Surprised no reaction from BYD owners on this forum

Companies should be able and legally are, in many western countries, and to sell at discounted prices to new customers. Tough poopoo on the people that bought too soon. They were greedy thinking that their stupid investment in a BYD would pay off with high resale values. 

Ever think why the tax on imported vehicles is so high? Because the greedy people complaining about BYD in this case, are the elite hi-sos buying extravagant Mercs, Bentleys and Porches. If they cut the tax, these people lose out. Personally I would love to see them lose out big time.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Photoguy21 said:

In your dreams. That may be the hype the companies are giving you and they will last that long if you dont drive the vehicle but under normal use? Very much doubt it.

Maybe, maybe they will last many years. But who wants to bet on that?

Who wants to buy a vehicle where the battery is maybe good for another 5 or 10 years, but maybe it is gone in two years, and then a replacement would cost more than the price of the second-hand car now.

With normal cars, people have decades of experience how they will last and about retail values. With EVs, no experience, big risk. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Woke EV madness.  Hopefully, the EV stupidity will all be gone in the next several years.

This isn't about EV's... Its about a Chinese company making promises and breaking them. 

Of course, EV's have become cheaper....  But any car loses value over 12 months. 

Buy a BMW for 3 million baht and watch it lose 500,000 baht as soon as you drive it out of the showroom.... 

But, all Tesla has had to reduce its prices to compete. 

The free-charing thing... yup... a lie... or rather, a 'semi-truth'... I don't trust the companies that make 'too good to be true' promises.

When KIA install their 'wall charger' in your house, they 'say' it has a 50 Million Baht Insurance cover for any damage caused by a fault in that charger (i.e. a short or a fire etc)... But I'd bet there is a load of 'wiggle' room in the event of a fire - I'd like to see 'that' policy in detail (I think its a 3 year policy, while the cars have an 7 or 8 year warranty).

But, at least they have show-rooms... Tesla don't... and the Chinese Showrooms seem deeply intent on sales... I not sure about recalls, or response when something goes wrong - I don't trust them to hold up their side of the 'agreements' (warranty) - BUT... that is most definitely my bias.

That said: Suing a company because they are offering the same product for less money in a promotion - well, thats just business isn't it ???

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe, maybe they will last many years. But who wants to bet on that?

Who wants to buy a vehicle where the battery is maybe good for another 5 or 10 years, but maybe it is gone in two years, and then a replacement would cost more than the price of the second-hand car now.

With normal cars, people have decades of experience how they will last and about retail values. With EVs, no experience, big risk. 

EV's have an 8 year battery warranty....    So, drive one for 5 or 6 years then sell it under warranty.

I don't see that the prices drop any more than ICE's do...  that would be my concern if buying one, but I've seen no evidence of the prices dropping (and this thread is about the show rooms lowering prices on new models forcing the value of already purchased models to drop - which is a different argument). 

Will manufacturers be able to change out the battery far more cheaply 10 years from now ????

Perhaps....   its a guess....   

But, I think we are heading for an environmental disaster with all the battery tech and recycling that will be needed - but again, thats a different argument from EV's vs ICE's from the single perspective of future value. 

You buy a depreciating product ... it depreciates, especially when better & cheaper is available.

Look at all the electronic, the past 20 ish years, how silly priced they seem now, when we bought them at entry market prices.  

People want a free market, well, now you have it.  No longer controlled by the legacy auto maker.   It's great for the consumer, considering the performance machines you can have now for the entry level cars from JP.

ICEVs won't be around much longer ... so how can you sell them in the future.  The ignorance won't last for ever, and people won't be buying 2nd hand ICEVs.

Our BEV will surely outlast me (~70 yrs old), and probably the wife, and she's only 48.  AND .. we get to save 30-40-50k baht a year, by not needing to buy petrol.  Times that by 20 years, and the BEV, just paid for itself, and if & when ready to upgrade, the battery pack gets added to the solar.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, stratocaster said:

From the Thai media. The group, Thai BYD owners association have petitioned the government about the unfair discount practices that have seen some members  claim that their BYD EV has lost 340,000 in the last12 months on resale value. Also they were promised from BYD, free charging at dedicated charging points which turn out to be only open at certain times and normally there is a large queue.

