Is street food good for you? Old rancid oil. Cheap oil. Food dripping with oil.

Gobbler

Do you think fried street food is healthy?  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

After every dish he'd clean the wok.  New oil every time.

My original comment is really about deep frying. I'm sure the vendor is using vegetable oil. Awful stuff. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

No it isn't....especially up country.

The conditions/facilities with those street stalls (plus use of cheap oils etc) are the reason.

And expert!  You think the difference between a restaurant and a street vendor is the quality of the oil?  That's just ignorance.  Or stupidity. 

1 minute ago, Gobbler said:

My original comment is really about deep frying. I'm sure the vendor is using vegetable oil. Awful stuff. 

Mae Rim guy used canola oil.  Also known as rapeseed oil. 

He did all types of dishes, including deep fried.  Always fresh oil. 

• Like 1

Just now, Korat Kiwi said:

Mae Rim guy used canola oil.  Also known as rapeseed oil. 

He did all types of dishes, including deep fried.  Always fresh oil. 

Seed oils are the worst for you. 

Coconut and Olive oil are the only oils you can drink. I drink olive oil daily. It's a good oil. Good for you. Yes you can drink it. If it is good quality olive oil, it's delicious. Dip crusty bread in olive oil with some garlic. warm it in a pan. 

1 hour ago, Gobbler said:

I agree with you. I mostly cook with butter. Fresh garlic and butter plus herbs. I make a delicious steak. 

And for the other six days a week, breakfasts as well?

8 minutes ago, Gobbler said:

Coconut and Olive oil are the only oils you can drink. I drink olive oil daily. It's a good oil. Good for you. Yes you can drink it. If it is good quality olive oil, it's delicious. Dip crusty bread in olive oil with some garlic. warm it in a pan. 

Rice Bran oil?

1 minute ago, Gobbler said:

Was sort of hard core against seed oils also, till read & heard a bit more about them.  Now not so much, though use sparingly.

Main issues is, they are used extensively in processed food, especially the extreme junk food. 

Will use canola or peanut oil, depending what in the frying pan, and temp I want.   Beef Tallow & Butter more often, though pay attention to the caloric count.  Since I don't burn it off like I use to.

Olive & coconut for dressing and making chocolate.   Again some moderation, as get plenty of fats in my food already, since leaning toward a Keto ish diet.

This guy helps put it in perspective, cuts through some of the anti seed oil rhetoric.

• Like 1

List from best to worst all the cooking oils.
ChatGPT said:
ChatGPT

Here’s a general ranking of common cooking oils from best to worst based on their health benefits, fat composition, and cooking properties. Keep in mind that "best" and "worst" are relative terms, as the healthiness of an oil depends on factors like cooking temperature, dietary needs, and overall consumption.

Best to Worst Cooking Oils

1. Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)

• Best for: Low to medium-heat cooking, dressings, drizzling
  • Benefits: High in monounsaturated fats (MUFAs), rich in antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, heart-healthy.
  • Smoke Point: ~375°F (190°C)

2. Avocado Oil

• Best for: High-heat cooking (frying, grilling), dressings
  • Benefits: High in MUFAs, rich in vitamin E, improves heart health.
  • Smoke Point: ~520°F (270°C)

3. Coconut Oil (Unrefined)

• Best for: Medium-heat cooking, baking, sautéing
  • Benefits: Contains medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which may improve metabolism and provide quick energy. Some antimicrobial properties.
  • Smoke Point: ~350°F (177°C)

4. Canola Oil

• Best for: Medium to high-heat cooking (frying, sautéing)
  • Benefits: High in MUFAs, low in saturated fats, and contains omega-3 fatty acids. Budget-friendly.
  • Smoke Point: ~400°F (204°C)

5. Rice Bran Oil

• Best for: High-heat cooking (frying, stir-frying)
  • Benefits: Rich in oryzanol, antioxidants, MUFAs, and PUFAs, lowers bad cholesterol, high smoke point.
  • Smoke Point: ~450°F (232°C)

6. Ghee (Clarified Butter)

• Best for: High-heat cooking (frying, sautéing)
  • Benefits: High in saturated fats, rich in vitamins A, D, E, and K, and may support gut health.
  • Smoke Point: ~485°F (252°C)

7. Sunflower Oil (High Oleic)

• Best for: High-heat cooking (frying, roasting)
  • Benefits: High in MUFAs and vitamin E, reduces cholesterol levels.

