Feel sorry for AN posters who bought electric

Celsius

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

Please feel sorry for me, I’m an EV owner.

Please feel very sorry for me because I have now bought 1 PHEV and 3 BEV’s.

Please feel sorry for me because my depreciation at resale was excellent.

Please feel sorry for me because I hate driving around in total silence with 530 hp under my right foot which is delivered instantaneously to all 4 wheels with a slight RWD bias allowing me to pull tricks and drift.

Please feel sorry for me because I only got an 8 year parts and Labour warranty.

Please feel sorry for me because I only got eight years free servicing.

Please feel sorry for me because it costs me nothing to refuel.

Please feel sorry for me because I can hardly contain the joy every time I get in the driving seat and floor the accelerator.

Please feel sorry for me because I keep making the same mistake and being delighted with it.

I really need your pity, I am clearly so unhappy.

Do you have a top knot haircut style ?

• Confused 3

57 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Our solar, barely, sometimes not even produces enough energy to power the house, IF waned to run both ACs, so need to be conservative that day. 

57 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That it does produce enough excess to power the EVs, at no extra cost, is a bonus. 

So what is it?

It doesn't produce enough energy to power the house, or it provides excess energy that you in addition to the house also can charge your EV's.

Please make up your mind

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Yea, for some reason, they simply don't get it.  Our solar, barely, sometimes not even produces enough energy to power the house, IF waned to run both ACs, so need to be conservative that day. 

Means the cost of that system, was to power the house, not the EVs.  For us, we didn't even have the BEV (car).  Having solar was definitely added motivation to get a BEV (car).

That it does produce enough excess to power the EVs, at no extra cost, is a bonus.  So the EVs are energized at no extra expense = FREE in my world.

Didn't cost anything extra = FREE

Maybe this will help ...

"I'll have a coffee"

"Would you care for some pie?"

"No thanks, I don't have enough money"

"No problem, no extra charge"

"You mean FREE ?"

:coffee1:

Yours is of course a great set up... 

This is not an anti-EV comment... (our next car will very likely be EV, because I think they are a now good product)...    But I'm not under any pretence that they are 'cleaner'...   

But... for the most part are these EV's being charged and contributing to the 'CO2' issue rather than resolving it ?

China's coal production and consumption has tripped in the last 10 years. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_in_China#/media/File:China-energy-consumption-by-source.svg

Screenshot 2024-10-01 at 20.38.36.png

1 hour ago, UWEB said:

Solar was installed to supply power for my two Houses, Pool and Irrigation System. To charge the Car is just a Bonus. Amazing... isn't it?

Agreed...  But what of all the people in an Condo...  

In area's of high footfall where car use is greatly elevated per SqKM ?... 

I guess public transport is the true answer....    (as per the quote: “A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation")...

But...  In Cities - there such as Bangkok, Solar cannot power the cars, a great surcharge in demand for electricity at night time is going to cause issues...   Will transformers blow when all cars plug in for the night ?

Out in area's of less density, there is a dual win - both room for solar and the population sparsity means less demand on the power grid when 'everyone in the area plugs in in EV over night'... 

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

We renew ourselves this month, and I'm interested myself, what the total loss value will be.

As you know (for others), free 1st yr insurance was 960k vs 949k purchase price.

2nd year (1st renewal), value @ 840k,   New purchase MSRP price has gone from 949K to 869k down to very recent new MSRP price of 829k, with 599k promo, still going, if can find.   Best value out there IMHO, for B-class SUV (BEV or ICEV).

I'm thinking new total loss value will be 700-725k.

Personally I think Capital should have 2 values

Capital A for repair based on purchase price including subsidy

Capital B for return of capital if repair bill exceeds 80% this return of capital should be the price paid excluding subsidy

If we look at your purchase price of 949K  valued at 960K for 2nd year capital should have been B864K based on 10% off B960K or B854K based on 10% off B949K

3rd year (2nd renewal) Capital value should be B777K based on original B960K or B768,600 based on B949K original price

If you had a major accident that resulted in a huge repair bill the capital amount should be for the total cost of the car including subsidy

At the moment there are a few Neta V1 selling for B368K yet recently there was an article of a lady where her Neta V1 water entered the battery and the total repair cost was B430K

The biggest problem with these price reductions is the cost of parts remain unchanged from the original launch price

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

But there’s a regular poster on here who charges his car with solar during daylight hours and uses the car to power his house at nighttime.

When people say stuff like "but your solar wasn't free, so your EV charging isn't free" they've just demonstrated their ignorance of how solar works.

As we live in the tropics here in Thailand there is excess solar production in the middle of the day after powering the house and charging house batteries. So if it wasn't used for charging an EV it would be wasted. It is not possible to feed back power to the grid here as the schemes have been closed to new applicants.

7.jpg.5732e75a976d22698ba70627032bd0ca.jpg

I have 2 EVs and an electric motorbike with no fuel bills. My house is off-grid with no meter, so no utility bills and yes my EV can power my house at night.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

But... for the most part are these EV's being charged and contributing to the 'CO2' issue rather than resolving it ?

China's coal production and consumption has tripped in the last 10 years. 

Yet there was another poster in this thread claiming that the air in China now was less polluted because of the EV's.

Here is the reality.

image.thumb.jpeg.5135197aa61ce5d92174efa0384f9d65.jpeg

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

When people say stuff like "but your solar wasn't free, so your EV charging isn't free" they've just demonstrated their ignorance of how solar works.

