Getting a credit card

Hi Guys

Any pointers on best way to get a credit card.

Been retired in Thailand 6 years, out of home country for over 11 years so I guess no credit rating.

Talked to my bank (SCB) and they wanted me to open a fixed account and they would give a credit card for half the value of the deposit 🤣

despite already having my 800k in one account and a "current" account that has seen a very healthy flow of money through it over the last six years.

Don't need the card for extended credit, just for when a credit card is really useful.

🍻

52 minutes ago, MarkT63 said:

Hi Guys

Been retired in Thailand 6 years, out of home country for over 11 years so I guess no credit rating.

Talked to my bank (SCB) and they wanted me to open a fixed account and they would give a credit card for half the value of the deposit 🤣

despite already having my 800k in one account and a "current" account that has seen a very healthy flow of money through it over the last six years.

Don't need the card for extended credit, just for when a credit card is really useful.

🍻

There is no way that, unless you have a job in Thailand, that you will get anything but a secured deposit credit card, though the SCB requirements are rather more than most at 200% of the limit Kungsri is at 110% though that is only certain for a Thai national (SWMBO has one) 

Secured deposit credit cards are a standard option in Thailand irrespective of nationality.

In the past regulations were less strict so the job requirement was not enforced strictly.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, MarkT63 said:

despite already having my 800k in one account and a "current" account

Same for me at KBank but they gave credit equal to the amount deposited. Half seems a bit ridiculous?

21 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There is no way that, unless you have a job in Thailand, that you will get anything but a secured deposit credit card

I have had a kasikorn credit card since 2008, having never worked in Thailand prior. I don't have any security on my credit cards or the spouse credit card I have issued by kasikorn bank. 

I also have a wisdom card which I had to deposit some money into MTL account, I get interest paid every few years, the balance I deposited plus growth will be returned after 14 years if I remember.

@MarkT63, try applying for a wisdom credit card from kasikorn bank. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

1 hour ago, MarkT63 said:

I have been out of Canada for 11 years and I still have a stellar score. I also apply for credit cards regularly. 

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I have had a kasikorn credit card since 2008, having never worked in Thailand prior. I don't have any security on my credit cards or the spouse credit card I have issued by kasikorn bank. 

As I said

35 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

In the past regulations were less strict so the job requirement was not enforced strictly.

I have not heard any reports of anyone getting an unsecured credit card without having a job in Thailand.

22 minutes ago, Celsius said:

I have been out of Canada for 11 years and I still have a stellar score. I also apply for credit cards regularly. 

Have you had a credit card issued in Thailand in the last year or so.

If so I would be very interested to have an update on the availability of unsecured credit cards without employment.

12 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:
35 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

As I said

You said the opposite. 

Time has nothing to do with it, it's not about the past.

I was sending my salary (500000 baht at the time) every month to Thailand, if you did the same thing today you will get a credit card 

My advice was a wisdom credit card to the OP 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I also have a wisdom card which I had to deposit some money into MTL account, I get interest paid every few years, the balance I deposited plus growth will be returned after 14 years if I remember.

@MarkT63, try applying for a wisdom credit card from kasikorn bank. 

Wisdom card details from Kasikorn site:

Qualifications

Main Card Applicants

20 - 80 years of age

Deposit / invest at least 10 million baht for an average of 6 months or according to the conditions set by the bank.

2 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Debit card maybe? Let’s you buy online just like a credit card. 

Kasikorn used to do a K-Web Virtual Card for online shopping. They changed it last year. I'm not sure what they have now.

Hi,

Ill say that it’s not IMpossible.. but its hard to do… banks really do want to see a valid work permit (and some want to see a WP that’s at least 6-12 months old and still has 3-6 months remaining) 

but.. each bank is free to see their own rules.. the “secured” card approach is one of the most common ways a non-citizen gets a card here .. but again, it’s not impossible to get a truly unsecured card … if you have a decent history with X branch of Y bank, I’d suggest you go and talk to the manager … S/he might be willing to assist you .. while credit card approvals aren’t done at the branch level, i’m sure that a “vote of confidence “ by the manager of the originating branch would be a positive for your applications approval odds.

4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

You said the opposite. 

No I didn’t, I said that years ago the requirements were different 

4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Time has nothing to do with it, it's not about the past.

It is absolutely about time. 2008 is in the past when requirements were significantly less strict.

5 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I was sending my salary (500000 baht at the time) every month to Thailand, if you did the same thing today you will get a credit card 

There have been many who have tried to get an unsecured credit card, nobody has posted success without either an very large bank deposit and certainly nobody who is just sending in the the 65k per month, you claim that you were sending in 6 million per year, today that would attract a significant Thai tax burden that few would want

After I think 14 years I will receive millions of baht, many millions more than I contributed. 

And I have a red bridge in a cool area of west coast USA that you can buy with your imaginary millions.

for those who have large income the rules are flexible, for the 99% if the population who don’t have those kinds of funds, none of them are getting an unsecured credit card

and FWIW you supposed unsecured credit card requires 10 million of term Kasikorn securities to start.

• Like 1

So a secured CC 😉😉😉 555555

5 hours ago, new2here said:

Hi,

Ill say that it’s not IMpossible.. but its hard to do… banks really do want to see a valid work permit (and some want to see a WP that’s at least 6-12 months old and still has 3-6 months remaining) 

BKK bank and K Bank want work permit and 6 months payslips.

I have unsecured credit cards with both.

5 hours ago, phetphet said:

Kasikorn used to do a K-Web Virtual Card for online shopping. They changed it last year. I'm not sure what they have now.

It is still available and called K online debit card (virtual card). Easy to set up with the app.

Edited by msbkk

7 hours ago, MarkT63 said:

Hi Guys

🍻

Then you can just use a debit card. Final!

6 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

So a secured CC 😉😉😉 555555

All my credit cards are not secured.

MTL is not kasikorn bank. 

https://www.muangthai.co.th/en/about-mtl

In a few years time I will receive all my investment.

I can close the MTL account if I like.

Just be careful on how you reply, you are being reckless, not giving the correct information. 

If you are eligible, you will receive an unsecured credit card 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

has anyone managed to make the secured deposit the 800k required by immigration? for those of us that needs it? 

the bank book and statement when requested doesn't say anything about it being used as collateral against credit cards, plus as term deposit you can't withdraw before the 'due date' anyway so immigration can't ask for withdrawal/deposits to get fresh statements 

If it's possible then you can actually 'spend' the 800k using this loophole 

American Express approached me and after due process signed me up for a Platinum Card. I have had a Bangkok Bank credit card(credit limit based on 100% of deposit ) for six years 

just saying 😀

Edited by snowybob
Added “credit card”

I applied at Bangkok Bank. Had to do a fixed deposit for the amount of "credit" I wanted. Not so bad as it earned higher interest.

The bank gave me 2 cards , one of which was an AirAsia card which earned points with AA, and a few other benefits. But that has stopped since covid.

So I still keep it as a "just in case".