Its too expensive I may leave

georgegeorgia

34 minutes ago, johng said:

Come on  90 day report even at the (stasi)  office  is much quicker and easier than a border run...well unless you live right next door to the border..

from Pattaya its at least an 8 hour  kamikaze minibus drive.

I hear tell that 90 day report can be done online too..the wonders of new fangled technology never ceases to amaze.

I should have said I was only referring to my situation. I was about 80K from the IO and 200K to the border, which was a nice pleasant drive or motorbike ride.

There was also no need for the 800,000Bt in the bank nonsense.

5 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Thankyiu for your understanding,yes unfortunately there's many nasty people here who don't have sympathy for an old man like me forced to walk with a Zimmer frame up Jomtien hill because I can't afford a baht bus

It's been 2 hours now I left Jomtien beach and I'm not even half way there into Pattaya yet .

If someone sees a old man with a Zimmer frame please stop and say "hello Georgie,!

Ralfy went past in his red Ferrari giving me the finger !

I gave up a year or two ago with the Bangkok Post Forum because people there are so (were, anyway) so nasty.

11 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

image.png.39d0d27b21150bd790416a3f4ef4218c.png

That's from 2 years ago and there's been huge change's to currency exchange since then.

Unlike that chart, I've just shown Thailand is now 25% more expensive than Australia for a Whopper cheese meal (318 baht in Aus vs 399 in Pattaya)

Edited by Pattaya57

Just now, Pattaya57 said:

That's from 2 years ago and there's been huge change's to currency exchange since then.

Unlike that chart, I've just shown Thailand is now 25% more expensive than Australia for a Whopper cheese meal (318 baht in Aus vs 399 in Pattaya)

Good for you champ.

Hi, thank you for your interest in my post.

My monthly rent:3000-

Water:(flat rate):150-

Electricity:

(8 for each unit) x about 40(during the Nov-Feb), about80(March-May),

about 60(Jun-Oct).

Internet:100/month(pay to the landlord with monthly rent).

Area: Chiang Mai Old City

Type of accommodation:

Studio Apartment(room size varies) with A/C,  Desk, Build-in Wardrobe, Bed, fly Screen in the windows, Curtain or Blind.Hot water,Ceiling/Wall fan in each room.

Tenant Ratio:

70-80% Thais(students, workers, self-employed. Family and singles.

20-30% Foreigners(westerners and Asians).

My advice:

If you are looking for any studio apartment  around THB3000-3500, area around Tanin(AKA Siri Wattana) Market(outside Old City  Champuak Gate is suitable) recommended.

Tops Market and discount good store nearby.

When you check out around apartment, bring in your pc to  see their Wi-Fi connections. Some places are good. Some are not.

image.jpeg.5767f3829f3b0e2265cca69cf6a9d40e.jpeg  

Home goods store 

image.jpeg.1e158fa51855633822aee2dd851f64ee.jpeg

20 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Yes great see you Evenkeel

I noticed you had not one but two containers to take away ..wowee 

Stick with me George and Pattaya will be your oyster. Got info on a good Birthday Party later. It's a German guy so lots of ladyboys to be expected. 

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

After Trump cuts Social Security, you are going to need more containers.

Now, what would make you make this political. I'm helping out my expat compadre here. I'm showing him the ropes. Next I'll show how to get free washing machines.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Stick with me George and Pattaya will be your oyster. Got info on a good Birthday Party later. It's a German guy so lots of ladyboys to be expected. 

Thanks EK , great to meet you and thankyou for fitting my Zimmer frame on your motorbike 

Edited by georgegeorgia

30 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

13 countries including UK can get 45 days visa exempt. All other countries can apply for 90 day e-visa

Thanks.

I assume he will want to stay more than 90 days  because he mentioned retirement.

2 hours ago, edwardflory said:

Expensive????

I think the AVERAGE inflation for the past 12 years is around 1% yearly compared to 25% to 30% for the last 4 years in the USA.

It ALL depends WHERE you live and WHERE you shop. I have a UNFURNISHED 2BR, 2 Bath, LR, DR, Indoor kitchen, yard and etc in a gated community paying rent of $135USD a month 20 minutes from center city Korat. ( housing only )  I have a friend in Phuket Area - 30+ minutes from the beach, paying $780USD rent a month for their 2BR ( basically same as mine with NO yard ) in gated community.

