Inferno bus in use for 54 years

webfact

Clearly the body of the bus is not that old. Chassis maybe but even that a bit doubtful. 

Either way, the age of it unlikely to be reason for the incident, rather maintenance (tires, door locks, gas system, fire extinguisher system etc). 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Unless you count the problems due to low GDP per capita, crap wages, and not enough money to adopt nanny state standards...

I doubt that many would support your derogatary remarks about standards and regulation being applied by public authorities to public transport, particularly as regards the carriage of our kids. 

7 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

This is pure greed from the bus company owner. Most Thai businesses keep all the profit instead of reinvesting in improvements.

B.S.: Thai companies compete ferociously for business (unless they operate in "protected" businesses, like the liquor and alcoholic beverages industry). And competition keeps the prices low, so low that these companies often cannot afford to renew their obsolete equipment.

Thai authorities are the ones who shall ensure that all vehicles circulating on Thai roads are safe, starting from the biggest and most dangerous ones: busses and trucks.

Allowing 50 yo busses and trucks on the road, keep prices of transport low, at the expenses of safety.

Greed and profit have nothing to do with this accident. Dereliction of duty and corruption have a much bigger role.

1 hour ago, SantiSuk said:

I doubt that many would support your derogatary remarks about standards and regulation being applied by public authorities to public transport, particularly as regards the carriage of our kids. 

I was responding to a claim that "Every problem in Thailand always comes down to laziness and greed." 

Injecting a little dose of economic realty that low wages and lack of funds make even the most genuine of efforts difficult at best.  It's not all laziness and greed.  That claim is the derogatory one.  Coming from nanny state refugees...  Who want "back home" safety at Thai competitive prices.  You can have one, or you can have the other.  Not both.

• Agree 1

It's not uncommon to rebody old vehicles.

I worked at a private bus company in Aus, we had several buses with 2 year old bodies.

The chassis and mechanicals were first built in 1950.

Mind you they did get repaired when needed, unlike here

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Grumpy one said:

It's not uncommon to rebody old vehicles.

I worked at a private bus company in Aus, we had several buses with 2 year old bodies.

The chassis and mechanicals were first built in 1950.

Mind you they did get repaired when needed, unlike here

Also in UK was common to have new bodies on older Coaches, we also have  a new body single body coach that used to be a double decker..  main give away was the crash box, but as I learnt to drive buses with crash boxes so was in heaven 

Main problem on a Diesel is the turbo, which can explode   > also a disadvantage of the rear engine buses as you cannot hear, [must keep a eye on the turbo booster gauge] 

20 hours ago, impulse said:

Unless you count the problems due to low GDP per capita, crap wages, and not enough money to adopt nanny state standards...

Let's ignore racial inferiority. 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

Here it is embraced by the Thai people, stop fooling yourself.

You didn't answer my question. 

So I guess "greed and laziness" are not hallmarks of your own county's culture?

(Wasn't that the USA? IIRC)

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Lorry said:

You didn't answer my question. 

So I guess "greed and laziness" are not hallmarks of your own county's culture?

(Wasn't that the USA? IIRC)

You damn well know about the amount of Corruption/Greed/Laziness here, and it's embracing by the whole of the population is way worse than in the USA. Thai's only despise corruption if they aren't part of it, completely at odds with the West.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, lordgrinz said:

You damn well know about the amount of Corruption/Greed/Laziness here, and it's embracing by the whole of the population is way worse than in the USA. Thai's only despise corruption if they aren't part of it, completely at odds with the West.

Sorry to tell you that I know many people who think "greed and corruption" are hallmarks of US culture. Some of them are Americans.

The "Economist" once ran a nice story about it.

BTW who coined the phrase "greed is good"? Was it a Thai?

• Confused 1

Just now, Lorry said:

Sorry to tell you that I know many people who think "greed and corruption" are hallmarks of US culture. Some of them are Americans.

The "Economist" once ran a nice story about it.

BTW who coined the phrase "greed is good"? Was it a Thai?

You're delusional on a whole new level, but keep defending this horrible unsafe culture. We do have a police force in the US, and they do indeed enforce laws, daily!!! not just to benefit themselves, you know ...like the Thai Mafia (RTP). We also punish corruption in the West, here the locals just get upset if don't get to enjoy the spoils too, there is nobody championing justice, there is no justice here.

On 10/2/2024 at 10:46 AM, impulse said:

I've seen some of the shops where they take a 50+ year old chassis and add a plywood shell with tinfoil skin to make it look newer.  I'm appalled at how flimsy the bodies are built.

You can put lipstick on a pig..........But it's still a pig.