Incredible US banking ineptness

1 hour ago, gamb00ler said:

It sounds like you are not a Citibank customer.  If you are a customer why would you feel uncomfortable giving them your name and account number?

1 hour ago, jaywalker2 said:

And what difference does it make if I have a Citibank account?  The name on the credit card account and the email account isn't mine. Why do they need my personal details?

As you can see.... I gave an explanation of why it's relevant if you have a Citibank account.... 

.... and you have never (in this topic) stated if you have a Citibank account.

On 10/1/2024 at 2:07 PM, jaywalker2 said:

No, citibank confirmed it was a real account. They said they couldn't close it without proof it was fake.

And they said they needed better identification for the complaint that was refused. I would not accept account complaints from an unidentified Karen either.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

Could you please name them? I just tried to open an Ally bank account and was refused even though I had a US address because of my lack of credit history. I tried to open a Vanguard account and they refused because they suspected I wasn't in the US. I have an account Citibank but they will not issue me a credit card because I'm living abroad.

So, please, I would be very happy to know which bank would let me open an account from Thailand and issue me a credit cards using my Thai address.

State Department Federal Credit Union.  (sdfcu.org).  Not necessary to be any kind of US govt employee or retiree.  The bank will give you a list of organizations that you will need to join prior to opening the account,.  The costs of some are really low.  I joined American Citizens Abroad  and once the account has been opened, the following year you do not have to renew your membership in that organization.  The bank will issue credit cards, etc.  They have a really active fraud for the cards too especially since we are overseas.  I have been a member now for 5 years because BOA cancelled my account after 40 years because I had no US address  or phone number.  There are other banks that will also open an account for American expats (I think), once read Navy credit Union too but really have no info on other than the SDFCU.  Good luck!

22 minutes ago, Presnock said:

State Department Federal Credit Union.  (sdfcu.org).  Not necessary to be any kind of US govt employee or retiree.  The bank will give you a list of organizations that you will need to join prior to opening the account,.  The costs of some are really low.  I joined American Citizens Abroad  and once the account has been opened, the following year you do not have to renew your membership in that organization.  The bank will issue credit cards, etc.  They have a really active fraud for the cards too especially since we are overseas.  I have been a member now for 5 years because BOA cancelled my account after 40 years because I had no US address  or phone number.  There are other banks that will also open an account for American expats (I think), once read Navy credit Union too but really have no info on other than the SDFCU.  Good luck!

Thanks, very helpful information.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/2/2024 at 2:27 PM, bubblegum said:

Just open a Wise account, it's in Belgium with a Belgium bank nr. and IBAN.

Not a bad idea but you have to realise that Wise is not a bank.

Certain risks involved in leaving money with them eventhough they place most funds in other banks that may save you if the company went bankrupt

11 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

They can check the social security number on the account and see if it matches the name. Why do they need my personal details?

So you call them to shut down the fake account but refuse to prove who you are so they can match the account and help you?

They need to know who you are and if the account is yours so they match your ss to what shows on the acct. Checking the one on the account doesn't tell them its your account it just tells them the account has a ss number. Think about it, its not rocket science. 

It was most like a scam email try to phish for your details if you clicked on the link in the email. 

• Like 1

It's just amazing to me the hoops somebody who lives overseas has to jump through in order to open a bank account, keep it open, or get a credit card or do anything else.

Problems with US banks / accounts??   Maybe it's you that has the problem.  If you have difficulty opening a bank account or applying for a new CC, it's you, not the bank or the lender....you, your problem.

If you're trying to open a bank account or apply for a CC while you are in a foreign country....it's your lack of understanding common business practices and maybe lacking common sense and piss poor planning.  If this fits you, then I'll put some things on FB marketplace to sell you.  After you transfer the money to me, I'll ship the items to you right away!

A few weeks ago (Sep '24), I opened new checking and savings accounts with a high rated and exclusive banking institution. that I've done biz with since '94. I did this here in Thailand, no phone calls, just my laptop.  It was simple to complete online and then I transferred/deposited about 2000 THB / $50 to each account.  A week later, I wired a large deposit using Swift from my BK Bank to my new US Bank account.  It was almost instant and the next morning it was there when I checked online. Using Swift to transfer to the US was my only reason for opening a new chk/sav account with this bank that I've used for other account types for a 30 years. Not every US bank accept Swift or foreign currency transfers.

If you're having problems, you may be someone that didn't have smart plans or any strategy and arrived in Thailand with ONE single debit card/ATM card, and probably one CC, or maybe no CC at all.  You can read those sob stories on social media when someone can't access their bank or their money back in their home  country.

