Vehicle Inspector Reassigned Amid Deadly School Bus Fire Probe

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

On October 2, 2024, Jirut Wisaljitr, Director-General of the Department of Land Transport, announced an investigation following a tragic school bus fire.

The bus, carrying students from Wat Khao Phrayasangkaram School in Uthai Thani for a field trip, caught fire near the Anusorn Monument interchange in Pathum Thani, resulting in multiple injuries and fatalities.

Suriya Juangroongruangkit, Minister of Transport, and Surapong Piyachote, Deputy Minister of Transport, ordered an immediate investigation to ensure stricter safety measures and prevent similar incidents.

In response, the Department of Land Transport has established a fact-finding committee. Two senior officials from the Sing Buri Provincial Transport Office, including the head of vehicle inspection, were reassigned to assist in the investigation. If any wrongdoing is discovered, the Department has pledged to enforce the highest level of disciplinary action.

This swift response aims to uphold safety standards and prevent future accidents.

Picture courtesy: Siam Rath

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-03

news-footer-2.png

image.png

There are safety standards in Thailand?  I am completely flabbergasted.

6 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

As much as I would like to believe this to be true. This is Thailand and they NEVER follow through with these types of comments. Blowing hot air to ensure a sense of trust that you can put your kid on a school bus and feel safe that is has been inspected and operates properly and that the driver has been checked and is licensed and safe. 

I think every foreigner knows this if they have lived in Thailand long enough. 

But, but.....they have formed a committee.😋

7 hours ago, webfact said:

If any wrongdoing is discovered, the Department has pledged to enforce the highest level of disciplinary action.

...and that's where the whole thing collapses and all hope is lost.

THat's NOT what they should be doing - the blame game is an idiots way - the problem is systemic and institutionalised - what needs to be done is the total reformation of the system that allows dangerous vehicles on the roads - this is not an isolated event it is the product of decades of negligence as regards to road safety.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fire the minister and all those directors immediately - for life. The vehicle inspector on that bus to be locked up in jail for negligent manslaughter in 23 cases which will park him indefinitely on state's luncheons and will send a strong signal to all those other goons and clowns poking noses and scratching backsides in all their ever-so-important vehicle inspection offices. What a hopeless mess, seriously ....... 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

so they test and you collect tax disc on  the same visit, where did you have this done, DLT or roadside test centre

Testing centre , then they give you your book etc back , then drive to the DLT , present docs. etc pay your money and get your Tax disc .

About an hour all in.

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Anybody have info on the bus company? I wonder how many more of them death traps they have, 

Liverpool Lou said in another thread it's a "presumably reputable company".

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

His first question should be "what was a 54 year old bus still doing on the road" ??

In fairness, most Bangkok buses are about that age.

Although from the plumes of black smoke billowing out behind them it is safe to assume they are Diesel.

Given the potential for graft in such a project, I'm surprised they haven't replaced them all with Chinese electric ones. 

image.png.4f0abff4727b9a561f364af8a6b643b1.png

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

In fairness, most Bangkok buses are about that age.

Although from the plumes of black smoke billowing out behind them it is safe to assume they are Diesel.

Given the potential for graft in such a project, I'm surprised they haven't replaced them all with Chinese electric ones. 

image.png.4f0abff4727b9a561f364af8a6b643b1.png

They did buy about 300 I think......they might still be sat in Singapore,  someone tried to claim they were Thai made to avoid tax......then they established they were made in China.......and it just dragged for so long they've been forgotten about.......I think!!!!

Just now, Will B Good said:

They did buy about 300 I think......they might still be sat in Singapore,  someone tried to claim they were Thai made to avoid tax......then they established they were made in China.......and it just dragged for so long they've been forgotten about.......I think!!!!

With the Shins back in power, I wouldn't be surprised to see the project relaunched.

Lots of money to be made, and if any questions are asked, removing these "old dangerous" buses could be given as justification. 

• Agree 1