Parents Demand 1.21M Baht Compensation for Children They Didn’t Raise

webfact

6 minutes ago, retarius said:

It's a cultural thing. Parents don't like bringing up kids so foist them on grandparents, on aunts, uncles, or anyone who happens to turn up at the door. But the parents do like money. I suppose the fabulous courts will tell us which part of the culture i.e. raising kids or loving money is most important. 

That may be true in some cases, but it is not cultural.

Necessity plays a large part - especially in rural areas.

Parents cannot find work near the family home so move away to work elsewhere.

But, they do send money home when they can.

Samui is full of mainland folk sending money back to their families.

This is repeated all over Thailand.

• Agree 2

Just now, Tropicalevo said:

That may be true in some cases, but it is not cultural.

Necessity plays a large part - especially in rural areas.

Parents cannot find work near the family home so move away to work elsewhere.

But, they do send money home when they can.

Samui is full of mainland folk sending money back to their families.

This is repeated all over Thailand.

When I moved for work I took my kids with me. No reason a kid can't be brought up where the work is. I'm getting sick of these excuses for immoral acts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Out of the woodwork they come.

Everyone wants to get rich quick why should we be surprised we see it every where else in the world as well.

Suddenly Somchai is not the burden mom thaught he was and dad who hasnothing to do with him since birth and probably denied him as a child is looking for money.  

hle I agree that there has to be some sort of pemna;lty punishment I think the governemtn making these hand outs is sending the wrong message.  All they are going to do is increase the level of people that abuse money and don't care about kids.

Help with counselling the families.  Put the money that will be wasted gvien to paretns into making the system better and creating a way to try to stop these indicents.

Set up a national system where buses and large trucks need to be checked and licened by teh government on a yearly basis with drivers keeping not only a log of their hours driving but also a log of all maintenance to vehicles and any issues on a trip. 

11 minutes ago, retarius said:

It's a cultural thing. Parents don't like bringing up kids so foist them on grandparents, on aunts, uncles, or anyone who happens to turn up at the door. But the parents do like money. I suppose the fabulous courts will tell us which part of the culture i.e. raising kids or loving money is most important. 

I see you have experience with the real life.

My mother in law have raised 3 kids of my father in law brothers and sister, and still do, because they working in Bangkok or Korea, supporting their parents and helping out in any way possible. That's the reality of being parents in Thailand, they can not manage to be parents and work full time unless you are above the middle class, and can hire nanny's. 

My wife brother in law, works in government and have free housing, cleaning and nanny, so for them they are able to live with their kids. My wife was their nanny until she met me.

Seems so many here have meet only the bad apples while staying in Thailand referred to the replies here.

Values explained, as if any financial compensation would have a positive effect on this terrible disaster. 

I would sue the bus owner(s), DLT staff issuing the roadworthiness, the garage which did the conversion as well as the regular maintenance (if any), the ministry as well as the minister of transport for manslaughter. You cannot even classify this as "involuntary" as every party involved knew about the risk and was purposely ignorant in applying the existing laws and regulations. Individual cross examinations at court, possibly on live TV, and that might (in capital letters again MIGHT) have an effect on future "dealings" with 54 years old busses with tens of millions of kilometres and all the side alterations to the vehicles. There are some 13,000 such busses out on the road (that's at least what I read) and this accident can happen before I've finished this comment. 

Will not happen, money talks and now at least I know, what Thais assume is the value of an innocent child on a school trip. In closing, fire the education minister as well as he had this splendid idea to solve the problem by prohibiting school excursions once and for good ......... while his own brother was transport minister from 2019 - 2023 😉   Your call! 

7 minutes ago, retarius said:

When I moved for work I took my kids with me. No reason a kid can't be brought up where the work is. I'm getting sick of these excuses for immoral acts.

Have you seen how working class living in Bangkok? Can you bring your children to Pattaya while working there in a restaurant 10 hours a day 6 days a week?

A shameless money grab, by people who didn't even raise their offspring.

It's shocking how many so-called parents here don't think they need to take care of their children, but then claim "I am the parent" and expect their kids to take care of them in old age or some other money-grabing BS.

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

If read all, you will find that I call on the faulty government and authorities as well.

Your constant Thai bashing coupled with your ignorance about life for the average Thai person is very tiresome.

Get off your high horse.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, retarius said:

So you are a Thai, working in Thailand?

