Bringing Meat/Cheese into Thailand

BrianStar

I've read many forums stating that you can't bring food into Thailand. It's obvious that you need a permit for commercial purposes, but I think I've verified that you can bring some personal food items which are restricted:

Customs states here that food is restricted:

https://www.customs.go.th/cont_strc_simple.php?ini_content=individual_160426_01&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_03_01

And then it references that the issuing authority is the FDA @ www.fda.moph.go.th

The FDA has limited quantities permitted for import for personal use:

https://en.fda.moph.go.th/guideline-of-importation-for-personal-use/bringing-of-health-products-into-the-kingdom-of-thailand-01

Is there any other agencies to worry about or does this verify that we are allowed to bring limited amounts of these items when traveling to Thailand?

Edited by BrianStar
found more information

I brought cheese many times, up to 5-7kg, never had any issues. Coming back after a month and will load cheese again.

Don't bring pork products, the penalties are up to 200k baht fine and/or 2 years jail. At least it was like this 2 years ago.

32 minutes ago, gearbox said:

I brought cheese many times, up to 5-7kg, never had any issues. Coming back after a month and will load cheese again.

Don't bring pork products, the penalties are up to 200k baht fine and/or 2 years jail. At least it was like this 2 years ago.

Yes, I did read about the controls on pork due to illness outbreaks and pork is easy to obtain in Thailand so I don't know why anyone would bother to bring it. I plan to bring USA beef ribeye along with cheese.

24 minutes ago, BrianStar said:

Yes, I did read about the controls on pork due to illness outbreaks and pork is easy to obtain in Thailand so I don't know why anyone would bother to bring it. I plan to bring USA beef ribeye along with cheese.

Spoken like a man who hasn't watched any of the Customs series. 

One word: One word only Vasily - 

Chinese

image.thumb.png.4ba3060d00ddf443fb4f7c6a08b2d18b.png

53 minutes ago, BrianStar said:

Pork meat is easy to obtain but a few kilos of Serrano ham here are worth almost as one way ticket to Europe.

6 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Pork meat is easy to obtain but a few kilos of Serrano ham here are worth almost as one way ticket to Europe.

I like to make everything myself. Smoking a ham is also on my list of abilities. Thailand has even encouraged me to get into cheese making but since aging cheese takes months, I need an initial supply to start my annual stay. It is possible to find good Ribeye but the price is high, they're often out of stock AND the quality is lower. My girlfriend does raise buffalo so maybe I can convince her to give me a calf and I'll feed it the corn it needs to be delicious! But otherwise, I can bring about 90 kg of stuff every year with 3 bags so I might as well take advantage of it. The plan is to build foam insulated boxes and keep each bag within the limit as listed by the FDA.