Thai visa shake-up: Southeast Asia consulates switch to e-visa only

snoop1130

Last few years it seems "E-Visas" are the norm already so what's really new here? I have obtained two tourist E-Visas for Cambodia and one tourist visa for Myanmar in the last two years. I have also helped a British friend obtain a marriage E-Visa for Thailand twice (2023 & 2024). I have also helped my GF obtain two visit visas for the UK online in 2023 & 2024 (still have to go and submit passport and biometrics at an office in Bangkok). We had to file pre-entry permits for Singapore easily online when we went in 2023. I really don't see what the issues could be. Who wants to go to an embassy when it can all be done from the comfort of a hotel room or at home online?

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, madone said:

this is insane and defeats the entire purpose of an "e" visa

also what prevents people from using a VPN? do travelers need to pick up the "e" visa in person?

I assume you need to prove to the computer system that you are entering from the country you say you were in when applying for the eVisa.  Otherwise the system will flag you, and expect questions any time you visit immigration

Edited by MarkBR
Typographical error

4 hours ago, shdmn said:

They can match it up with the stamps in your passport, so if you were to get a DTV from Cambodia your passport would need to have stamps showing you were there at the time it was issued.

Except that nowadays many countries, including Thailand, have automatic departure passport control lanes like at Suvarnabhumi where Immigration Inspections will be accessible to visitors with foreign passports and you don't actually meet with an immigration official who puts a stamp in your passport.

This has become an issue for countries like Lao and Cambodia who use to always check arriving passengers for the departure stamp in their passport of the country they just left.

15 hours ago, madone said:

also what prevents people from using a VPN? do travelers need to pick up the "e" visa in person?

I do not fully understand your comment... But you still need to leave Thailand then be stamped back in.

15 hours ago, madone said:

Use the brains just a tiny tiny bit and you would know that could mean showing proof e.g. visa stamps, hotel booking etc etc.

3 minutes ago, john donson said:

in what decade can we expect   E-immigration visa extension, lol

They already do that in Chiang Mai for tourist extensions, I had 2 of them so far. Only still need to show up to take the webcam photo and give them the pre-filled paperwork (even they are the ones who filled that out digitally for you, so god only knows why that is needed). Anyway 10 mins in and out, 500 baht extra though. They are small shiny stickers with a QR code in it, 1/4 of a page.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

I'm personally already tired now knowing it will be unclear again what they need, to then end up waiting days with emails back and forward, to upload and deliver new proof that might satisfy them. I mean imagine that the same slow Thais now suddenly will need to deal with hunderds of emails per day, rather than checking papers quick and turning you down.

Will let it play out same as the overseas taxes and just keep doing 60 on arrival + 30 days for a while. Unless it becomes easy and clear to get this DTV visa, I do have the 500K baht.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

No surprise at all. This "less work - less services" trend is chronic at all Embassies and Consulates worldwide. They don't want to deal with the people they are supposed to be assisting. Governments suck and are getting suckier with every passing year. :coffee1:

Well said.

14 minutes ago, john donson said:

this makes perfect sense, it should be priority. My marriage extension has become a joke, the same paperwork with the exception of the kr2, every year. Digital photos that serve no purpose, printed and stuck to an A4 sheet. They have assistants in my local office that check everything, I then proceeed to the officer who then rechecks them in silence, stamps, signature and consideration after 20 mins. I don’t begrudge it, it’s pretty easy but what country  wouldn’t have an online form and a place to submit scanned or photo documents? They are just obsessed with stamps and signatures here. 

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Do such things still exist?

Who knows.  but It all adds to the excitement .

Meanwhile , all the consulates are getting some signs professionaly made up :

We regret to inform applicants that our

computers are currently down and we will

not be processing online applications for

evisas until next Friday. Our apologies 

for any inconvenience.

Edited by Denim

Those of you who have VPN apps, can you please check if they have Vietnam in it? Can you please share the name of those apps that have it? I’ve checked two and they don’t.

5 hours ago, shdmn said:

They can match it up with the stamps in your passport, so if you were to get a DTV from Cambodia your passport would need to have stamps showing you were there at the time it was issued.

And 90 day reports...you are reporting the address you are living at but it allows you to report an address in Chiang Mai whilst you are are koh Samui..fickle

41 minutes ago, Serhii said:

Those of you who have VPN apps, can you please check if they have Vietnam in it? Can you please share the name of those apps that have it? I’ve checked two and they don’t.

I use NordVPN.  Certainly has Vietnam.

1 hour ago, john donson said:

I agree, or even just scanning your documents, photos, etc. No must have up to 30 copies on A4, and then after, I have seen them scan them on their computer.  Mucking Fental...:crazy: