Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

CharlieH

8 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

American women aren't the dominant partner the large majority of the time. What they do is run the household most of the time, meaning making sure the kids get to school, cooking, cleaning the house. This isn't all of the houses though, as many men cook, clean, raise the kids etc, as I did. Teamwork is best wherever you live, with not one taking over besides the man being the head of household, besides single parent woman households. You saw only two out of millions, which doesn't give you a real picture of what goes on there. My ex tried controlling me here, and that is another reason we divorced.

No, I was working in the USA on two occasions, not I only saw two American women. 😄

The first stay was in Arlington Texas, they just "loved" my accent I was told on many occasions by the local beauties. Short contract, only four months.

I had a bit of a "go" with an ex-Dallas Cowboy cheerleader for a few months.

The second time was in New Jersey for one year, I met loads in the Morris Town hotel I stayed at which on weekends was also a nightclub which I visited every week.

Being young, slim, English accent worked a treat with the ladies.

But I always did a 'runner' before they became too bossy, and a great time was had. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/11/2024 at 1:17 PM, theblether said:

This guy did not know the Thai word for toilet

Not that surprising considering that in over 30 years here I could probably count on one hand the number of times I have heard a Thai use the Thai word for "toilet"    Without exception they will use the words "hong nam"    which does not mean "toilet"

5 hours ago, retarius said:

I dislike this extremely judgemental article by the OP.

If people wish to integrate, let them integrate. I don't. 

If people wish to learn the language, let them try. I did try for the first 6 to 9 months   I was here (formal lessons 3 times a week) but cannot communicate effectively outside my household where people don't speak Bangkok Thai, but Isaan language and intonation. People over 50 don't 'pick up' languages very well.

If people wish to enjoy what passes for culture here, then bully for them. If they don't, well, equally bully for them. If they have a valid visa to stay here, then they can stay, they can integrate or not, they can learn the language or not, and they can eat Thai food or not. And if they wish to comment on Thai culture or living here then they are entitled to do so and not have someone sneering at them in articles on AN.

Language and integration are two different things.

My whole family is bilingual or multilingual.

I speak English Spanish Mandarin Thai and Lao and I'm fluent in all. 

My kids too. Did what all multilingual families do. Dad speaks only one set of languages and Mon the others. They end up speaking them all.

Now 'learnt' languages and integration are two different things.

My childhood languages are English and Spanish and I can flip between them in my head without a thought and yes I'm integrated into the society I was born.

My learned languages means I can communicate, but I translate in my head, not the same as native language and I'm not sure that ever makes you truly integrate

And if you aren't multilingual it's very hard to explain the difference between how your brain deals with core languages and learned ones

Edited by GinBoy2

On 10/11/2024 at 1:42 PM, fredwiggy said:

Most foreigners already know how to drive well coming from other countries where laws are enforced, and testes to get licenses are harder. Some speed no matter where they live, and drive drunk, and this isn't a good thing anywhere.

Most foreigners know how to drive well in the comparative safety and controlled over regulated environment  of their home countries.    The majority of them however are like fish out of water as they try to adapt to driving here.   There is a very strong argument, in my opinion, for not allowing short term tourists anywhere near a car or a motorcycle here,  

19 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Not that surprising considering that in over 30 years here I could probably count on one hand the number of times I have heard a Thai use the Thai word for "toilet"    Without exception they will use the words "hong nam"    which does not mean "toilet"

I know what it means. Try not to outsmart yourself - it's not a good look on an older man. 

On 10/11/2024 at 11:34 AM, richard_smith237 said:

The points raised about some foreigners here moaning all the time is just highlighting a very vocal minority. 

Thailand isn't perfect and there are aspects of Thailand that I do not like, but the good outweighs the bad.... 

Some people will discuss or have a complaint about a negative aspect of Thailand the experience of being here is multifaceted and for most people its a 'net positive'.

Thank you, Richard. I agree.

1 minute ago, Anthony mellows said:

If I had years of learning Thai at school, like here they have years of learning English at school, communication would be easier.

Well I'll let you into a secret about teaching English in Thai schools.

My son after we moved from Singapore went to what was billed as the best International school in Khon Kaen. He was obviously totally fluent in English, but I'd read the corrections to his homework and it was laughable. 

The 'English' teacher herself could barely speak English, and talking to her I'd switch to Thai just to have a understandable conversation

2 minutes ago, theblether said:

Infantile trolling by a lonely old man.

Pathetic. 

"old"   kind of a relative term really.   anybody reaching the age of 35 in your god forsaken country would be considered old.   

But keep trying, with a bit of practice you might not sound so infantile, as long as we stick to the medium of the written word of course.  

56 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

20K !!!   are you serious ?  Sounds like you were taken to the cleaners

No, it was a few years ago, they had set up a roadblock here in Phuket.

They had caught about fifteen people, half of them were Thai and half farang. 

It was my fault as I did not know the drink limit was much less for people driving on farang licenses, I had two small bottles of beer and was over the limit.

So after standing around for ten minutes I spotted who was in charge and asked if I could 'pay now', I offered 10k but they wanted 20k.

One of the officers drove me and my car to the ATM, I gave him 20k baht, and he drove to a police station and got out, I said what now and he told me I could drive home.

The roadblock was only a mins drive to my house. 

So now even with my Thai driving licence I do not drive at all even after one beer.

I bumped into one of the other people a week later who had also been arrested at the same roadblock as me, he told me he had to spend one night in the monkey-house, go to court the next day, and pay a fine of 30k baht.

4 minutes ago, JamesPhuket10 said:

No, it was a few years ago, they had set up a roadblock here in Phuket.