Tough.  You buy bleeding edge technology and then the prices go down.  It's not the government's business to make buyers "whole" for buying the bleeding edge.

Look at calculators.  A simple calculator that I can buy for about $1.00 now cost a few hundred dollars when they first hit the market.  But I guess I want the government to reimburse me for buying a calculator back in the late 1970s. Right? 

The prices of EV are coming down as the prices of lithium batteries plummets.  That's the technology cycle.  If you want to buy the first cutting edge technology regardless of what it is?  Your going to pay for it, and then the prices of the technology will come down. Study economics.  But low-information consumers whine when the realities of economic hits them squarely in the head.  But hey - you got bragging rights that you paid for.  "Look at me! I have and EV and you don't! I'm special."  So the Hiso wannabe are now whining and crying.  Boo Hoo.
If you're going to cry about it - don't buy new technology until it is well established and is manufactured in quantity. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, retarius said:

Tough poopoo on the people that bought too soon.

A lot of those buyer are status seekers.  "Look at me, I own an EV.  I'm special!"
Well, ya'll paid for it - your social status!  Too bad.  I have no freaking sympathy and I don't want any government climbing in to reimburse these people for their poor judgement. 
Calculators, smartphones, computers, you name it.  Cutting edge technology was expense and then as manufacturing caught up with demand, prices plummet.  That's economic reality.
Really - for those who can't grasp that, that's your problem, not the government's.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Guy on a podcast the other day bought a Porsche 3 years ago £150k, now worth £30k

But I bet he got laid every weekend by status seeking babes!

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

You buy a depreciating product ... it depreciates, especially when better & cheaper is available.

Look at all the electronic, the past 20 ish years, how silly priced they seem now, when we bought them at entry market prices.  

People want a free market, well, now you have it.  No longer controlled by the legacy auto maker.   It's great for the consumer, considering the performance machines you can have now for the entry level cars from JP.

ICEVs won't be around much longer ... so how can you sell them in the future.  The ignorance won't last for ever, and people won't be buying 2nd hand ICEVs.

Our BEV will surely outlast me (~70 yrs old), and probably the wife, and she's only 48.  AND .. we get to save 30-40-50k baht a year, by not needing to buy petrol.  Times that by 20 years, and the BEV, just paid for itself, and if & when ready to upgrade, the battery pack gets added to the solar.

I think you will find ICEV still on the road 50 years from now

I am sure if you could time travel back to 1908 and ask Henry Ford do you expect people to be still driving your new model T in 2024 I think he would have laughed and said No chance

“A new car remains in the Dutch fleet for an average of 19 years. The last petrol and diesel cars will come onto the market in 2034 and will stay on the road until approximately 2053."

https://www.dutchnews.nl/2024/07/half-of-petrol-stations-expected-to-close-in-next-decade/

There is currently approx 12 million ICEV cars on the road in Thailand it will take years for those vehicles to be replaced with BEV

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

I

Whilst I largely agree with you, I suspect Khun was referring to buying new.

I think “car enthusiasts” may still want icev in 2050 largely as showroom pieces but no one will be buying second hand icev for commuting/transport.

For starters fuel availability will be reducing and probably within 10 yrs.

Interesting Times ahead 

The palm oil producers do have a powerful lobby into Goverment policy

In this article written in 2023 they are forecasting an increase in  daily consumption of  biodiesel and palm oil from 

2023 Currently, daily consumption of biodiesel and palm oil stands at 4.33 million litres and 3.77 million kilograms respectively to

2024 daily consumption of biodiesel and palm oil at 4.66 million litres and 3.88 million kilos,

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/general/40033888

And In August 2024 it is reported that

Rosana explained that biofuel used in diesel is 60-70 percent more expensive per liter than basic diesel, while ethanol mixed in gasoline is 50 percent more expensive per liter than basic gasoline. However, the ceiling price of biofuel is part of the plan to reduce the amount of money from the Oil Fund that must be subsidized, but the Office of the National Energy Policy Council (ONEC) has never seen such action.

https://www.tcc.or.th/16082567_oil-fuel_fund_news/#:~:text

So Oil and diesel prices are higher in Thailand as a result of mixing with biofuels