Huge markup on imported foods. Why?

giddyup

On 10/5/2024 at 1:52 PM, NoshowJones said:

We know about the taxes and shipping costs, but I think we should all just admit it, the main reason is just pure greed.

ie Lazada can sell a tin of corned beef for about 190Bt, that same sized tin though a different brand in Villa Market sells for 400Bt, not much different in the taste but as I have said, just pure greed.

link please to 190thb corned beef 

On 10/4/2024 at 7:49 AM, giddyup said:

My gripe for today.

I understand there are shipping costs and tax, but how does a A$4.20 jar of vegemite cost nearly $12 (260 baht) in Thailand? If Australia imposed those kind of markups on Thai products I doubt they'd be able to sell a kilo of rice.

Take more healthy fresh products from Thailand instead. Even your stuff would cost only1 Baht I would not buy that <deleted>e.

On 10/5/2024 at 1:58 PM, Lacessit said:

Can't say I have noticed, I tend to focus on the cheeses I regard as good value and taste.

MAKRO probably has some blue cheeses, I don't think Stilton is among them.

This is a real cheese shop, in St.Andrews, Scotland. You know, the place where golf started.

cheeseinscotland.jpg

Mellis is awesome as is George Mewes.  Wonderful wonderful shops.  Have tried both in Glasgow & Edinburgh.  A visit to paradise.  Keep sending messages asking if they'll open shops in Chiang Mai.  Doubt it will ever happen.

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

I lol at everyone who seems to think that shipping "foreign foods" from (the UK, America, Europe or even Australia) is "free" and that Thailand wouldn't have any Import Duties and Tariffs on it.

Of course it's going to be more expensive ! Just like buying authentic "Thai" or other "foreign" foods would be back in your home countries.

If it's such a burden for you, simply send some money to family/friends "back home", have them run around and do some shopping for you and then mail it to you (don't use a courier like FedEx or DHL though).

Make sure you track what the item(s) cost "back home", add the postage/shipping fees and hope it slips past Customs without them tacking on (I think it's about 20%).

I recently ordered some very hot sauce from Amazon. Paid about $112.
Paid through the nose for shipping because it was shipped via FedEx (not by choice).

Paid through the nose again because FedEx was playing stupid games to add more fees to the invoice.

The actual Customs Duties and Fees on the order came out to almost bang on 20%.

So imagine a shop doing the same thing. Right off the bat they'd literally have to double the price of that sauce to pay for it, the shipping and Duties.

PLUS add on their own mark-up to pay for the shop's expenses and labour.

And maybe, if they're lucky, they'll be able to make a small profit.

While listening to everyone whine about why it costs so much more here than "back home".

For hot sauce easy to make your own to your own tastes.  No need to buy.

My gripe for today.

I understand there are shipping costs and tax, but how does a A$4.20 jar of vegemite cost nearly $12 (260 baht) in Thailand? If Australia imposed those kind of markups on Thai products I doubt they'd be able to sell a kilo of rice.

How many people in Thailand eat Vegemite ??????

My gripe for today.

I understand there are shipping costs and tax, but how does a A$4.20 jar of vegemite cost nearly $12 (260 baht) in Thailand? 

Are you sure it still $4.20 in Australia? I was going back to Aus every 3 months in last 2 years and prices were regularly 5-10% higher each time I came back. I used to always buy the 4 pack of four'n twenty pies for $6, when I was last there in April they were $12

And only today I found in my news feed that Aussies are outraged that a single pie is now $10.90

Screenshot_20241007_113928_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Are you sure it still $4.20 in Australia? I was going back to Aus every 3 months in last 2 years and prices were regularly 5-10% higher each time I came back. I used to always buy the 4 pack of four'n twenty pies for $6, when I was last there in April they were $12

And only today I found in my news feed that Aussies are outraged that a single pie is now $10.90

https://www.coles.com.au/product/vegemite-spread-220g-6032906 Now $5, not $4.20

Edited by giddyup

11 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Well $5 In Australia and 199 baht at Villa Market, seems pretty reasonable to me

Screenshot_20241007_131136_Samsung Internet.jpg

I agree that's a fair price, but I never go to Villa and all the prices I've seen are 250 baht and up.

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

Yes.... Last time I was in NZ I went to a local bakery (I try and support local businesses where I can). 

The pies looked ok but no prices were shown.  Can't be too expensive I thought.  WRONG! 

$11.50 and the quality was poor.  Really dry pastry and bland filling.  I later found the price list on a sign attached to the entrance door! 

I'll never go there again. If they want the customers they need to provide top quality products and service for those prices. 

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I agree that's a fair price, but I never go to Villa and all the prices I've seen are 250 baht and up.

So problem solved, go to Villa for 199 baht Vegemite. You can even pick up a treat while there 😀

Screenshot_20241007_133418.jpg

Edited by Pattaya57

On 10/4/2024 at 11:46 AM, Celsius said:

Funny. I start a thread asking if Thailand is good value for money and get attacked by bootlickers.

Yet.....

Another day another whinge about prices, pensions, dual pricing, imported foods, TAT, road accidents, expensive hospital bills, national parks, bar fines.... 

I think most of you have been here so long, you forgot how well stocked grocery stores are back home. And cheap. Healthy, yummy food at good prices. I know, because I go back every year. But most of you choose to watch YouTube for news just like losers back home who think you can live in Thailand on $1000 a month.

I am in Sydney at the moment and yes the grocery stores are well stocked but whilst there is plenty of healthy yummy food it is far from cheap the prices are eye watering. 

On top of that Utility costs, transport,especially taxis, government charges and don't even contemplate a Thai massage. 

To be fair wine is considerably cheaper than Thailand and today I bought a Braun shaver today at a 45 percent discount. 

Glad to be going home to Thailand. 

PS I don't live on a Aus government pension. 

On 10/6/2024 at 5:22 PM, NowNow said:

That's not a fact, it's just something that you just made up and hope people are too stupid or simply don't care enough to correct your fallacies.

I'm glad that you asked me about COLES, as I posted it to try to stop you making a fool of yourself.

There was good reason why I posted that.

spacer.png

It not only states that it is Australian butter, but it has an extra badge stating Product of Australia. Ingredients are Australian cream, water and salt. 

Now look at the picture that you posted. Nowhere does it state that it is Australian. I mean nowhere. The ONLY connection to Australia is that historical brand name. Is it beginning to sink in as of yet?

There is likely no Australian connection, ingredients nor influence to that product al all, other than KCG having acquired the right to use the brand name. 

No point in trying to debate with a narcissistic idealogue, they will never admit when they're wrong. Just look at KCG website and all is revealed.......nuff said.

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Greens in CM have kippers 260bht for 170g.

As for butter, Teapot 50% butter blend (YoK) is good enough for me @100bht for 500g. 

CM is a bit far to travel for kippers, however Siamsburys in Pattaya have smoked herring 89baht a pair.....delish. Don't tell NowNow about the butter he'll probably tell you it's made in Timbuktoo

• Haha 1

Inflammatory posts and the replies contravening our Forum Rules have been removed:

8. You will not post vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9. You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages. You will respect other members and post in a civil manner. Personal attacks, insults or hate speech posted on the forum or sent by private message are not allowed.