IRAN ATTACKS ISRAEL

CharlieH

Israel's defence system stood firm on Tuesday night as Iran unleashed a barrage of nearly 200 missiles across the country, sparking fears from world leaders that the escalation could plunge the Middle East into an all-out war.

Iran launched multiple waves of missiles targeting Jerusalem and Tel Aviv in retaliation for Israel's recent military actions against Hezbollah in Lebanon, including the assassination of its leader the previous week.

Air raid sirens blared as 181 missiles were fired toward Israel, with several rockets bursting into bright orange flames near Tel Aviv as they were intercepted by Israel's 'Iron Dome' defense system. The missiles, ordered by Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, streaked across the night sky like comets as they were destroyed mid-flight.

The attack, which Israel vowed to retaliate against, caused panic as civilians took shelter from falling debris. Chunks of molten metal crashed to the ground, though the offensive was hailed as 'heroic' by Hamas. This marks a significant escalation in the conflict, with the scale of the attack being 'twice the size' of a similar Iranian bombardment in April, involving more than 170 drones and 120 ballistic missiles.

In a setback for Iran, the U.S. declared the missile barrage "defeated and ineffective," resulting in just one reported fatality: a Palestinian man in the West Bank, who was killed by shrapnel.

Based on a report from: The Mail Online 2024-10-02

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tug said:

To me it’s possibly an excuse to go in and wipe out Irans nuclear program…ether way it’s an unwelcome escalation.

That's the plan, step 1. Step 2 is to starve Iran and force political change. 

Iran clearly hasn't learnt from Palestine what happens when you attack Israel.

I feel sorry for their citizens, because Israel will now rightly defend itself with extreme prejudice and it won't end well for Iran. 

Get your wallet out again Joe. The iron is hot.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

On Sunday, the IDF flew a long distance mission to take out missile sites and munition depots located at the Ras Isa and Hodeidah ports. It required the air crews to fly a 4,000 km round trip mission that passed through airspace watched closely by Egypt,  Saudia Arabia and Eritrea. There is no way that  the IDF could have flown that mission to surprise the Houthis without the tacit co-operation of the 3 nations. The KSA was heavily involved in trying to liberate Yemen from the grasp of the Iranian backed Houthis, so it is more than likely that the Saudis gave a little more than a wink and a  nod to Israel. There was no need to threaten  Egypt or   Saudi Arabia, nor would they have responded positively to  any threats. Both are proud nations capable of stopping an Israeli  air strike should they so choose.

Iran is backing  Hezbollah in Lebanon. Hezbollah was the military  force that kept Assad of Syria in power and who are directly implicated in the deaths of 500,000 Syrians and the creation of 14 million Syrian refugees.  Hezbollah maintains a well equipped army in Lebanon. Aside from Syria, Where else does a minority of the population dominate a sovereign nation? The Shia muslims represent 30% of the Lebanese population and you are misguided if you believe that the SUnni's, Druze and Christian population march to the drum of the Shiites.  In the immediate region, outside of Shia majority areas, Gaza and the West Bank of Israel, there is little support for Hezbollah. Egypt is Sunni, much of the Gulf Arabs are Sunni and more importantly, they all dislike Iran. In the region, the enemy of my enemy may not be my friend, but he can be tolerated as long as he   damages my enemy.

It is arrogant to assume that western threats carry much influence in the Arab world. The Gulf Arabs are wealthy, and  their elites are better educated than westerners. They are a proud people as are the Egyptians and Jordanians. They don't respond well to western threats. They fought to throw out the abusive Ottoman Empire and then they fought to throw out the  Europeans who replaced the Turks. The continual meddling of Iran in the region presents a threat to Sunni  faith regimes and while they may not  support Israel, they are not shedding any tears if Iran and its proxies are  kicked about.

Excellent post!  

Glad you mentioned “the enemy of my enemy” saying .  So true in the ME.

4 hours ago, impulse said:

Bet'cha Israelis are praying that the US and UK don't get into a hot war in Ukraine... 

I shudder to think how long Israel would last if they didn't have the US at their back, and bribing and threatening all their Muslim neighbors to play nice.

I wasn't aware that any of these players had an interest in fighting in Ukraine.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

Looks like Israel will be asking the US for more money. Unfortunately, the US will comply not even caring that Israel has committed serious war crimes with the communications devices exploding. Biden and Harris should be ashamed of themselves for supporting these criminals. For not speaking out at the crimes Israel are making with their so called offensives. I am far from saying Hamas is good. But the US should regn in Israel with threats of Non-support if they continue to break international laws for war. 

War crimes?  How about the initial onslaught by Hamas .  Women and children slaughtered.    Doesn’t count?

Quit mimicking stupid, clueless college kids.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, G_Money said:

War crimes?  How about the initial onslaught by Hamas .  Women and children slaughtered.    Doesn’t count?

Quit mimicking stupid, clueless college kids.

Hamas lies, woman and children were not slaughtered .Hamas Terrorists hid behind civilians and they caused civilian deaths .

Can you not understand that ?

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, CharlieH said:

The attack, which Israel vowed to retaliate against, caused panic as civilians took shelter from falling debris. Chunks of molten metal crashed to the ground, though the offensive was hailed as 'heroic' by Hamas.

A small example of what Gazan's experience every day but worse.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, thesetat2013 said:

So you mean... 2 wrongs make it right.. Where is your mentality? 

Nice deflection.

You were the one putting it all on Israel.

Hamas started it.  Israel will end it.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, G_Money said:

Nice deflection.

You were the one putting it all on Israel.

i did no such thing except to say the USA supports Israel and should instead be criticizing some of their actions. But it is ok you did not understand my previous comment. You have shown what is good for the goose is not good for the gander when it comes to this war. One sided opinion obviously. Are you Jewish? Just curious why the bias?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

i did no such thing except to say the USA supports Israel and should instead be criticizing some of their actions. But it is ok you did not understand my previous comment. You have shown what is good for the goose is not good for the gander when it comes to this war. One sided opinion obviously. Are you Jewish? Just curious why the bias?

The terrorist organization Hamas started this conflict and Israel will end it.  

Whatever it takes.

Are you a Muslim?  Just wondering because of your bias.

Me Jewish?  No .  I support Israel in this endeavor 100%.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, G_Money said:

This isn't wholly true.  All of this has been bubbling since the late 1940s, with peaks and troughs of craziness since then.  Yeah, Hammas triggered the latest Israeli retaliation in Gaza, no doubting that.  There are people on both sides of this latest flare up who have committed war crimes and should be held to account.

I don't even know whose fault all of this is.  That debate would like just go round in circles, so I'm not going there.  To slightly echo an earlier post, as a child my parents told me 2 wrings don't make a right.  With the Israelis and their neighbours it is more like tens of thousands of wrongs, and I don't know when that cycle will ever end.  I'm just sad for the vast majority of people in that whole region who just want to live their lives in safety.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1