8. Sesame Oil (Unrefined)

• Best for: Low to medium-heat cooking, flavoring, dressings
  • Benefits: Rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, adds a distinct flavor to dishes.

9. Peanut Oil

• Benefits: Rich in MUFAs, stable at high temperatures, commonly used for frying.

10. Walnut Oil

• Best for: Low-heat cooking, drizzling, dressings
  • Benefits: High in omega-3 fatty acids, anti-inflammatory, heart-healthy, but unstable at high heat.
  • Smoke Point: ~320°F (160°C)

11. Flaxseed Oil

• Best for: No-heat applications (drizzling, dressings)
  • Benefits: Extremely rich in omega-3 fatty acids, great for heart and brain health, but unstable for cooking.
  • Smoke Point: ~225°F (107°C)

12. Grapeseed Oil

• Best for: Medium-heat cooking, dressings
  • Benefits: Rich in vitamin E and PUFAs, moderate smoke point, but high in omega-6 fatty acids, which may promote inflammation in excess.
  • Smoke Point: ~420°F (216°C)

13. Soybean Oil

• Best for: High-heat cooking
  • Benefits: Rich in PUFAs, omega-6s, and vitamin E. However, high omega-6 content can lead to an imbalance in fatty acids.

14. Corn Oil

• Best for: High-heat cooking (frying)
  • Benefits: Inexpensive, widely used, but high in omega-6 fatty acids and can promote inflammation if consumed in large quantities.

15. Vegetable Oil (Generic)

• Benefits: Inexpensive and widely available, but often highly processed, made from a blend of oils (like soybean, corn, and canola), and high in omega-6 fatty acids.

16. Palm Oil

• Best for: Medium to high-heat cooking (frying, baking)
  • Benefits: Contains some beneficial nutrients like carotenoids, but high in saturated fats, and the environmental impact of palm oil production is significant.

Worst (Less Healthy)

17. Margarine/Shortening

• Best for: Baking
  • Concerns: High in trans fats (unless labeled as trans-fat-free), which are linked to heart disease, inflammation, and other health issues.

Key Points to Consider:

• Monounsaturated fats (MUFAs) (found in olive, avocado, and canola oils) are considered the most heart-healthy.
  • Polyunsaturated fats (PUFAs) (found in sunflower, grapeseed, and soybean oils) are beneficial but should be balanced with omega-3s to avoid excessive omega-6 intake.
  • Saturated fats (found in coconut oil, palm oil, and ghee) should be consumed in moderation.
  • Trans fats (found in margarine and shortening) should be avoided due to their adverse health effects.

For optimal health, it’s best to use oils with a good balance of healthy fats, low in processing, and appropriate for the cooking method.

I shall continue to use Rice Bran oil for frying in, and Coconut if I am going to consume the food it is cooked in. Both of these oils, I guess, are made here and not shipped halfway round the World like Olive and Canola oils.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Gobbler said:

ChatGPT said:
ChatGPT

Here’s a general ranking of common cooking oils from best to worst based on their health benefits, fat composition, and cooking properties. Keep in mind that "best" and "worst" are relative terms, as the healthiness of an oil depends on factors like cooking temperature, dietary needs, and overall consumption.

• Benefits: High in monounsaturated fats (MUFAs), rich in antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, heart-healthy.

2. Avocado Oil

• Benefits: Contains medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which may improve metabolism and provide quick energy. Some antimicrobial properties.

4. Canola Oil

• Benefits: High in MUFAs, low in saturated fats, and contains omega-3 fatty acids. Budget-friendly.

5. Rice Bran Oil

• Benefits: Rich in oryzanol, antioxidants, MUFAs, and PUFAs, lowers bad cholesterol, high smoke point.

• Benefits: High in saturated fats, rich in vitamins A, D, E, and K, and may support gut health.

• Benefits: Rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, adds a distinct flavor to dishes.

9. Peanut Oil

• Benefits: Rich in MUFAs, stable at high temperatures, commonly used for frying.

10. Walnut Oil

• Benefits: High in omega-3 fatty acids, anti-inflammatory, heart-healthy, but unstable at high heat.

11. Flaxseed Oil

• Benefits: Extremely rich in omega-3 fatty acids, great for heart and brain health, but unstable for cooking.

