Elderly Swiss man busted with gun at Phuket Airport

snoop1130

Screenshot-2024-10-08-131332.png

An 82 year old Swiss man was arrested at Phuket International Airport after security found a handgun tucked away in his luggage.

The Swiss national, Kurt Fritz Loliger, a seemingly unassuming pensioner, was stopped at Gate 81 of the International Passenger Terminal last night, October 7.

The drama unfolded around 8.30pm when Ainah Pango, an X-ray image officer, spotted something suspicious during a routine scan. A closer inspection revealed it was a handgun—a short-barrel ASTRA cal 6.35 a25 model. Baggage check officer Phakhanat Dumlak immediately called in the police, who confirmed the disturbing find.

Loliger was swiftly detained and handed over to the Sakhu Police for further investigation. It remains unclear how the elderly Swiss national came into possession of the firearm or what his intentions were.

With airport security being a top priority, this incident has raised serious concerns. Phuket International Airport has strict policies regarding the possession of firearms, and Loliger could face severe legal consequences, reported Phuket News.

“We take these matters very seriously. No one is above the law, no matter their age or nationality.”

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of Phuket News

Source: The Thaiger

-- 2024-10-08

news-footer-2.png

image.png

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Phuket International Airport has strict policies regarding the possession of firearms, and Loliger could face severe legal consequences, reported Phuket News.

Shame the whole country doesn't have 'severe consequences' for all gun possession. 

27 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

An 82 year old Swiss man was arrested at Phuket International Airport after security found a handgun tucked away in his luggage.

stopped at Gate 81 

Just your average plane hijacker. 

Maybe a friend of that crazy Swiss elephant guy from Phuket. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

who confirmed the disturbing find.

they are joking right  '   ....   every damn kid here has a gun under his motorbike seat for crying out aloud.  

Why is this a big fuss .....   go and stop 10 kids and I bet you'll get at least 5 guns. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

“We take these matters very seriously. No one is above the law, no matter their age or nationality.”

well how about cleaning up your own backyard   !!

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

With airport security being a top priority, this incident has raised serious concerns.

Why the 'serious concerns' ? This just proves the security system works.

According to other sources the gun was in his 'suitcase' suggesting the checked baggage.

So not even a security concern really.

47 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Why the 'serious concerns' ? This just proves the security system works.

According to other sources the gun was in his 'suitcase' suggesting the checked baggage.

So not even a security concern really.

My read as well, he was at the gate and his bas was downstairs in the X-Ray machine. Not a security concern but a clear contraband concern. Regardless of the state of enforcement, foreigners are not allowed to have guns in LOS.

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

they are joking right  '   ....   every damn kid here has a gun under his motorbike seat for crying out aloud.  

Why is this a big fuss .....   go and stop 10 kids and I bet you'll get at least 5 guns. 

The old everyone else was speeding defense, sorry, it does not work that way.

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

More-so than reporting - Was he caught with the gun in his baggage leaving or arriving ?

Expand  

I guess it was leaving as he was caught at Gate 81. 

That’s where I’m missing the boat & left wondering…

- (Travelling from Phuket) Gun found in check-in luggage, flagged & they pick him up at the gate.

- (Travelling from Phuket) Gun found in carry on at at security check point at the gate, but isn’t the security check point much earlier than the gate area ? 

- (Travelling from elsewhere) Gun flagged in checked bagged bag by x-ray screening, picked up passengers on arrival at gate 81 (though that makes less sense ‘cos they should have spotted the gun & pulled the bag & passenger off the flight before departure)

So…. I’m guessing you guys are right a the  gun was caught on departure - but it’s not sure if it was in checked in or hand carry. 

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

True… but taking one on a plane adds hyperbolic level of severity.

My Brother In Law was caught with 3 guns in his car (licensed but outside of the permissible area of use).

- 10,000 baht fine. 
- Monthly check in with local Police.

An unlicensed gu would draw a more severe fine, outside of an area such as an airport. But caught ar an airport with a gun - that’s surely going to result in full on ‘extreme’ penalty… especially as it wasn’t a ‘military officer making a mistake’ etc… (I.e.  no understandable or reasonable explanation) 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

True… but taking one on a plane adds hyperbolic level of severity.

My Brother In Law was caught with 3 guns in his car (licensed but outside of the permissible area of use).

- 10,000 baht fine. 
- Monthly check in with local Police.

An unlicensed gu would draw a more severe fine, outside of an area such as an airport. But caught ar an airport with a gun - that’s surely going to result in full on ‘extreme’ penalty… especially as it wasn’t a ‘military officer making a mistake’ etc… (I.e.  no understandable or reasonable explanation) 

yes ... i agree ... it's not correct ...

I just wanted to point out there are approx 8 million bike kids and most have a gun under the seat.  haha