Is street food good for you? Old rancid oil. Cheap oil. Food dripping with oil.

Gobbler

Do you think fried street food is healthy?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Of course most of the street food that are deep fried or in other ways drenched in oil, sugar, salt or other less desirable ingredients are not healthy. However, we tend to walk the line here, with a balance of all from unhealthy food to clean and healthy food. In my opinion this is very common in most countries, but in some legal and in others not. Some of us like the street food. Maybe not all, but some favorites among the huge variety. I don´t think it will be all too dangerous to eat it once in a while, but definitely nothing that should be a base for what you eat.

This is as most posts and replies from you, Malcolm. Just because you don´t care or have enough knowledge, you feel the need to use the though boy attitude and call others for snowflakes. That just cement you maturity level to a 13-16 years old school boy. Rancid food, or ingredients in food, does not build up any immune system. They are dangerous. However, not many food stalls are using rancid ingredients in their food, as the result of that would be that many people got sick.

That is definitely not true. There are different types of restaurants, different types of food knowledge and different ways of cooking. All that leads to that some restaurants get very busy and popular, known for it´s great taste, while the neighbor offering the same menu uses cheaper ingredients only get 3-4 visitors over lunch. Actually it´s the same with street stalls. 

No, Malcolm! You are posting garbage just because you have an uncontrollable urge to do so. A chronic condition that you must check up, as well as you totally lack the ability to accept other peoples stance or what they prefer in life. Moreover, you are 100% incoherent to facts, even when presented.

Oh dear, quite a rant.

it is a poll. If a polling company loaded the question that way it would be laughed at.

I didn’t give a serious answer because it was such a loaded question that seemed to go over your head.

Is street food good for you? Old rancid oil. Cheap oil. Food dripping with oil.

Probably equal to McDonald's , KFC , burger king etc .

The oil they mostly use is horrible and that's why I don't eat a lot of street food , as hours later you still get a horrible aftertaste in your mouth . I only use sunflower oil or olive oil if I'm cooking at home .

Obviously some places hygiene standards are non existent and what they put in som tam in some cases smells like a rotting corpse . But otherwise I have never been ill after eating Thai street food , only time I have been sick after eating was from KFC ! 

You forget how the Som Tom makers taste their food.  I have seen, more times than not, a fat Thai women run her finger along the Mortar, and then she adjusts the ingredients.  She will do this over and over.  Hep C, anyone?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

So now the truth.  The problem is not the foot it is the one who continues to bing it home contrary to repeated instructions 

What do you suggest I do to correct her? 

image.png.15a12d206273e674fbcce4aad92de391.png

1 hour ago, Gobbler said:

There are no vegetables in the oil. 

You are not looking correctly... at least that is what my wife might say... 

Actually my wife is not well and is on a clean food diet... no seafood, rather bland. Though we don't eat out, my wife will still use some sort of corn oil at home but not often. 

5 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

So now you want to change the topic from healthy food to relationship advice.  

You do need help.

Don't be jealous Bill97; there is plenty of space for you to make a fool of yourself. 

5 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

You are not looking correctly... at least that is what my wife might say... 

Actually my wife is not well and is on a clean food diet... no seafood, rather bland. Though we don't eat out, my wife will still use some sort of corn oil at home but not often. 

Coconut oil is the way to go. 

• Sad 1

Just now, 1FinickyOne said:

or no fried food at all... just the smell of it makes me sick... ooo-wuk...

I agree with you. I mostly cook with butter. Fresh garlic and butter plus herbs. I make a delicious steak. 

After 24 years of living in Asia, I tend to worry more about ultra processed food and the stuff they put in it back home to keep it from going off for extended periods and from causing rumble tummy.  I think we need to occasionally exercise our natural immunity to bugs and adversity, or our systems become too weak.  And all the emulsifiers, additives, and preservatives "back home" cannot be good for living organisms like our guts.

This past year, between 3/4 of my time in China and 1/4 in Thailand (where I love street food), I have had the rumble tummy once.  Worst symptom was "fecal urgency".  Hell, I got that from eating Olestra potato chips back in the day... 

I suspect that if my family came to visit from back home, they'd be in the can for days before they acclimatized.  Their systems are weak.  

Edit:  That said, I pop a couple of albendazole every 6 months or so to kill whatever parasites I may be harboring.  Liver flukes and liver cancer scare me...  The rumble tummy seems more cathartic, flushing the system.  I always feel better (and lighter) afterwards.

Edited by impulse

Old rancid oil ... Food dripping with oil.

That's inherently nonsense.  If the food is dripping with oil the oil will need to be topped up with fresh oil, so no "old rancid oil" - unless you think the vendors have a special supply of rancid oil with which to top up.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Street food is not only not good for you, it could also potentially kill you. Serious diarrhea can be life threatening if not treated early. I have witnessed so many people that have had their stomach pumped and hospitalized from street food. It is not worth it to eat this cheap, oil saturated, filthy slop prepared in the filthy streets of Thailand.

