Feel sorry for AN posters who bought electric

Celsius

Thailand does have a long way to go to clean up it’s grid with the majority of the electricity currently being generated from fossil fuels. However, an increasing number of EV owners are adding solar purely for economic reasons.

Thailand does have a plan to expand renewable energy on the grid, with great sunshine and a long coastline for offshore wind it is definitely feasible.

“Thailand’s alternative energy chief unveils 51% renewable power plan”

https://www.nationthailand.com/sustainability/renewable-green-energy/40038917

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

There is a link between the climate deniers and those who argue against EVs.

The mere mention of EVs sends them nutty.

If you don’t think there is then I will let you believe that. You believe plenty of other things that doesn’t suit your narrative not based on any facts.

Now imagine if the bus that just killed 25 in Bangkok was an EV. That would send them all right off. The climate denying anti EV mob love a good vehicle fire.

If it is an EV.

I agree that there is a ‘minority’ on here who debate / discuss / argue from a basis of nothing more than uninformed bias…, & I agree that had the bus in question been an EV it would have been like cat-nip the anti-EV’ers….

Some may accuse me of being a climate  change denier from the perspective of not buying into all the media frenzy & panic surrounding storms etc, or rather, I sit on the fence that extreme weather is caused by climate change - extreme weather has always happened, it’s just impacting us humans in different ways because there are more of us, living in more areas of the globe with lightening quick social media….  I note that the term

’global warming’ is no longer used. 

That  said, I do accept there are human influenced climate alterations, and those alterations have occurred at a rate which appears more accelerated than can be explained by geological time’ - the obvious one is the doubling of atmospheric CO2 (~200 to ~400ppm) since the onset of the Industrial Revolution, though I am highly skeptical of how the issue has been politicized.

I like EV’s - I think they are incredible.

I want one because I think they are good vehicles. 
But, I don’t like the existing battery tech & I don’t believe EV’s are the transport solution - it’s just a better solution than ICE, although much in the same manner we used catalytic converters I’m not sure why greater steps were not taken towards CO2 & NO2 recapture. 

Am I a climate change denier because of this ? I don’t believe so….   

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

If all EVs were charged like that then yes you would have a point. But it is called a "temporary" charger, used for temporary sites.

Seriously, try harder.

P.S. Yawn.

At some point in the future, each neighborhood may have a ‘mini-reactor’ that can supply and respond instantly to local energy demand.

The issue of course is safety - serious consequences of taking out a city block when a fuel rod jams - that’s the paranoia anyway. 
Then there is the waste disposal issue - but that can be resolved (somehow - burying deep in the earth - 4km boreholes etc)

Had three major nuclear events not happened, the world would already be a very different place from

an energy perspective (the events were Three Mile Island, Chernobyl & Fukushima).

Currently hydrocarbons & CO2 is the daemon - but plant life is thriving because of more atmospheric CO2…. 
Does the earth balance itself out ? 

I’m really interested in carbon recapture - which I believe is cleaner than battery tech. Also hydrogen power & I expect to see some significant in H2 power along with an increased dependence on biofuels. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

I installed solar over 6 years ago to power my house off-grid.

฿5,000 a month electric bill x 12months x 6years = ฿360,000

@NoDisplayName The cost of solar varies wildly. If you opt for a “supply and fit” the installer will charge you a markup on the components as well as the cost of installation.

I purchased the components myself and was only charged for ancillaries and installation 

5,000 Watts of PV @ ฿5/W = ฿25,000
5kW of Inversion @ ฿5k/kW = ฿25,000
Total = ฿50,000

If you are charged more than ฿100,000 for a 5kW system you are definitely being ripped off.

I agree with @Gweiloman installing solar just to power an EV and a few lights won’t give you good utilization and so a long payback time.

Full house solar setup not necessary.  'Lectric bills run max 4000 if all AC's running, as low as 1500 in cooler months.  My six year total would be under 200K.

If a small system is cheap enough, should be easier than running power from the house.  Don't drive much, car could sit for days unused and charging, so never need to use an EV station.

