Thai woman suffers broken legs in hit-and-run on zebra crossing - video

COVER-PIC-2024-10-04T152418.png

A Thai woman is seeking justice after a hit-and-run on a zebra crossing in the central province of Pathum Thani on October 1 left her with two broken legs.

The victim, 50 year old Rattana, took to social media to search for the pickup driver who crashed into her at around 5am on October 1. Rattana shared CCTV footage of the incident with the public and urged anyone with useful information to contact her.

In the video, Rattana is seen standing in the middle of a zebra crossing, waiting to cross to the other side. She stood on the road where many vehicles passed by at high speed, as there was no traffic island.

Suddenly, a black pickup truck hit her, causing her to collapse to the ground. The driver did not stop to check on her and did not even slow down.

Channel 7 reported that a motorcycle taxi rider, Sutirat, spotted Rattana lying in the middle of the road and called a rescue team to the scene. Sutirat said he and other taxi riders tried to identify the pickup’s registration number but failed.

Sutirat added that another victim, a 90 year old, was previously hit by a car at the same spot, as most motorists drive at very high speeds on this road.

Rattana was admitted to Pathumvech Hospital. Both her legs were broken, and her left arm was swollen. She shared that she would be unable to walk for many months and could not go to work, resulting in a loss of income. She has two sons to care for and wants the pickup driver to take responsibility for his actions.

According to Rattana, she filed a complaint with officers at Khlong Luang Police Station and hopes the police will bring the pickup driver to justice as soon as possible.

By Petch Petpailin

Photo via Facebook/ ปทุมธานี นิวส์ Pathum Thani News

Source: The Thaiger

-- 2024-10-04

news-footer-2.png

image.png

• Sad 2

Was she suicidal ???

I know thats a pedestrian crossing and cars 'should' stop... but she seemed to make no effort whatsoever to cross the road with any degree of common sense or safety whatsoever... 

Also, the design of the crossing is awful... on a road that wide there surely has to be a 'central island' which protects the pedestrian... 

Absolutely despicable (just watched the video)

She is standing there as they drive past of both sides.

It's painted red, no less, after the famous case of the doctor being killed. How many countries even need them to be painted red??! Probably only Thailand. 

Then, she gets hit.

Beneath contempt. 

And it isn't just one to two rogue drivers: it's EVERYONE!!

Edited by FruitPudding

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Was she suicidal ???

I know thats a pedestrian crossing and cars 'should' stop... but she seemed to make no effort whatsoever to cross the road with any degree of common sense or safety whatsoever... 

Well, she was clearly being cautious; she didn't just march across. 

What more could she have done?

7 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Well, she was clearly being cautious; she didn't just march across. 

What more could she have done?

I'm not sure really......   there are many hazardous crossings in Thailand. 

Being 'stuck' in the middle is definitely a 'no-no' for me...    waiting for the whole road to be clear is the obvious answer and I've had to do that in the past.

It does surprise me how many people cross the road (without a crossing island) in two goes... i.e. cross to half way, then stop and wait for a gap in the traffic comming from the other direction...  it just seems so lethal...

With regards to being cautious - I'm not sure she was, being 'stuck' in the centre like that her eyes 'should' have been on stalks but it would appear that once she was half way across she was only interested in the traffic coming towards her from the direction she wanted to cross. 

Of course, the black pickup is 100% at fault - the driver should never be hitting a 'stationary anything'....   the driver had clearly drifted out of their lane...   

But - I think this is a perfect example of 'what not to do when crossing a wide road in Thailand'....

I hope they find the driver and his insurance compensates the lady for her loss of income while she recovers.