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/diarrhoeal-disease

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

That's inherently nonsense.  If the food is dripping with oil the oil will need to be topped up with fresh oil, so no "old rancid oil" - unless you think the vendors have a special supply of rancid oil with which to top up.

What is ridiculous is that you think rancid oil can be transformed into good oil by topping up.  It's not a mobile, it's a wok. 

2 minutes ago, Keep Right said:

Street food is not only not good for you, it could also potentially kill you. Serious diarrhea can be life threatening if not treated early. I have witnessed so many people that have had their stomach pumped and hospitalized from street food. It is not worth it to eat this cheap, oil saturated, filthy slop prepared in the filthy streets of Thailand.

I've eaten my share, damn tasty stuff, and have never even been ill from it.  As I stated earlier, choose wisely.

You can make the same poor choices in a restaurant, or even at home, if you're a bit ignorant of those thing, healthy eating & hygiene.  

Has nothing to do with street food, and all to do with you choices.   As all things in life.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I've eaten my share, damn tasty stuff, and have never even been ill from it.  As I stated earlier, choose wisely.

You can make the same poor choices in a restaurant, or even at home, if you're a bit ignorant of those thing, healthy eating & hygiene.  

Has nothing to do with street food, and all to do with you choices.   As all things in life.

You are still writing about food, yes? 

14 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Troll topic

6 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Troll topic

It's like that old (pre-interwebs) rumor that McDonalds used earthworms for their hamburgers. 

Until someone pointed out how much more expensive earthworms were than ground beef.

There's a lot of reasons to hate on Mickey D's.  Earthworms aren't one of them.  There's valid reasons to hate on some street food, too. 

48 minutes ago, Keep Right said:

Never been sick because of it in 40 years.

Edited by FritsSikkink

4 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

No good for fat western snowflakes.

But us tougher farangs along with the tough Thais, not only is all that oil a good source of energy but the rancid stuff builds up your immune system.

Half the kids in the nanny state west can’t even eat a peanut theses days without having a seizure.

I was one of the strongest men in any gym I've ever trained in, and my stomach had H Pylori this past year, and the gastritis I got from it had me in pain every day, until I had my first endoscopy and colonoscopy which found the H Pylori, and then had it treated. My stomach now is under a rebuilding the microbiota thing, and it will take time.

No one, no matter how "tough" they think they are, can get past stomach poisoning, ear infections, migraines or cavities without pain, which can make a strong man go to his knees. Everyone gets humbled in time, no matter your background. Rancid oil can do a lot of damage, and oil isn't a good source of energy. Using old oil is why Thailand's citizens have so many stomach ailments yearly, along with raw fish and dirty water, which could have been where I got my H Pylori from, as it's a common cause. You build your immune system by eating well, exercising, getting enough sleep and not picking bad partners in life (stress).As far as the street food, it can be healthy if you watch them cook it, and go to the places you see many people visit, as repeat customers tells a story. Heating food in high temps kills most bacteria, but some are sloppy chefs. I rarely had any stomach trouble until I moved here. This last year it was the H Pylori, but there have been quite a few times where I got a stomachache after eating here, in various places. The US doesn't allow this kind of food prep or storage to happen, and you won't see near as many instances of food poisoning as you do here. Leaving meat on tables, uncovered, lets bacteria grow , so you have to first smell the meat, and then be sure to fully cook it before eating.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1

I'd say some of the street food vendors are a bit dodgy some of the time but shop around.  People vote with their feet when it comes to food in Thailand. 

When I lived just out of Chiang Mai at a place called Mae Rim, there was a guy who opened his stall in the evening. 

He'd stay open till about 1am or when he run out of food to cook.  Many a time I sat, ate and watched him cook fresh food.  It was very good and I'd say definitely healthy. 

After every dish he'd clean the wok.  New oil every time.  His wife was 'front of house' ensuring everything was kept proper.  Workers did dishes in a seperate area, with clean water. 

On the other hand I've had street food in Chiang Mai proper and wasn't too impressed. 

So overall... What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.  I love Thai street food, and I'm not a fat, balding grumpy bastard either. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I was one of the strongest men in any gym I've ever trained in, and my stomach had H Pylori this past year, and the gastritis I got from it had me in pain every day, until I had my first endoscopy and colonoscopy which found the H Pylori, and then had it treated. My stomach now is under a rebuilding the microbiota thing, and it will take time.

No one, no matter how "tough" they think they are, can get past stomach poisoning, ear infections, migraines or cavities without pain, which can make a strong man go to his knees. Everyone gets humbled in time, no matter your background. Rancid oil can do a lot of damage, and oil isn't a good source of energy. Using old oil is why Thailand's citizens have so many stomach ailments yearly, along with raw fish and dirty water, which could have been where I got my H Pylori from, as it's a common cause. You build your immune system by eating well, exercising, getting enough sleep and not picking bad partners in life (stress).

Don't fee the trolls. Pun intended.