12. Grapeseed Oil

• Benefits: Rich in vitamin E and PUFAs, moderate smoke point, but high in omega-6 fatty acids, which may promote inflammation in excess.

13. Soybean Oil

• Benefits: Rich in PUFAs, omega-6s, and vitamin E. However, high omega-6 content can lead to an imbalance in fatty acids.

14. Corn Oil

• Benefits: Inexpensive, widely used, but high in omega-6 fatty acids and can promote inflammation if consumed in large quantities.

• Benefits: Inexpensive and widely available, but often highly processed, made from a blend of oils (like soybean, corn, and canola), and high in omega-6 fatty acids.

16. Palm Oil

• Benefits: Contains some beneficial nutrients like carotenoids, but high in saturated fats, and the environmental impact of palm oil production is significant.

Worst (Less Healthy)

17. Margarine/Shortening

• Concerns: High in trans fats (unless labeled as trans-fat-free), which are linked to heart disease, inflammation, and other health issues.

Key Points to Consider:

• Monounsaturated fats (MUFAs) (found in olive, avocado, and canola oils) are considered the most heart-healthy.
  • Polyunsaturated fats (PUFAs) (found in sunflower, grapeseed, and soybean oils) are beneficial but should be balanced with omega-3s to avoid excessive omega-6 intake.
  • Saturated fats (found in coconut oil, palm oil, and ghee) should be consumed in moderation.
  • Trans fats (found in margarine and shortening) should be avoided due to their adverse health effects.

For optimal health, it’s best to use oils with a good balance of healthy fats, low in processing, and appropriate for the cooking method.

One can probably never find the answer what is healthy or not. You see, the AI suggests Canola Oil at 4th place and Coconut oil 3rd. Experts or wannabe-experts on YouTube might not agree with this. What seems consistently is Olive Oil and Avocado Oil in top tier rankings (scientific research and social media experts)

11 minutes ago, CLW said:

One can probably never find the answer what is healthy or not. You see, the AI suggests Canola Oil at 4th place and Coconut oil 3rd. Experts or wannabe-experts on YouTube might not agree with this. What seems consistently is Olive Oil and Avocado Oil in top tier rankings (scientific research and social media experts)

coconut oil is much less expensive. 

Edited by Gobbler

7 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You can have one or the other.

But, you can't have both.

You are 100 percent wrong. Olive oil is all I need to prove your statement to be invalid.

I always order authentic mushroom soup at my favorite restaurant. They bring it with crisp bread. I ask them to bring me olive oil and.   I dip the bread and put spreadable garlic. 

It's healthy and tastes fantastic. Go ahead, prove me wrong.

43 minutes ago, Gobbler said:

ChatGPT said:
ChatGPT

2. Avocado Oil

4. Canola Oil

5. Rice Bran Oil

9. Peanut Oil

10. Walnut Oil

11. Flaxseed Oil

12. Grapeseed Oil

13. Soybean Oil

14. Corn Oil

16. Palm Oil

Worst (Less Healthy)

17. Margarine/Shortening

Key Points to Consider:

I had never even thought about avocado oil.

Good idea.

I will have to try some.

is it more or less expensive than EVOO?

3 hours ago, Gobbler said:

The GF bought deep-fried seafood that smelled rancid. I've told her countless times that if the food is dripping in oil or looks like an oil sponge, pass it. It was improperly cooked. The oil wasn't hot enough. 

Full stop. 

This happens with almost all the fried food she brings back. 

Learn her to cook it to your perfection , I have lived here 36 years,

and have had food poisoning once and that was in a hotel ,I will be

80 in couple of months , must be the preservatives and MSG in

the food ,if i had been living in the UK ,i am sure I would have been

brown bread years ago ,the type of food I used to eat there.

regards Worgeordie

20 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Learn her to cook it to your perfection , I have lived here 36 years,

and have had food poisoning once and that was in a hotel ,I will be

80 in couple of months , must be the preservatives and MSG in

the food ,if i had been living in the UK ,i am sure I would have been

brown bread years ago ,the type of food I used to eat there.

regards Worgeordie

She 46 and stubborn.  She freaks out when I put butter in her soup. 

You know I have never eaten any street food while I am here. I wonder where the vendor washes his hands after he has been to the toilet. I can't see can't clean toilets anywhere except malls so I'm assuming he does his business in some filthy market toilet.....so no thanks to food handled by him/her.