Bus Companies Lament Over Suspension of School Field Trips

webfact

6 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

What does it take for you to wake up. More dead people, more children burnt to death?

This is the right approach as they will find many faulty buses during inspection, and as I understand the cancellation on school trips will be during the 2 month they have as time to check the total fleet of buses. To even dare to make such comment as you did, shows your lack of empathy and understanding of the situation.

Don’t other customer lives matter too? Yes, another big time gov over reaction from lax enforcement of regulations to let’s shut down only those who died population 

and watch…back to business as usual in a month or two when emotions die down…do nothing gov at work….always reactive never proactive 

• Like 1

The owner of the bus company was released whilst the driver remains in custody.

Which one has the most money.....any bets?

The owner of the bus that caught fire in Pathum Thani has been charged with negligent homicide due to actions contributing to the deaths of others. Additional charges are anticipated, but police from Khu Khot Station have yet to provide specific details.

Yesterday, police interrogated two engineers from the Sing Buri Provincial Transport Office for six hours. This included the chief of the vehicle inspection unit, a qualified vehicle inspection engineer, and another experienced engineer. The bus is registered in Sing Buri.

As the engineers exited the interrogation room, reporters attempted to inquire about the vehicle inspection of the burned bus; however, both declined to comment, expressing their regrets over the incident before quickly leaving.

Panisara (surname withheld), the bus owner, was interrogated for four hours before charges were filed. The owner acknowledged the charges and was subsequently released, while investigations into other potential charges remain ongoing.

The 48-year-old driver, who initially fled to Ang Thong, has since surrendered to authorities. Samarn (surname withheld) faces charges of reckless driving resulting in death or injury, failing to provide assistance after the incident, failing to report the incident, and fleeing the scene. He remains in custody as his bail request was denied.

https://x.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1842098709909410157

24 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

Don’t other customer lives matter too?

What do you mean? I thought that was include in: More dead people

Something that stands in the text you quoted.

13 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Weather we like it or not, diesel vehicles are less likely to catch fire than gas, petrol and electric vehicles...:whistling:

Agree but as a result of the governments actions these too are part of the no school trips allowed. I might be wrong but doesn't the government directive mean all buses not just the LNG gas ones? If so are they going to carry out inspections on all buses? The answer to this is no. As it stands >200 LNG fueled buses need to be checked daily for the nxt 60 days. Will they also check brakes, steering, tires etc. of these buses? Fair chance as I'm typing this some of the dodgy LNG converted buses are rather rapidly being converted back.

12 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Reduced demand should allow them to scrap the older vehicles?

They must be sick in the head to think that they do not need to comply with safety rules, no respect for children's lives is a disgrace, step up the safety inspections, and where are the log books promised about 2 years ago, drivers can drive for hours smoke and drink energy drinks to stay awake ,it is a disgrace.

13 hours ago, Artisi said:

And if they did nothing you would still complain. 

A bit of a flawed argument because its binary...  there are plenty of companies out there that strictly adhere to safety regulations.... 

... The knee jerk reaction to shut them all down because of the lowest common denominator is outrageously lazy.

Example at hand: and I've mentioned this in numerous threads on this subject already. 

When my son has been on field trips - I email the school and request detail of their safety measures, the transport options and their safety measures....  (my son has attended good schools and the the outsourcing of transport has been with good companies).

For example: Montri (bus company) - who responded directly to my requests for information and highlighted that their buses are diesel and have 3 point seat-belts (along with lots of other information)... 

The only negative was their approach to DUI - when they said they breathalyse their drivers every morning before work and if they are over the limit the driver is suspended for the day (this shocked me, but is also a perfect example of 'Thainess in one neat repeatable bundle' !!!)... 

So...  there is no need to stop ALL busses - but a way must be found to allow for rapid inspection of buses or make schools also accountable - I think the major international schools have their own QAQC teams for such circumstances anyway.

Of course, not all schools have the resources and its always the 'poorer' who face the consequences - nevertheless...   A ban immediate ban on busses using CNG is a no-brainer...  and the rest should be given MOT equivalent checks each year... (how they'll circumnavigate systemic corruption is a different ball game - which is why making schools accountable for their own QAQC is perhaps the way forwards)..... 

... make the school directors accountable - I'm sure they ensure transport is safe.... but the concern would naturally be they become scared of their own shadow and prevent all field trips - its somewhat of a vicious circle - but a binary approach would be lazy and flawed IMO.

Edited by richard_smith237

12 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

What does it take for you to wake up. More dead people, more children burnt to death?

This is the right approach as they will find many faulty buses during inspection, and as I understand the cancellation on school trips will be during the 2 month they have as time to check the total fleet of buses. To even dare to make such comment as you did, shows your lack of empathy and understanding of the situation.

I normally don't agree to anything you say, but in this case, you are absolutely correct.  

12 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I agree in principle... But in practicality...   at which stage do you think things get rushed...  and the wrinkles smoothed over with a back-hander ?

Should 50 year old chassis be permitted at all... ? should public vehicles not have an age limit ? (will that be masked)...

Ultimately - Kwilco's response below pretty much covers it...  

But I'd add - no CNG pubic vehicles at all - and concentrate on ensuring the diesel ones are safe. 

Corruption is the real enemy - to many facets of safety in Thailand, it always has been.

6 hours ago, kwilco said:

Every bus needs to be re-tested before it's allowed back on te raod - it will take time - but banning school trips per se is not the answer.

THe secondary problem is the corruption involved in testing the vehicles - this has been in place for decades.

26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I agree in principle... But in practicality...   at which stage do you think things get rushed...  and the wrinkles smoothed over with a back-hander ?

Should 50 year old chassis be permitted at all... ? should public vehicles not have an age limit ? (will that be masked)...

But I'd add - no CNG pubic vehicles at all - and concentrate on ensuring the diesel ones are safe. 

Corruption is the real enemy - to many facets of safety in Thailand, it always has been.

Really think you guys have not been in Thailand all that long, What you are saying is would apply to western culture, In Thailand its a culture of corruption,apathy this is a 3rd world country which all it cares about is money and saving face so all this safety protocols inspection of vehicle is all for saving face and for the government to look good nothing is really going to happen  No laws are going to be changed or introduced so you are dreaming if you think this is going to effect anything forgotten in a few days take the  tak bai incident taken 20yrs to get this far look at red bull !! Think also you need to look up the definition QAQC  Its Not Applicable, it is  Occupational safety and health that is required

Edited by MikeandDow

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Imagine the bus companies spending the money on brakes, efficient diesel engines, secure chassis, seatbelts and things that matter.... 

.... instead of garish paint-jobs, ridiculous mirrors and overloaded speakers and karaoke systems... 

I think imagine is what most foreigners did when they decided to move to Thailand.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yeah, regarding the 54 years, I have already posted about that in an earlier post in the thread about the age. There I posted a normal life span of a bus is about 12-15 years or 250-300k miles. It can be considered to work 20 years more with a full renovation, engine change and new body, but that is almost like a new bus. Also that would be a maximum of 35 year and not over 50. 

I also agree with only diesel and no CNG. The corruption we al know about, where I also in a bus accident thread I posted about paying for passing inspection before they had it in the news today. It´s all wayward and backwards.