare pre payment and fumble for their 'phones when asked to pay

Good for you.  My observation is, however, that the majority do not "fumble" for anything and most transactions (via whatever method), from being informed of the price, take seconds.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/27/2024 at 1:36 PM, Bert got kinky said:

I don't think that the poster was talking about ATMs either.

I think that he was using ATM as the widely accepted text messaging acronym for 'At the moment'.

You could well be right but, even so, his post was nonsense claiming that some transactions take five minutes for one purchase from "THBxxx please" to payment.

On 9/27/2024 at 1:51 PM, watchcat said:
On 9/27/2024 at 12:18 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Not talking about supermarkets or ATMs, this is about simply showing your QR code to a 7-11 staffer.  

What's wrong with showing cash where ever you go?

I didn't say that there was anything wrong with "showing" cash, so why do you ask?

2 hours ago, Seppius said:

"QR code scam is rapidly rising as it is the most common way scammers can trick users. The rise of QR code scams poses a significant threat in the expanding digital payment landscape. Scammers exploit the ease of QR code use, directing users to phishing sites and risking sensitive data theft"

https://www.livemint.com/money/personal-finance/qr-code-scams-how-to-identify-and-be-safe-from-such-tricks-11701766191058.html

Only if people are dumb.

If someone pretends to pay you with by showing fake QR codes, it's very simple to check as the money should be sent instantly to your account. If you don't receive any money transfer, it's fake.

It's also very safe to pay with QR codes in a shop. After you scan the code, you have to approve the transaction on your app with the amount of the purchase.

It's actually much safer than paying with credit cards, as you don't disclose any information such as card number and code. No one can re-use any information to make a fraudulous purchase paid by your bank account.

Edited by candide
  • Thumbs Up 1

A lot of naysayers or pay-with-cash-only here are pressed for time each time they visit a 7-11.

No time to lose. Maybe you should not gone in the store.

Just relax when a person in front of you takes a little bit longer than expected to pay.

Either with QR code or with cash.

This is Thailand.

ST

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

I also have such outdated habits,  I withdraw what I want when I want ,  carry it with me when i want , and spend it as I want in the old fashioned way. I have not yet progressed to holding others up as I fumble with my phone,  just give me some time and I will try to catch up with the latest time saving  advances in technology

It's not difficult.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, SouthThailand said:

A lot of naysayers or pay-with-cash-only here are pressed for time each time they visit a 7-11.

No time to lose. Maybe you should not gone in the store.

Just relax when a person in front of you takes a little bit longer than expected to pay.

Either with QR code or with cash.

This is Thailand.

ST

Many many times in LOS and many other countries (western and Asian) I've seen the cashier / sales clerk give the price / total price, then (and not before) the purchaser opens his / her bag and looks for their cash purse etc.

I give an example, my own mother, bless her, always waited for the price before opening her big handbag then looking for her money purse. Can't count the number of time the sales person and other customers were becoming frustrated about the total time being consumed and I would say to my mother "here's your money purse', and her reply "oh no, I only keep the money for my bread and milk in that purse", then the search for the actual cash  money purse starts again. 

2 hours ago, kimamey said:

Not so good for property purchase, car rental, hotel booking, flight booking, car purchase and online purchasing. Fine for small transactions though. 

I did pay the balance of around 750,000 baht for a new Honda Jazz in 2012. That was so my sister in law could see what it looked like. 

Who pays cash for property, most would pay with a cashiers check, or car purchase, paying for a hotel can be done with cash and that is not a Huge amount, online purchasing is COD, or transfer using an ATM, buying a car you can transfer money to them at a bank. So you wanted your SIL to see what 750K looked like ......

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Who pays cash for property, most would pay with a cashiers check, or car purchase, paying for a hotel can be done with cash and that is not a Huge amount, online purchasing is COD, or transfer using an ATM, buying a car you can transfer money to them at a bank. So you wanted your SIL to see what 750K looked like ......

You could also pay COD transactions by K Bank app or similar or prompt pay. So easy so quick and no need to go to an ATM. 

Further all Thai banks have pollici,es to quickly, in big numbers remove / cancel ATM machines.

Why?  Buying the ATM machines is quite expensive and they need mechanical maintenance, and the bank internal service to top up the cash held in the ATM is expensive and has security risks. All big costs.