As we live in the tropics here in Thailand there is excess solar production in the middle of the day after powering the house and charging house batteries. So if it wasn't used for charging an EV it would be wasted. It is not possible to feed back power to the grid here as the schemes have been closed to new applicants.

7.jpg.5732e75a976d22698ba70627032bd0ca.jpg

I have 2 EVs and an electric motorbike with no fuel bills. My house is off-grid with no meter, so no utility bills and yes my EV can power my house at night.

Outstanding set up...

If you dont mind me asking - how much would you estimate the 'whole set up fee' to be (ingoring cost of cars)...   For solar cells, batteries etc ???

IMO - there is scope for 'community power'...   i.e. All houses within a Moo-baan use their roof space for a battery....     And they batteries are 'interlinked' people use their own batteries, but they also feed a communal battery with excess'  juice that others can rely on at reduced usage rates. 

That should work for houses etc... but perhaps on Condos'....  but then, what about the cladding on condo's could that be made 'aesthetically pleasing' as solar cells ?

But... bigger issue IMO - how long does a solar installation last ? what is the cost of recycling ?

are we heading for another environmental issue with decommissioning millions of tonnes of expired solar cells... and also batteries ?

Is the 'environmental' can being kicked down the road instead of dealing with the end game now with 'carbon recapture' ?

Condo EV charging is being achieved in many countries.

IMG_3601.thumb.jpg.89468c349041083a3de2bc4165516021.jpg

It's important for non EV owners to understand that you don't need fast DC charging for overnight, a 3kW granny charger would provide plenty of power for most people's needs.

The best post I've seen on this topic was posted by @n8sail 

Screenshot_20240928_131832_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c39c3c63f5c2a9c94601482889d10a9f.jpg

Screenshot_20240928_131846_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6ec5a790bb5e1abdb3c02ab22d467338.jpg

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CallumWK said:

Maybe try to read the fine print yourself.

image.png.895c41252cbc230c738a7f5ce1ef117d.png

Yes it is a safety issue. However, there are degrees of safety issues. Some are minor and have minimal potential to cause harm. There is a difference between a faulty warning light that goes off and a defective airbag.

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Outstanding set up...

If you dont mind me asking - how much would you estimate the 'whole set up fee' to be (ingoring cost of cars)...   For solar cells, batteries etc ???

Thank you for your kind words

My system is a few years old now so I usually quote current prices, excluding incidentals like mount brackets, rails etc and the labour to fit.

Main Components (at todays prices) 
20,000 Watts of PV @ ฿5/W = ฿100,000
36kWh Batteries @ ฿5k/kWh = ฿180,000
20kW of Inversion @ ฿5k/kW = ฿100,000
Total = ฿380,000

2 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Thank you for your kind words

My system is a few years old now so I usually quote current prices, excluding incidentals like mount brackets, rails etc and the labour to fit.

Main Components (at todays prices) 
20,000 Watts of PV @ ฿5/W = ฿100,000
36kWh Batteries @ ฿5k/kWh = ฿180,000
20kW of Inversion @ ฿5k/kW = ฿100,000
Total = ฿380,000

OK.. So we're looking at about ฿400k extra...      

What are your thoughts on depreciation ? I've always been concerned that the value of an EV would drop off a cliff close to warranty expiration. But the value of an ICE doesn't...  but, engine parts are more readily replaceable than a knackered battery. 

That said - its reported that batteries last 15 years etc... 

Once there are modular batteries that can be easily switched out - the EV world is set - though I still question the overall bigger picture of them being environmentally friendly vs carbon recapture and H2.

22 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

But... bigger issue IMO - how long does a solar installation last ? what is the cost of recycling ?

are we heading for another environmental issue with decommissioning millions of tonnes of expired solar cells... and also batteries ?

Most solar panels are warrantied for 20-25 years. There is a very active second hand market for solar kit here in Thailand. 

The batteries in my house and EV have a LFP Cathode chemistry. The are less energy dense than NMC batteries but have a longer cycle life. My house batteries are quoted as 6,000 cycles and I do a cycle every 2 days. The car every 5 days 

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

What are your thoughts on depreciation ? I've always been concerned that the value of an EV would drop off a cliff close to warranty expiration. But the value of an ICE doesn't...  but, engine parts are more readily replaceable than a knackered battery. 

My Seal has the equivalent of over 6 Tesla power walls of backup power, in 10 years time that would be down to 5.

The Seal is a class D saloon the same as as a Honda Accord or a Toyota Camry so would probably have a similar depreciation even though it was cheaper new than the Accord or the Camry.

ToyotaCamry2014.jpg.fb968c1b85489f95b60dddcc9d5fc99c.jpg

HondaAccord2014.jpg.519c93d17b6f90d4e8fffc19d0b15e08.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Which implies, a link between climate deniers and those who'd argue against EV's...

There is a link between the climate deniers and those who argue against EVs.

The mere mention of EVs sends them nutty.

If you don’t think there is then I will let you believe that. You believe plenty of other things that doesn’t suit your narrative not based on any facts.

Now imagine if the bus that just killed 25 in Bangkok was an EV. That would send them all right off. The climate denying anti EV mob love a good vehicle fire.

If it is an EV.

7 hours ago, impulse said:

You would have a hard time convincing me that a $500, 5KW Honda generator is more efficient than a late model $30,000 ICE

True. I can't force you to study engineering. mathematics, or physics, and should you choose to ignore all three to preserve your pre-existing beliefs it really doesn't bother me.

'You be you" as they say. My comment was intended for those who want to be informed.