Proposal Needed for Legal Revisions to Foreign Land Leases

Under normal circumstances the owner of the land decides to whom they lease their land, to what purposes it is put too and for how long. What the hell has it got to do with the government!!?? One thing and one thing only.... GREED!!

6 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Because it stops progress.

The dinosaurs are terrified of change.

Progress and change might mean their extinction. :thumbsup:

actually it might be because they are not as stupid as western countries who allow foreigners to buy land pricing the locals out of the market... They should never allow leases more than 30 years... and they should also start enforcing the existing prescribed jail sentences for foreigners using nominee companies to buy Thai land.

26 minutes ago, Surasak said:

Under normal circumstances the owner of the land decides to whom they lease their land, to what purposes it is put too and for how long. What the hell has it got to do with the government!!?? One thing and one thing only.... GREED!!

Actually no... the landowner can only lease the land for use as designated by local zoning laws. Putting 99% leased land in govt control effectively retains the land in Thai ownership. It is a good idea. I cannot see who is being greedy here.

6 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Because it stops progress.

The dinosaurs are terrified of change.

Progress and change might mean their extinction. :thumbsup:

What progress has it stopped? The land still gets leased to foreigners for 99 years to be used as per the zoning laws.... 

5 hours ago, Russell17au said:

This shows how desperate this government that is lead by Thaksin's daughter is to rip the Thai people off. As I explained to my Thai wife that if she signs a 99 year lease with me on her farmland then she must sign the deed for that farmland over to the Thai Treasury Dept (Thai Government) which means the she no longer owns that farmland, it is now owned by the Thai Government who did not pay 1 Baht for the farmland. They stole it

Actually most Thai farmland was "GIVEN" to them by the government and handed down by generations where the rights of use titles are gradually upgraded to chanods. Ask your wife if her family actually bought the farmland.

15 minutes ago, asean said:

Actually no... the landowner can only lease the land for use as designated by local zoning laws. Putting 99% leased land in govt control effectively retains the land in Thai ownership. It is a good idea. I cannot see who is being greedy here.

I did state 'Under normal circumstances. This is Thailand after all.

Finance Permanent Secretary Lavaron Sangsnit might be interested to know, what happens in other places.

In Thailand they chicken around with leases, no property to non-Thais and all the rannygazoo, being afraid that those alien might roll up property, pack it into a suitcase and disappear into the dark of the night.

All the while, Tos Chirathivat, CEO of the mighty Central Group, bought yet another supermarket chain in Switzerland, Globus, with a huge plot of land on Switzerland's most expensive road, the Bahnhofstrasse in Zurich. The deal benefits of the very strong Thai Baht and the transaction is valued at something between 37 and 40 billion (not million) Thai Baht; Central became the sole owner of this prime property, no strings attached. 

Maybe Thailand's economy in the real estate sector might inch out of its medieval mindset and modernise its property laws and ownership concepts to the 21st century of a globalized world 😉 

6 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Thais should be banned from owning properties overseas, along with any other country that won't let 'falang own property' it pushes the price of property up for those countries citizens.

I agree. Foreigners are free to buy land or real estate in France, including thai people. This should only be possible if there is reciprocity. Same for businesses.