Wine In Checked Baggage

wimpy

On 10/8/2024 at 3:14 PM, Photoguy21 said:

You can buy wine in Thailand you know, just a bit of information you may not have been told.

Stupid comment given the rates of duty that are applied to imported wines.

Paying 2,000 Baht for a bottle of wine that £5/6 in your home country does not make economic sense.

• Love It 1

7 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:
On 10/8/2024 at 3:14 PM, Photoguy21 said:

You can buy wine in Thailand you know, just a bit of information you may not have been told.

Paying 2,000 Baht for a bottle of wine that £5/6 in your home country does not make economic sense.

No, it does't...  But making something up to prove a point, also doesn't make sense. 

Here is an example: 

GRACA 28 Reserva Douro DOC  - 550 baht in Thailand

- Wine Searcher Price €7,91 ( 290 baht )

https://www.vivino.com/DE/en/graca-28-reserva/w/7978425

CONTI SANI Primum Chianti DOCG - 450 baht in Thailand

- Vivino Price point: €5,36  ( 196 baht )

https://www.vivino.com/DE/en/san-silvestro-barbera/w/17046?ref=nav-search

Thus: we're paying anywhere from 180% to 230% of compared to Vivino EU prices.

Prices in UK supermarkets etc are slightly higher. 

My point here is, no we are not paying 2000 baht ( €55 ) for a €6 - €7 (220-260 baht) wine.

You're implying a 900% markup - that may be so in restaurants, but not at the wine shops that while expensive are usually not more than double. 

Some decent wines for tolerable prices can be found. 

On 10/7/2024 at 4:42 PM, chickenslegs said:

AFAIK importing alcohol (more than 1L) requires a licence, and it's not possible to just declare it and pay the duty..

Which administration can deliver an import licence?

On 10/7/2024 at 4:42 PM, chickenslegs said:

AFAIK importing alcohol (more than 1L) requires a licence, and it's not possible to just declare it and pay the duty..

You are correct. I tried the declaration route with the intent to pay any tax a few years ago. That didn't work, but the customs man did let me pay a fine (to him) and he let me bring the bottles (of Crown Royal) home (in Bangkok).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I guess if you are an alchoholic as you would indicate then bringing your own does seem the way to go...............unless they stop you at customs of course

14 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

I guess if you are an alchoholic as you would indicate then bringing your own does seem the way to go...............unless they stop you at customs of course

Don't be insulting and make up accusations of being alcoholic (note correct spelling).

Bringing in your own duty free preference does not get close alcoholism...........

1 minute ago, hotandsticky said:

Don't be insulting and make up accusations of being alcoholic (note correct spelling).

Bringing in your own duty free preference does not get close alcoholism...........

If you have to bring drink from your home country you are either a really tight person or you have a drink problem. That is not insulting that is fact.

• Sad 2

15 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

If you have to bring drink from your home country you are either a really tight person or you have a drink problem. That is not insulting that is fact.

Your post is moronic..................not for the first time.

A couple of bottles of Barossa Valley Nine Popes is well worth bringing in........neither tight nor a drinking problem. 

i also bring in mini Baby bell cheeses, Cornish Yarg and Black Bomber cheeses, Marmite and Fortnum and Mason sauces...........................I guess you would conclude that I have a food problem.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

No, it does't...  But making something up to prove a point, also doesn't make sense. 

Here is an example: 

GRACA 28 Reserva Douro DOC  - 550 baht in Thailand

- Wine Searcher Price €7,91 ( 290 baht )

https://www.vivino.com/DE/en/graca-28-reserva/w/7978425

CONTI SANI Primum Chianti DOCG - 450 baht in Thailand

- Vivino Price point: €5,36  ( 196 baht )

https://www.vivino.com/DE/en/san-silvestro-barbera/w/17046?ref=nav-search

Thus: we're paying anywhere from 180% to 230% of compared to Vivino EU prices.

Prices in UK supermarkets etc are slightly higher. 

My point here is, no we are not paying 2000 baht ( €55 ) for a €6 - €7 (220-260 baht) wine.

You're implying a 900% markup - that may be so in restaurants, but not at the wine shops that while expensive are usually not more than double. 

Some decent wines for tolerable prices can be found. 

Fair comment and apologies - I did have restaurant prices in mind when I quoted 2,000 Baht......but please don't try to suggest that wine in Thailand represents good value; it does not and you can pay 1,000 Baht for wine that is £5/6 in a UK supermarket. Rarely is anything under 500 Baht palatable and I have bought wines for 1,500 Baht that I wouldn't dream of taking to a dinner party.

On 10/7/2024 at 11:39 AM, wimpy said:

Can I bring a few (6) bottles of wine into Thailand in my checked baggage, declaring  it to customs? What is the duty rate on wine?

Not legally.

45 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

This is not insulting - this is fact. You are a prat. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Some people enjoy visiting different wine regions around the world, bringing home souvenirs to enjoy and bring back memories. I can send a case of wine from S. Africa to the USA, no problem. Not to Thailand though. :(

On 10/7/2024 at 1:51 PM, CanadaSam said:

People will probably shout at me, but when I travel, I put everything I want into my checked luggage, (except blatantly illegal things i.e. drugs, weapons).

At most, some items may be confiscated, so don't put anything you simply can not afford to lose.

BTW think about how many times you have been asked to open your bags at international airports.

Once at Suvarnabhumi when I came with a huge package containing a full Kenwood kitchen machine.

My last arrival they stopped every Indian in front of me for scanning, no western I could see.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, marin said:

Give me a break. You made it up and got caught out. Sh*t happens..😂

<deleted> happens. It really sucks when like in your case,it comes in the form of a low IQ.Being allowed to dump the goods you attempted to smuggle into the country in a trash can is not "prosecution" (period) 

It doesn't mean that you sometimes /often manage to get away with just that. But it is not prosecution. I am just following the logic your own original reply. 

I know of a case, a friend, who was caught, wasn't able to pay the fine, and spent months in prison until he was able to come up with the money for the fine, and it was not illegal drugs, not even legal drugs. 

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Had 5 x 1.125lt bottles of bundy OP rum come through last week without issue.

Luck of the draw i reckon as to whether you will get piched or not.

Been in and out of Thailand more times than I can count over decades, and not once have I been redirected to an x-ray machine, and I have carried everything from stereo equipment to a case of Veuve Cliquot for a friend's wedding. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, madone said:

Been in and out of Thailand more times than I can count over decades, and not once have I been redirected to an x-ray machine, and I have carried everything from stereo equipment to a case of Veuve Cliquot for a friend's wedding. 

Same here...   Since Suvarnabumi airport opened, with the exception of covid I'm entering Thailand from anywhere between 5 and 8x times per year...  over 100 entries... 

Only once have I been asked to place a bag on the X-Ray machine by the customs guys when exiting the baggage area. 

I've brought in loads of stuff..

Bikes, pushchairs, skiis...  all in pretty obvious big packaging.

I also usually 'double my allowance' and bring in a couple of bottles of Whisky that is much more expensive here or can't easily be found here. 

I'm not sure I'd bother bringing in wine though, unless its a very special bottle for a special occasion...  (or I'm a connoisseur and wanted to bring something very special).