Concrete Truck Overturns, Crushing Car and Killing One in Chachoengsao

IMG_6544.png

The Phanom Rescue Radio Centre received a report at approximately 08.00 on October 8, of a concrete mixer truck overturning and crushing a car on Road 304, near the U-turn at 304 Racing Shop in Moo 2, Khao Hin Son Subdistrict, Phanom Sarakham District, Chachoengsao Province.

Rescue personnel and volunteers were dispatched to the scene, where initial reports confirmed one person was trapped inside the car, which was pinned down with the concrete mixer on top of it. The team immediately coordinated with additional emergency responders and sent a hydraulic cutter-equipped vehicle to assist.

Upon arrival, Phanom Sarakham hospital’s emergency team confirmed that the victim, a woman trapped inside the car, had died from multiple crush injuries at the scene. It was impossible to free the casualty from the car using normal rescue equipment, so a HIAB crane was called to raise the concrete mixer to allow recovery of the body.

Police from Khao Hin Son Police Station were called to investigate the incident and ordered the victim’s body to be sent to Phanom Sarakham Hospital for further examination. CCTV footage revealed that the concrete mixer had attempted a u-turn, but ended up rolling over onto the car, which was passing it.

Authorities are continuing to investigate the accident.

Picture from responders and CCTV footage below.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-08

news-footer-2.png

image.png

• Sad 3

IIRC it looks like a full size concrete mixer truck, which holds about 9 cu/m of concrete when full. Depending on the concrete mix, that would weigh perhaps 15 tons plus the weight of the truck. Perhaps over 22 tons all up weight and not particularly stable at speed either.

It doesn't look as though he even tried to slow for the U-turn.

The poor woman never stood a chance.

• Like 1

LOL and we were just talking about "Deadly Bus Fire Tragedy Highlights Safety Failures on Thai Roads". See? they never learn. That concrete truck was probably driving like a maniac for weeks or years before this happened and no one saw any problems then and will continue to not see any problems now.

Me first, me first, me first.... No !!!! ... Me first, me first, me first.... 

Again we see two massive failings in basic safety of drivers.

- Cement mixer driver, going to fast with no intention to yield. 

- Smaller vehicle who's driver is going quickly with no intention to yield (though, I'm not sure we was given much time to yield given the speed of the truck through the U-turn).

Then we also have the horrific road design with these lethal U-Turns into the 'over taking lanes' (also commonly referred to as 'faster lanes')...  

So we have the terrible road design which is a recipe for disaster, then we have foolish drivers with no concept of consequence who both play their part perfectly in guaranteeing disaster. 

Edited by richard_smith237

Is it me, or does the Cement Truck enter the U-Turn so fast that it actually slides and almost tips over before impact with the car ???

It appears as though the truck was going to end up on its side whether it struck the car or not.

Terribly unfortunate for the lady - I just wonder if she could have 'seen the truck coming at speed and could have taken the chance to yield and stop before tragedy ensued'.... 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

What's makes me sick:

this criminal will likely be on the road again.

In civilized countries he would be locked behind bars 

He should 100% be behind bars... this should not be a simple 'death by reckless driving'  charge, but the driver should be facing charges of far more serious nature, this was no accident....  

... There are no accidents when someone drives like this truck driver was - the driver should be facing the most extreme charge possible for this behavior (and outcome).

In Thailand, the most extreme charge that can be applied to a dangerous driver who causes death is negligent homicide, specifically under the Thai Criminal Code.

The relevant sections include:

Section 290: This section outlines the offence of causing death by negligence:

- penalty of up to 10 years in prison and/or a fine of up to 200,000 baht.

• Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, CallumWK said:
1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

What's makes me sick:

this criminal will likely be on the road again.

In civilized countries he would be locked behind bars 

Doesn't happen in civilized countries of course

You have compared what appears to be a 'genuine accident' (bus hit a pole, stalled and rolled backwards losing control, tipping over, hospitalising 4, no deaths).... with... speeding crazed cement truck driver fails to yield way, tips over truck onto a car killing the occupant... 

Quite a difference....  If I could use am idiots comparison...

... one event is like dripping over on an unstable pavement, the other is like pushing someone onto the tracks when a train approaches. 

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, retarius said:

It didn't burst into flames though did it?

Neither did the concrete truck - which this article is all about.

What was the point of your comment?

Back on topic - that poor lady's car looks to be totally flattened.

5 minutes ago, CallumWK said:
34 minutes ago, retarius said:

It didn't burst into flames though did it?

Where in the OP is stated that the concrete truck bursted in flames?

he's highlighting how flawed your comparison was...     it was stated in the article that people quickly exited tipped over bus, using 'safety hammers' to smash the windows...    But thats not related to a nutcase tipping over a cement truck and killing someone, either. 

What you have tried to do, is used the type of response favoured by AseanNow Thai apologists looking to deflect blame with the comment.. "well, it happens in other countries too"... and then gone ahead and shot yourself in the foot using rather pathetic example...  as if to exonerate the driver of a cement truck who was driving with what could be criminal negligence and killed someone.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Sad 1