Thailand’s Bold Move: Decriminalising Sex Work Sparks National Debate

snoop1130

37 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Very original joke.

Thats hilarious.

Good one.

Maybe the joke was not original. Maybe you didn´t like it or laughed at it. If you think it was a good one? All that is totally irrelevant.

What is relevant is that you took away the meaning, as so many times before, and made my reply fit your agenda. That was childish and totally unnecessary. Exactly like the response above, when you got the post you replied to explained to you. The most sad thing, is that am still not sure you understand. That´s a truly hurting thought.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Unfortunately even if it is decriminalized it will be a job probably reserved for Thais.

So sadly none of us on this forum will be able to get a job making love to sex tourists.

If you would dare to look in the mirror in front of you, you would know why! 🤦🏼‍♂️

Pimps are the biggest difference between many Western "liberal" countries,  where prostitution is "legal", and here. 

Here, any girl can follow her aunt's advice how to find customers, put her contacts in the relevant websites or walk the streets. The money is hers, not taken away by a pimp.

If she tried this in the West, she would be physically forced by the mafia to use a pimp. The pimps, of course,  are well connected in those "squeaky clean" Western countries. 

Prostitution here is a lot freer and safer for the girls than in the West.

• Like 1

I made a joke on the first post on this thread.

it was well received with 16 “laughs”. I got a few responses joking also.

All good fun.

But three posts down from my hilarious joke you got all weird with strange personal attack. Whatever. 

Now you are complaining I 

19 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

took away the meaning, as so many times before, and made my reply fit your agenda. That was childish and totally unnecessary. Exactly like the response above,

about your “joke” that got no laughs and was poorly received by others who also commented.
Pot, kettle, black.

You are obviously a bit odd and always looking for conflict so I have to ignore you from now on. 

Now get back to work, I think you have wasted enough time this morning. 

37 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Both.

And someone like you who spends most waking hours on this forum knows it.

I won't feed the troll more.

Who? Names?
They handle the constant criticism of Thais well if that is the case.

I never knew 

14 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yes, that is the right way to go. They need to protect them, or enforce the existing laws. There are no middle ways here. They have been neglected for far too long.

I see your point but there's that word again that causes a lot of the problems here. ENFORCE.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Who? Names?
They handle the constant criticism of Thais well if that is the case.

I never knew 

I don't tell you their names without their consent. 

And I doubt they would give it.

But it's not a secret at all, I think you know and you are just trolling.

13 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

I made a joke on the first post on this thread.

it was well received with 16 “laughs”. I got a few responses joking also.

All good fun.

But three posts down from my hilarious joke you got all weird with strange personal attack. Whatever. 

Now you are complaining I 

about your “joke” that got no laughs and was poorly received by others who also commented.
Pot, kettle, black.

You are obviously a bit odd and always looking for conflict so I have to ignore you from now on. 

Now get back to work, I think you have wasted enough time this morning. 

Please do ignore. I will not expect any more replies from you then.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Andycoops said:

Those pretending that it doesn't exist

Vietnam is also in the same way.

Whatever numbers of prostitute in their society, they are not supposed to exist in their statistics.

Exactly the same way former USSR publicized to the rest of the world during the Cold War era.

17 hours ago, Gobbler said:

Where are these "underground" businesses?

There are illegal drugs, human trafficking, trade in endangered species, human organs, antiquities, and stolen goods and an underground lottery for example.

The underground train doesn't count. :happy:

5 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

I have a thousand bottles of lube at my place to get through.

Lube lasts a long time.

i purchased a 20lt drum from aleixpress 4 years ago and it's still about half full.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Kiwiken said:

In New Zealand it is only legal for New Zealand Citizens to work in the profession. Foreigners entering the Trade do so illegally. I would hope Thailand would enact similar laws and make the age of 18 as minimum

Why would you want to have the minimum age of 20 to work in a bar be lowered?!

21 hours ago, Watawattana said:

No matter what happens, the sex industry will continue.  Legal, decriminalised or illegal.  For me, I'd have thought the Government might like the extra tax revenue.

my thoughts as well Tax revenue seems to be the govts new goal

2 hours ago, jts-khorat said:

Why would you want to have the minimum age of 20 to work in a bar be lowered?!

In NZ the brothels are full of Thais and chinese and other Asians once the get residence they are legal  but you think they declare their true earnings, many work out of private houses

On 10/2/2024 at 6:37 PM, snoop1130 said:

Walking_street,pattaya,THAILAND_-_panoramio.jpg

Thailand's Prime Minister, Paetongtarn Shinawatra, is causing a stir with a proposal to develop an entertainment complex that would bring underground businesses, including sex work, into the formal economy. This initiative aims to boost government revenue through taxation, funding crucial welfare programmes in education, public health, and infrastructure.

Surang Janyam, director of SWING, an organisation advocating for sex workers' rights, underscores the importance of decriminalising sex work. "During Covid, many sex workers were left without compensation or welfare. Over 50% of the 500 sex workers we spoke to expressed a desire to be part of the labour system and pay taxes."

Brothel owners also support the plan, citing protection from extortion and illicit payments as key benefits. In Pattaya, focus groups revealed unanimous backing for the proposal, with local businesses ready to comply with taxation for legal protections.

However, Surang clarifies that the goal is decriminalisation, not legalisation, aiming to abolish laws criminalising the profession. Critics fear potential increases in child exploitation and trafficking. Surang counters that existing laws can address these issues and stresses that participation should be voluntary, allowing freelance workers to operate as small business owners.

Public perception remains a major obstacle, with moralistic debates often overshadowing economic arguments. Surang argues that economic realities should take precedence over subjective morality. "People need jobs and income. Morality is just an excuse to avoid tackling the real problem," she concludes.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-02

news-footer-2.png

image.png

All these changes to reduce their illicit money flows will make the corrupt really worry - first cannabis, now the sex trade.  There will be pushback by the corrupt.

On 10/2/2024 at 1:30 PM, Watawattana said:

Dang, and I was going to apply.

Not sure I could live on a weekly income of 101 Baht though.  Who would give me that odd 1 Baht?  All of them!

Pay with a QR code,

😂😂😂🚀🚀🐘