Minister Pushes for Bangkok F1 Race Plan with 2024 Deadline

webfact

2 hours ago, mr_lob said:

This would be like a carrot to a donkey for the Red Bull escape artist...surely then the rozzers would haul him in, right? Right? 🐖✈️

Escape artist??😃😃

He just left the country with a lot of money. No artistry there. 

Just like that other "artist " ,who has since returned, and might have to do another runner. 

2 hours ago, hitext said:

How are the F1 drivers going to react when they see a 1982 Honda Wave coming the wrong way towards them...

...with Dad (no driving license) driving and a toddler standing in front of him, Mom (no helmet) sitting behind carrying a baby, 3 kids clinging on for dear life behind her, and several chickens in a basket out front? 

You exaggerate, surely!🛵

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, JesseHumphry said:

Why would they do that instead of using the Buriram Circuit? If it's good enough for MotoGP surely it's good enough for F1. 

It would cost far less and would be less of a hassle to deal with. The propensity of the FIA and Liberty Media to opt for street circuits is quite frankly insane. Dedicated circuits are how you get the cars to come alive. This isn't just a bad idea for Thailand, it's a bad idea for the sport in general. Sure, Albon gets a home race, but again, you have Buriram and it's a solid track. 

But then no one would get paid for "Ongoing feasibility studies"................:whistling:

There are so many city street circuits already. I'd love to see them do a run from somewhere in Chiangmai province over the winding roads to Maehongson. The road conditions may be less than desirable, but that'd make it that much more interesting! Or maybe a motorcycle race would be amazing to see there. It would be a long course to control, but I can't imagine it would be any more expensive to organize than a race through Bangkok streets.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, JesseHumphry said:

Why would they do that instead of using the Buriram Circuit? If it's good enough for MotoGP surely it's good enough for F1. 

It would cost far less and would be less of a hassle to deal with. The propensity of the FIA and Liberty Media to opt for street circuits is quite frankly insane. Dedicated circuits are how you get the cars to come alive. This isn't just a bad idea for Thailand, it's a bad idea for the sport in general. Sure, Albon gets a home race, but again, you have Buriram and it's a solid track. 

Exactly… something stinks!

"Thailand's Tourism and Sports Minister Sorawong Thienthong is pursuing an ambitious plan to host a Formula 1 (F1) street race in Bangkok."

Out of "Rush Hour" tailbacks, does that not happen on Bangkok's streets/roads/tollways every day anyway?

It’s typical Thailand looking at the bottom line of how  much money can be made and wondering how much they can scam off. They need to consider the initial infrastructure outlay before F1 will even consider placing a venue on the shortlist and then that the average F1 return on

investment is 9 years before any profits can be made. 

sorry Somchai this isn’t the get rich scheme for you. 

Motor racing is popular in Thailand and a GP here would attract  great support. The problem, though, is both the cost of  setting up such an event. and  the  tough rules and regulations which have to be applied. A street circuit would help to reduce the cost issue, but it would mean chaos for at least a month in the pre and post work, and F1 really doesn't need  another street circuit. Buri Ram is a conventional circuit, and just about works for Moto GP, but it would need a huge amount of upgrading to qualify for F1. All in all a nice idea but not practical in my opinion.

4 hours ago, JesseHumphry said:

The concept or Buriram is great, stadium and track, but the hotels can’t accommodate all visiting fans for domestic football games, even the finest hotel in the city probably wouldn’t meet the expected standards. 

I know nothing of GP but I gather the circuit is fine for bikes but not much else. 

• Like 1

The idea of a Bangkok GP has been touted since 1934, by Prince Bira - there is already drawings for the circuit. I think last time the idea was promoted in 2015, the opposition from environmental groups forced legislation to prevent it happening. I was looking for the link which I’m sure was in BP, so couldn’t be posted here. But there is a proper law preventing a Grand Prix event in BKK. 

Edited by recom273

It’s Formula 1 every night in Thailand !!
Fix the roads and bring safety to Thailand would be worth a trophy !
Maybe they could reduce the 20 000 + people who die on Thai roads, instead of thinking up Pie in the sky projects.