Honest question, is there a D missing from your profile name?

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

If it's all about money, then the absent parents have lost their retirement plan, or they could have been paying the grandparents to look after the children.  If it's about emotional loss, why does that change just because they are working and don't have time to raise their children?

You said it. Their kids are their retirement plan. 

How about saving and investing for their own retirement?

How about working for a company that allows you to pay into the social security system so that you recieve a pension? As well as better healthcare.

These are also options. But they don't prioritize these things.

They prioritize life insurance above all other kinds of insurance.

When I lived in the village, they would laugh at me for buying health insurance for myself and my family. They all bought life insurance and they took policies out on their relatives even without their knowledge.

Sick and bizarre.

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

Set up a national system where buses and large trucks need to be checked and licened by teh government on a yearly basis with drivers keeping not only a log of their hours driving but also a log of all maintenance to vehicles and any issues on a trip. 

A great idea, unfortunately all of what you say is corruptible with a few Baht notes.

The Ministry of Education is the most corrupt ministry in the country. How is anyone going to believe they will distribute millions of baht fairly?

1 hour ago, MalcolmB said:

Your constant Thai bashing coupled with your ignorance about life for the average Thai person is very tiresome.

Get off your high horse.

I don´t know what you are talking about.

What Thai bashing?

Have I written something that is not true?

I also, only mentioned Thai in relation to laws as the specific incident mentioned regards Thailand. Otherwise my post is very objective and can relate to any country that battles with corruption.

If you are tired, I can´t care less about. Maybe you should consider following your own post and ignore, then. Or you can just leave it be and go on with your life, right?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, CallumWK said:

They are not neglecting their children, they are working for a living, some of them hundreds of km away from their home. Hence, have not the possibility to be with their children, and leave them in the care of family members.

It doesn't matter by which family member the child got raised, it was their child, and the child has now died because of the negligence of someone else. Of course, the parents should be compensated for their loss and grieves.

A good advice, is that you stop wasting time with compassion for nonsense.

They do not have to leave their children. They choose to leave their children!

Almost everywhere, there are possibilities to find daycare for children. It cost all between 3 000 - 5 000 baht per month. Shared by two parents, that is 2k baht per month. Then they can leave their children around 06-07 in the morning and get them around 16-17 in the late afternoon. That option exists both in many schools as well as in private care centers and private home centers.

You also post It doesn´t matter by which family member the child got raised.

Oh yes it does! Children are morally entitled to be raised by their biological father and mother, whenever possible. Children have the right to be raised by a mother and a father. Taking away that right, will go against the pure foundation and reason for having a child. Only looking at them as a possible bankbook when reaching old age. People should not make children, if they can not be there to care for them, more than sending money to somebody else who do the emotional care.

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Almost everywhere, there are possibilities to find daycare for children. It cost all between 3 000 - 5 000 baht per month. Shared by two parents, that is 2k baht per month. Then they can leave their chi

So how will a single mother, whose husband has passed away, pay 12,000 per month from her 12,000 per month salary.

How will that work?

Surely you can not be that stupid. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, retarius said:

'Parents don't like bringing up kids'

What utter drivel.

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

A great idea, unfortunately all of what you say is corruptible with a few Baht notes.

Agreed but it's better than what they don't have now.  Also you can make anyone signing off on inspection libel if found to have done brown envelopes.

Again not the best but

1 hour ago, MalcolmB said:

So how will a single mother, whose husband has passed away, pay 12,000 per month from her 12,000 per month salary.

How will that work?

Surely you can not be that stupid. 

My god! You are talking about stupid? Who should pay 12 000 per month on a 12 000 per month salary? Are you dreaming? where did you find that information?

I said a total price of in general of 4 000 baht. Are you calculating with 3 children?

I understand it can be hard with 4k as well, but there are cheaper options too. And, what we are talking about here, is only the first years, as they start school early in Thailand. In that case there are free schools, where you only have to pay like 600-900 baht per month for the children to stay longer and even get extra tutoring after school.

But, now I had enough conversation with you today. Have a great day, and take care.

4 hours ago, retarius said:

Yeah, take kids to building sites to live in corrugated shacks with the parents.

Or take them to the industrial estates in Chonburi and then pay for day care if they can find it, when the parents are working shifts. 

The kids are frequently better off at home in the villages with grandparents who are often only in their forties or fifties. 

• Thanks 1