10,543 people killed this year. 

80% of them motorcyclists  

Riding a motorcycle in Thailand?

What could possibly go wrong. 

Edited by Nemises
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, harryviking said:

Been on MC in Thailand many tears. No problems, but scary at times! I have 50 years on bikes, so I am well aware of ALMOST any situation that can occur! I guess one day I meet the one I did not see coming! Lol! Cross fingers! Or I retire from bikes before it happens....😆

5 hours ago, Nemises said:

Riding a motorcycle in Thailand?

What could possibly go wrong. 

A lot can go wrong. And many of us motorcycle riders expect the (in Thailand not so) unexpected.

I wonder how many motorcycle riders who ride sensible (the doesn't mean slow) die in accidents.

Of course it can happen to anybody. But it seems many motorcycle riders just ride like stupid idiots. If nobody changes the lane or the speed then they will survive, and maybe they are even the fastest on the road. But if anybody brakes or changes the lane then lots of idiots die because they never thought about that they are not alone on the road.

And then there are many car drivers who obviously never rode a bike. And lots of motorcycle riders who never drove a car. They don't understand each other because they don't know the perspective of the other. 

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If nobody changes the lane or the speed then they will survive, and maybe they are even the fastest on the road. But if anybody brakes or changes the lane then lots of idiots die because they never thought about that they are not alone on the road.

And then there are many car drivers who obviously never rode a bike. And lots of motorcycle riders who never drove a car. They don't understand each other because they don't know the perspective of the other. 

Very true.

I believe that lack of awareness and not 'reading the road' are the cause of many accidents here.

I was told not to look at the vehicle in front, but to look at the ones in front of that one. Then you can anticipate (to a point) what everyone is doing.

On the small roads here, I hate being behind the minivans with blacked out windows - almost impossible to see what is in front of them.

• Like 1

I follow a local emergency responder online (Chanthaburi province), she updates with any road accidents attended each shift; I don't have any statistics and I won't guess one either, but in so many of the motorcycle injury and fatality events, no other vehicle is involved.

There'll be a photo of a crashed motorcycle, a pixellated body some metres away.  Often the 'other party' is a corner, a tree, a ditch or a pond/river. 

Everyone's a racer, until they're not. 

Friday 4th there was one near us, boy of 16 cut unsuccessfully in front of a truck/trailer, his Scoopy was wedged and dragged along under the front of the truck, his body several sets of wheels back. 

What a job. And two Fridays before she attended to two motorcycle fatalities in a single shift. 

Gets home: "How was your day at work today?"

• Thanks 1

The old Seinfeld TV show had an episode 'opposite George' where that character chose the opposite of his instincts.

Maybe that's the way to ride/drive to survive here - think 'what would a Thai do?' and do the opposite. 

A vehicle ahead does not mean you must overtake/undertake it. See this so often, a driver just has to get past as if it's a race (to their finish sometimes) I just hang back, let them go. And leave plenty of space in case they do cause a crash. 

My daughter has referred to my driving as 'like a turtle' no doubt compared to her death-defying risk-taking uni friends.  Even allowing for the age gap, expect I'll outlive a few of them.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gomangosteen said:

I just hang back, let them go. And leave plenty of space in case they do cause a crash. 

Yes I do the same  its a good strategy IMHO.

They undertake on the left  in the hard shoulder/motorcycle lane

then zoom off into the right hand land at warp speed

they overtake on the right then cut straight back into the hard shoulder for a tasty snack,coffee or fuel.

I just keep on cruising along in the same lane  no need to zig zag  in and out of other traffic every few meters...

"Slow is smooth and smooth is fast 😋

Very few if any go to a driving school to learn how to use the road.

They do not look for other traffic and give consideration for others.

Rule of the jungle, biggest has priority regardless.

Obeying the rules of the road are optional.

Some of the things I have noticed on the roads of Thailand