They had caught about fifteen people, half of them were Thai and half farang. 

It was my fault as I did not know the drink limit was much less for people driving on farang licenses, I had two small bottles of beer and was over the limit.

So after standing around for ten minutes I spotted who was in charge and asked if I could 'pay now', I offered 10k but they wanted 20k.

One of the officers drove me and my car to the ATM, I gave him 20k baht, and he drove to a police station and got out, I said what now and he told me I could drive home.

The roadblock was only a mins drive to my house. 

So now even with my Thai driving licence I do not drive at all even after one beer.

I bumped into one of the other people a week later who had also been arrested at the same roadblock as me, he told me he had to spend one night in the monkey-house, go to court the next day, and pay a fine of 30k baht.

I knew a German guy who ran over and killed a kid after a good lunch , he got change out of 20k  although it was not in Phuket.    (another good reason to not live there)

21 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I knew a German guy who ran over and killed a kid after a good lunch , he got change out of 20k  although it was not in Phuket.    (another good reason to not live there)

I salute your German guy, I wish I could run over and kill kids for less than 20k baht, it must be a great area to live in.😄

Phuket has 1/3 the area of Greater London, but what some farangs do is come here for a week or two and spend all of their time in the very small girly bar areas in Patong, they do not see the rest of the island so have a false view of the place.

There are dozens of restaurants/bars in the area I live in but are mostly frequented by Thais, definitely no girly bars, etc here.

But at the same time, it is very quiet in the housing estate I live in as there is no through traffic, and the access in and out is controlled. 

I can't imagine living anywhere else in Thailand, I do visit a small village now and then near Surat Thani but two days is enough, there are only so many trees I can look at, it even has a beach but still so boring. 

I do see the effect though of living in the middle of nowhere in some tiny village as I read the very many anti-Thailand comments from such guys on sites such as this one, many of them are stuck in Isaan for example with absolutely nothing going on around them, they must be bored witless after being there a year or two.  

P.S. I ran over and killed a cat while I was driving my car a few days ago, but that was for free. 

Edited by JamesPhuket10

11 minutes ago, JamesPhuket10 said:

I salute your German guy, I wish I could run over and kill kids for less than 20k baht, it must be a great area to live in.😄

Phuket has 1/3 the area of Greater London, but what some farangs do is come here for a week or two and spend all of their time in the very small girly bar areas in Patong, they do not see the rest of the island so have a false view of the place.

There are dozens of restaurants/bars in the area I live in but are mostly frequented by Thais, definitely no girly bars, etc here.

But at the same time, it is very quiet in the housing estate I live in as there is no through traffic, and the access in and out is controlled. 

I can't imagine living anywhere else in Thailand, I do visit a small village now and then near Surat Thani but two days is enough, there are only so many trees I can look at, it even has a beach but still so boring. 

I do see the effect though of living in the middle of nowhere in some tiny village as I read the very many anti-Thailand comments from such guys on sites such as this one, many of them are stuck in Isaan for example with absolutely nothing going on around them, they must be bored witless after being there a year or two.  

P.S. I ran over and killed a cat while I was driving my car a few days ago, but that was for free. 

I nearly stopped reading when you mentioned a "housing estate"  .  I have been to Phuket several times , the first time was just before the sunami, I was only there for a week and was not overly impressed.

Some years later I went to help with translation for a Thai friend who has a construction company and was looking to secure some building contracts with a group of Belgians initially and some English guys who were looking to build a few condos. 

We were all over the Island looking for suitable building plots,  again I left pretty much unimpressed, as did my Thai mate 

I am perfectly happy here out in darkest Surin as are the few expats I associate with. plenty going on an never bored. plus the added bonus of no Indians or Russians or muslims  and very very few tourists, what's not to love ? . 

Ps Cats are free, dogs can be a little more expensive,  if one bites they are a stray but if you do kill one they suddenly have 5 owners all asking for money, so best to just keep on going 

On 10/11/2024 at 11:56 AM, thesetat2013 said:

What a load of drivel.... You are far from understanding what it is you have said in your reply. All you are doing is foreigner bashing. 

absolutely agree. 

Some expats may have their own personal reasons for distain to this, distain to that, and that's their business for whatever reason,  it's not some forum boards business. 

I can tell you I don't like cheats and liars and fake people so that's a good start. 

Each to his own as they say. 

I think the place is ok but of course everything is not going to be wonderful,  some things are good and some things are bad.  

The thread reads like a psychological evaluation of expats on AN ... 😂

Edited by steven100

On 10/11/2024 at 7:11 PM, BritManToo said:

I'm here for the cycling weather, most of the year I can do 25km every morning.

Ditto. cycling 1000%. No amount of money you can spend to have so much enjoyment.

Got up into some fog in the mountains the other week when the rains were raging.

I often badmouth politicians/bureaucrats/rotten cops  here. 

But quite unlikely to speak ill of common Thai people, food, culture, religion, and climate here.

40 years ago, I never thought about living in South East Asia in any future.

30 years ago, I never thought about it yet.

26 years ago, I came here for the first time. And charmed by the people and food.

So I started to dream of   retiring here when I get old.

19 years ago, I came here for retirement. 

Today, nearly 20 years on, I never feel tired of this place. Instead, I come to love it even more day by day...

image.jpeg.20f85c4b5e9aa867e421b4fee6bf99d1.jpeg  

image.jpeg.c9fc2bd828d9b5c447bf2dfa56ce134b.jpeg

image.jpeg.104f41c6fd5c9340f2b273fd7935cb2a.jpeg 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by black tabby12345