Its too expensive I may leave

Work more.  Save, invest more.  State pensions were never meant to be one’s sole means of retirement income.

Naturally this reply won’t go over well with the “I want it now “ crowd.  

Hence they have a low income retirement.

6 minutes ago, G_Money said:

Work more.  Save, invest more.  State pensions were never meant to be one’s sole means of retirement income.

Naturally this reply won’t go over well with the “I want it now “ crowd.  

Hence they have a low income retirement.

Excellent point 

But...I'm thinking inflation had caught up to Thailand,times change ,prices change 

$$10 for a pair of sandals I can get in Kmart for $5;

This year Australians WILL Not be going to Thailand I can assure you ,they will go to Bali or Vietnam ( the new Bali) 

You have lost Australians blame it on yourself 

Edited by georgegeorgia

11 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Maybe blame it on Australian governments whose policies have caused the dollar to drop so low.

with the millions of bigger spending Chinese and Russians here now  I doubt any of the Thais will notice the thrifty Aussies pensioners are missing.

I certainly won’t miss them.

46 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Shocked tonight to cash my Australian dollars to get a lousy 21.73 , 2173 baht  $100

Dont blame that on Thailand.

46 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Now I have been advised by another visitor in my hotel to go to Vietnam that's where he is moving to 

What about the doctors?

31 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Big C or Lotus. Less than 100 baht. 

39 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Excellent point 

But...I'm thinking inflation had caught up to Thailand,times change ,prices change 

This year Australians WILL Not be going to Thailand I can assure you ,they will go to Bali or Vietnam ( the new Bali) 

1 AUD National flag of the Commonwealth of Australia = 22.31 THB National flag of the Kingdom of Thailand at the rate on 2024-10-14.

• Confused 1

59 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Shocked tonight to cash my Australian dollars to get a lousy 21.73 , 2173 baht  $100

Can someone please calculate maybe a mathematical expert how much is 100 baht in AUD please !

Now I have been advised by another visitor in my hotel to go to Vietnam that's where he is moving to 

Please how do you Australian expats survive on old age pension here when prices here in Thailand are comparable to Australian prices after the exchange 

I paid nearly $6 for a 6 inch subway ,same price in Australia 

Gone are the days of buying cheap shoes and clothing here in Thailand 

Nearly $5 for a pair of thongs and I don't mean underwear! Please !

The thongs that go on your feet 

Is Vietnam cheaper,I still have 3 weeks to go on my work leave , I feel like I should go back to Australia where it's cheaper .what an expensive place 

How do you afford to retire you guys who only have a small Government pension ??

I agree with your comment about Vietnam but not with your comment about Aussie pension, I live in OZ on just an OAP it all depends where you live. I still pay AUD 240 per week for about 8 years now and still can afford to travel to LOS twice a year. 

You can live pretty cheap in Vietnam. The only problem is they don't have a retirement visa, so you have to be ok with doing border runs every 3 months.

Edited by shdmn

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Can someone please calculate maybe a mathematical expert how much is 100 baht in AUD please !

Please how do you Australian expats survive on old age pension here when prices here in Thailand are comparable to Australian prices after the exchange 

Gone are the days of buying cheap shoes and clothing here in Thailand 

Nearly $5 for a pair of thongs and I don't mean underwear! Please !

The thongs that go on your feet 

Is Vietnam cheaper,I still have 3 weeks to go on my work leave , I feel like I should go back to Australia where it's cheaper .what an expensive place 

How do you afford to retire you guys who only have a small Government pension ??

Cost of living is very low to me in Thailand compared to the West. Just gotta mop more. Mop till you drop. Or go hang out in the Manila subways. I heard it's the most fun anyone can ever have. 

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Why on earth would you buy/eat that?  Australia is actually the only place I ever bought one, never again, anywhere.  Or maybe  Brisbane just can't get real bread.