Huge markup on imported foods. Why?

giddyup

7 minutes ago, itsari said:

The best quality beef from Australia is exported.

Most comes from the Top End. It's good beef, but can't match the meat in Gippsland, which we keep for ourselves.

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

Yeah, well, the Israelis already sorted them out I believe. But is all freight being diverted via the Cape? I very much doubt it. Hey, Houthis, leave my cheese alone!

Mainland Tasty or Vintage cheese comes from the other direction.

Unless you are talking about Stiltons and Bries.

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

Might do, but It will still not be very relevant, right? But, I know. It was the worst stock photo I could find. 😉 

Stock?

Maybe you're more of a image.jpeg.75b29cda7ce93f003a296dbcc5772d61.jpeg man?

8 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

The only people who want Vegemite are Australians and so they have to import in relatively low quantities and this pushes the price up. 

Not true… I’m a Brit and prefer Vegemite to Marmite. It’s just a question of taste… 🙏🏻

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, AjarnMartin said:

Not true… I’m a Brit and prefer Vegemite to Marmite. It’s just a question of taste… 🙏🏻

Must be expensive in the UK as surely there can not be much of a market there as Australians have no desire to  be resident there amongst such complaining individuals.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Actually, there is an Australian cuisine - pavlovas,

from New Zealand 

lamingtons

a sponge cake with chocolate and coconut. Boring and only invented because an Englishman was visiting 

, vanilla slices and real beef pies.

we invented pies, another copy, and with all the offal and off cuts you could not sell mixed with gravy, another Brit invention.

We keep the best for ourselves. You've probably never tasted garlic yabbies either.

No, I wouldn’t want liver fluke.

16 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

from New Zealand 

a sponge cake with chocolate and coconut. Boring and only invented because an Englishman was visiting 

we invented pies, another copy, and with all the offal and off cuts you could not sell mixed with gravy, another Brit invention.

No, I wouldn’t want liver fluke.

Englishmen visit everywhere, to get away from their miserable climate. Sometimes they stay, then spend the rest of their lives whinging about how things are so much better in the Old Dart.

Yabbies don't get liver fluke. While they do have livers, they are vegetarians, and are not suitable as a host.

• Agree 2

34 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Stock?

Maybe you're more of a image.jpeg.75b29cda7ce93f003a296dbcc5772d61.jpeg man?

Ok, sorry to break it to you, but they have websites online with a lot of images and photos they call stock photo directories, after the name of a well known site in that genre. I guess you just showed you didn´t have a clue.

Isnt that what the debate has been for years especially with China, Thailand is no different " Free Trade "  problem it isnt free nor fair is it.

Import Duty what 30-40% ? 

It is a no brainer they want yo to buy local item if same price as Thai the choice is clear even for Thais.

Living here you pick and choose what to give up for me chip, ice cream LOL, local once I saw a sale on Kettle Chips 175 baht reg, sale 119 baht I broke the bank book :cheesy:

home open it was near all crumbs as if someone intentionally smash the bag then it was stale.

Once saw fruit stand Big C extra, basket of Cherries imported from USA, 3500 baht a week later :cheesy:

You want to bypass, need to open a factory just ask Toyota , its not just vegemit ask those wine lovers.

3 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Ok, I am in Phuket.

we have British, Italian, Japanese, German, Russian, Italian, Korean, French, Turkish, Arabian, Swedish, American, Brazilian, Indian, Thai, Malaysian and Vietnamese restaurants.

If Australian food was not terrible how come there is not a single Australian restaurant here, or any where else in Thailand or probably the world? 

I will tell you why.

Because it is krap.Bogan food.

Well, there is at least one Australian restaurant I know of. In Jomtien, called Tinnies. Good restaurant. There may be others.

8 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

I only have to look in the local Lotus to see how this practice often doesn't work out too well.   A good example being foreign butter.  different brands appear regularly  often priced at around 185-200 baht for a 250g pack.

It generally remains on the shelves untouched , often for months, then as it approaches the best before date the price is reduced rapidly.

It invariably ends up at around 90 baht which is a similar price to the totally revolting local "allowrie" offering,   I often wonder how they sell any of that "allowrie"  stuff at all

Thing you'll find Allowrie is an Auzzie product.

Spotted this in my BigC local and the main stores.

This is the 450g size HP, so good price as the small bottles are upwards of B200 in expat shops, never seen Colmans Mustard B99 for a long time, the chocs good price as wellWhatsAppImage2024-10-04at17_22.21_548eda6b.thumb.jpg.a7b08f04cba68f0adba758d7d4f509a2.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-10-04 at 17.22.05_114eee5f.jpg

15 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

🤣 Let´s just say, like this. Your J with purple background just ooze honesty 😉

My honesty is my honour Sir

With our integrity you have nothing.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Ok, sorry to break it to you, but they have websites online with a lot of images and photos they call stock photo directories, after the name of a well known site in that genre. I guess you just showed you didn´t have a clue.

TGIF

By the way, what happened to Maxwell House Coffee ? Haven't seen it around for decades!  That US coffee in the red jar. Not really a favorite of mine, but...

8 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

That's a tax on hazardous substances, collected to fund your local poison control center.

20 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

That's a tax on hazardous substances, collected to fund your local poison control center.

Just proves Australians have good immune systems.

32 minutes ago, itsari said:

My honesty is my honour Sir

With our integrity you have nothing.

May I refer to the honesty portraying from Sweden regarding there neutrality in Europe's hour of need.

Nothing to be believed in.