No EV stations locally, nearest I've seen is 50km away.  Car would be used for local shopping and the occasional foray into the big city or to immigration.  I can keep the CNG Hilux for totin' large items and travel.

If a small battery storage module is cheap enough, why waste free 'lectric?

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Snackbar said:

Time for a paradigm shift

Urban redesign, HEV public transport

Nah .... as you'll still be adding to the low level air pollution.  Since usually diesel, the most unhealthy, kind of defeats the whole purpose.   Only the companies make more profit by better operating fuel economy.  Still addicted to fossil fuel.

13 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Holly frozen British pension.....is this the value of a Chinese car after only 2 years? From a dealer and 1st year insurance nonetheless?

https://www.one2car.com/for-sale/mg-mg3-d-Bangkok Metropolitan-Rarm Intra-Sukhaphiban5/14845120?auc=true

It is an entry level (POS) made in TH car, that now has to compete on the market against new BEVs in the 500k+/- baht range.   

Kind of validated the other thread about 2nd hand sellers in deep sh!t due to better, lower priced EVs now on the market.

If I had an ICEV that I wasn't going to keep till it dies, I'd be looking to sell ASAP, before the market gets even harder to sell.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Holly frozen British pension.....is this the value of a Chinese car after only 2 years? From a dealer and 1st year insurance nonetheless?

https://www.one2car.com/for-sale/mg-mg3-d-Bangkok Metropolitan-Rarm Intra-Sukhaphiban5/14845120?auc=true

Holly mismanaged 10,000-baht digital warret scheme....Seems to have held up better than this JapCrap© seen if you'd scrolled down on your listing.

2024 gasoline model already depreciated 50%!  I don't read thigh, so.......

https://www.one2car.com/for-sale/mitsubishi-attrage-active-กรุงเทพและปริมณฑล-รามอินทรา-สุขาภิบาล5/14754975?auc=true

Edited by NoDisplayName
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NoDisplayName said:

Remember -  There are no stupid questions, just stupid responses.

Good advice given to check out @atpeace thread about his install.  We paid for installation, on our larger system, so not sure it would be helpful.   Overkill for what you're asking.

A few others have DIY systems, can point you in the right direction.  A few threads running in this forum

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

It is an entry level (POS) made in TH car, that now has to compete on the market against new BEVs in the 500k+/- baht range.   

Kind of validated the other thread about 2nd hand sellers in deep sh!t due to better, lower priced EVs now on the market.

If I had an ICEV that I wasn't going to keep till it dies, I'd be looking to sell ASAP, before the market gets even harder to sell.

That almost makes sense except ot does not. The cheapest 12 year old Honda Jazz sells for 264,000

https://www.one2car.com/for-sale/honda-jazz-jp-กรุงเทพและปริมณฑล-พัฒนาการ-พระราม9ตัดใหม่/15002297

4 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Holly mismanaged 10,000-baht digital warret scheme....Seems to have held up better than this JapCrap© seen if you'd scrolled down on your listing.

2024 gasoline model already depreciated 50%!  I don't read thigh, so.......

https://www.one2car.com/for-sale/mitsubishi-attrage-active-กรุงเทพและปริมณฑล-รามอินทรา-สุขาภิบาล5/14754975?auc=true

It is not a 2024 model, but nice try 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Celsius said:

What you ask for, and what you'll actually get is 2 different things.  Peek at FB Marketplace for 12 yr old Jazz, and it won't be 1/4 baht range.  Plenty asking, but plenty more in the 150k+/-

Jazz cost quite a bit more than MG3 back then. 

Apples & Oranges

image.png.79a5b1bee5e6b862d14cdf61b993babc.png

1 minute ago, Celsius said:

It is not a 2024 model, but nice try 

Like I said I don't read thigh, but numbers?

2024 Mitsubishi Attrage 1.2 (ปี 19-23) Active Sedan

1st hand issued a red badge with a guarantee of genuine mileage 5,xxx km MITSUBISHI ATTRAGE 1.2 Active Year : 2024
Transmission : Auto
Petrol Engine : 1,200 CC

6 hours ago, G_Money said:

Can anyone explain this logic?