When I moved here several years ago, I arrived with 3 debit/ATM cards and 3 CC.  The same 3 banks and cards I've had for 30+ years.  I have no trouble keeping these accounts and cards and living here in in Thai.  For those from other non-US countries...I feel grateful and blessed when I read about your woes and problems because you don't have the same freedom and liberties.  

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

No, of course I didn't click on any links. This is the email address: [email protected]

When I called Citibank, they seemed to indicate that it was a legitimate account although admittedly I had soe difficulty understanding the representative because of the poor quality of the call. She made no mention of a phishing scam.

Heere's a Reddit post on the same theme:

So I’ve been getting a lot of realistic emails and phone calls from Citi Bank saying I have applied for a card and it was accepted and being shipped to me, even though I have NEVER even so much as even thought about getting a Citi card. The street address in the email was correct, and they even left me a message with a callback number and reference number. I tried calling the callback numbers and it just says called failed.

I also tried contacting Citi Bank directly about this from the number listed on their website and not only was the fraud prevention agent very rude and extremely hard to hear due to a terrible quality mic, they demanded my ssn, which I refused to share. I work in tech and know a phish when I see one, so despite how realistic and accurate these calls and emails seem to be I have to assume it is phishing. Citi bank support absolutely sucks and is totally unhelpful. I looked up the email domains and phone numbers and most posts/sites seem to say they’re not fraudulent?

FYI, the emails usually come from [email protected] or [email protected] and the phone numbers were 8664933599 and +1 (866) 299-2421. Hoping this will at least find someone who’s also experiencing this, and if anyone has a similar experience please shed some light!

You work in tech and can't see a phishing scam email for what it is. Then claim the call center is not helpful but you refuse to give them needed info to verify your claim of a fake acct?  Seems Citi bank isn't the only one that sucks and isnt helpful.

17 minutes ago, NedR69 said:

Problems with US banks / accounts??   Maybe it's you that has the problem.  If you have difficulty opening a bank account or applying for a new CC, it's you, not the bank or the lender....you, your problem.

If you're trying to open a bank account or apply for a CC while you are in a foreign country....it's your lack of understanding common business practices and maybe lacking common sense and piss poor planning.  If this fits you, then I'll put some things on FB marketplace to sell you.  After you transfer the money to me, I'll ship the items to you right away!

A few weeks ago (Sep '24), I opened new checking and savings accounts with a high rated and exclusive banking institution. that I've done biz with since '94. I did this here in Thailand, no phone calls, just my laptop.  It was simple to complete online and then I transferred/deposited about 2000 THB / $50 to each account.  A week later, I wired a large deposit using Swift from my BK Bank to my new US Bank account.  It was almost instant and the next morning it was there when I checked online. Using Swift to transfer to the US was my only reason for opening a new chk/sav account with this bank that I've used for other account types for a 30 years. Not every US bank accept Swift or foreign currency transfers.

If you're having problems, you may be someone that didn't have smart plans or any strategy and arrived in Thailand with ONE single debit card/ATM card, and probably one CC, or maybe no CC at all.  You can read those sob stories on social media when someone can't access their bank or their money back in their home  country.

When I moved here several years ago, I arrived with 3 debit/ATM cards and 3 CC.  The same 3 banks and cards I've had for 30+ years.  I have no trouble keeping these accounts and cards and living here in in Thai.  For those from other non-US countries...I feel grateful and blessed when I read about your woes and problems because you don't have the same freedom and liberties.  

Yeah you come lately guys have all the answers.  But what you fail to understand is that many of us came here 20 or more years ago when the banking industry was entirely different.  Now with the OECD, FACTA and CRS banks in many countries have different operating rules.  I had a BOA acct or more than 40 years but when the new rules came down about 5 years ago I had already sold my US property so instead of lying about where I lived (meaning maybe a relative or friend but not true in reality) I told the bank my living address in Thailand so my acct was cancelled.   Fortunately I was informed that the State Department Federal Credit Union would open an account and did not have to be any kind of govt employee living overseas to do so.  I have now been with them for 5 years, have credit cards, my Thai wife and daughter are co-acct holders.  Haven't had any issues with this bank at all and they provide good security on my credit card too.   If I had moved here in the last 5 years, life could very easily be different.  You blaming the expats when you don't have any idea of our lives before coming here and being prepared for changes a future world.  now that you are here, guess there might be even more changes coming even for you but guess  you are omnicient about life and any future changes.  Anyway glad you have no problems unlike many in the real world.