Fossil fuels to supply an EV charger.

🔌

I was under the impression the goal was to eradicate fossil fuels.    Did I miss something?

IMG_4144.jpeg

IMG_4145.jpeg

So much knowledge here from our electrical Wizards but not one can answer the basic question!

Silence is deafening.

• Confused 2

10 minutes ago, G_Money said:

So much knowledge here from our electrical Wizards but not one can answer the basic question!

Silence is deafening.

I answered you, yet you ignored me. Your silence is deafening.

Not sure what you are trying to prove. Generators are common. Someone has brought to market a temporary generator that can charge EVs in temporary or very remote locations. Temporary. It is not a permanent charging station. Temporary. Are all EVs being charge by diesel generators?

Read the tech spec or is that too much trouble? Posting the actual link was clearly too much trouble for you - seems you can only deal in pictures.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

I answered you, yet you ignored me. Your silence is deafening.

Not sure what you are trying to prove. Generators are common. Someone has brought to market a temporary generator that can charge EVs in temporary or very remote locations. Temporary. It is not a permanent charging station. Temporary. Are all EVs being charge by diesel generators?

Read the tech spec or is that too much trouble? Posting the actual link was clearly too much trouble for you - seems you can only deal in pictures.

You may of answered a different thread but not this one.

Don’t these TEMPORARY generators defeat the purpose.

Just drive ICE and eliminate that generator.

3 minutes ago, G_Money said:

You may of answered a different thread but not this one.

Don’t these TEMPORARY generators defeat the purpose.

Just drive ICE and eliminate that generator.

As I thought, you do only deal in pictures and have trouble reading.

If all EVs were charged like that then yes you would have a point. But it is called a "temporary" charger, used for temporary sites.

Seriously, try harder.

P.S. Yawn.

Just now, G_Money said:

That was not the post I was referring to and you know it.

What the heck? You quoted that exact post about the temporary generator with this question:

Can anyone explain this logic?

Fossil fuels to supply an EV charger.

🔌

I was under the impression the goal was to eradicate fossil fuels.    Did I miss something?

and then added:

Silence is deafening.

Here's the link to your post in case you can't remember what you did 36 minutes ago.

6 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Seriously, try harder.

P.S. Yawn.

Ok   Found it.  Overlooked , not ignored.  

So the EV ‘s not so efficient and simple after all .  A lot of extra Baggage to deal with.  

Temporary or Permanent.

54 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Like I said I don't read thigh, but numbers?

2024 Mitsubishi Attrage 1.2 (ปี 19-23) Active Sedan

1st hand issued a red badge with a guarantee of genuine mileage 5,xxx km MITSUBISHI ATTRAGE 1.2 Active Year : 2024
Transmission : Auto
Petrol Engine : 1,200 CC

No it is not.You need to read carefully. 

Edited by Celsius

4 minutes ago, Celsius said:

No it is not.You need to read carefully. Do you get scammed a lot in Thailand? Like i am 19 year old no baby.

It's ADVERTISED as a 2024 model with 5,000 km, Is it not?

Or is it a 2024 model produced at the end of 2023 with only 5,000 km?

Either way that would suck, as a car less than a year old depreciates 50%.

1 minute ago, NoDisplayName said:

It's ADVERTISED as a 2024 model with 5,000 km, Is it not?

Or is it a 2024 model produced at the end of 2023 with only 5,000 km?

Either way that would suck, as a car less than a year old depreciates 50%.

It is 2024 model produced in 2023

I'm hoping my next car/truck will be an EV. It's the best way to go for the future. EVs are not pollution-free, but they're better than gasoline- or diesel-powered vehicles.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Celsius said:

It is 2024 model produced in 2023

It's a 2024 model.

It has 5,xxx km on it.

It has depreciated about 50%!

Meaning YOUR link to a 2022 anecdote that is older than the 2024 anecdote depreciating about 50% is much worser as a comparison.

It actually "proves" that ICE vehicles depreciate TWICE as fast as EV's.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1