So explain to me, if living here is SO expensive, how the average Thai family can live on $270USD to $360USD a month, housing and food????

We use Thai Baht here, please quote prices in that, not $, which could be US, CAD, AUD, Sing. 

4 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Thanks EK , great to meet you and thankyou for fitting my Zimmer frame on your motorbike 

No problem. Awesome to meet a like minded aseannow member. Hey, see you at 1800 for the BD party. Like I said the guy is German so loads of ladyboys.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

Edit: I just checked, double Whopper cheese meal is 469 baht or A$21. Ridiculous price for supposedly cheap "fast food"

Yes agreed  I gave up years ago with Burger King and even more years ago with the  Clown burger     now I buy a few burger buns from Friendship or Foodmart  and some ground pork and/or beef  and make my own 

"Hum Burglars"

38 minutes ago, black tabby12345 said:

Electricity:

(8 for each unit) x about 40(during the Nov-Feb), about80(March-May),

about 60(Jun-Oct).

Tell me how you can run 2 x 30 watt fans, an AC, a PC, lights, TV? and average 60 units per month = 2 units per day.   Not possible. A modern Inverter air-con uses at least 500 watts per hour on Eco setting at 28C.

Oh yes, you are getting ripped off at Bht 8 per unit, that's twice the Govt rate.

Edited by KannikaP

15 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Now, what would make you make this political. I'm helping out my expat compadre here. I'm showing him the ropes. Next I'll show how to get free washing machines.

It was a joke, Joyce. The fishing is good on some threads.

12 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

No problem. Awesome to meet a like minded aseannow member. Hey, see you at 1800 for the BD party. Like I said the guy is German so loads of ladyboys.

Oh fantastic can hardly wait, love a nice German sausage every now & again 

Edited by georgegeorgia

On 10/14/2024 at 11:43 PM, georgegeorgia said:

I paid nearly $6 for a 6 inch subway ,same price in Australia 

Quick web search shows cheapest 6 inch subway (plain ham) is $8 in Australia. From memory, couple of weeks ago I was paying around 110 baht or $4.90 at Jomtien subway (today's ex rate 22.3), but cheaper if you get the sub of the day. Nearest I'll get to real Thai food.

Of course, as others have already pointed out, Thailand is hugely cheaper for the things that really count, such as housing and services. I paid $270 in Oz for an electrician to change a light switch, 2 minute job (he gave me a $30 discount as I'm retired). Paid 120 baht, or $5.40, for a lady in Pattaya to fix the soles of my sandals, over an hour's work, and my apologies to some here, I tipped her 80 baht.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/15/2024 at 3:45 PM, KannikaP said:

Aussie pension is currently $2480 per month

That is the rate paid to residents, they have a lower rate for those living overseas which excludes some allowances. 

On 10/14/2024 at 7:52 PM, G_Money said:

Work more.  Save, invest more.  State pensions were never meant to be one’s sole means of retirement income.

Naturally this reply won’t go over well with the “I want it now “ crowd.  

Hence they have a low income retirement.

Appreciate your take on things but wish to relate my own reality. May not change your take on things but may cause a broader outlook. Paperboy at age 13, went to college on parental help and student (US gov't guaranteed loans (also working for some income. Went into teaching in a US SE state (region lowest paying in the US). Good & rewarding career over 41 years and as a colleague once observed an outstanding resume (Ha! OK, he actually said, I looked good ... on paper). Earned tenure in the public school system (middle and high schools). The last 27 years teaching undergraduate American and European History. Earned each juried academic rank, retiring  as an Emeritus Professor of History on a sustainable monthly budget of $2400 use ($1570 of that from earned Social Security). Doo keep in mind SS retirement benefit is determined by the salary you were paid over your working career - SE states, lower salary = lower SS. Oh, it was my choice to teach in the region and, from my background the students benefitted from having an educator from outside the region with international study experience. But the reality is I cannot afford an earned working middle class retirement in the USA and so, here I am in a lower cost country. You understand, I agree with you that the earned SS is to keep the elderly from starving on the streets, but even with earned retirement savings, there is no guarantee of a middle class retirement in many western countries and so ... here we are.

6 minutes ago, biggles45 said:

That is the rate paid to residents, they have a lower rate for those living overseas which excludes some allowances. 

Better than the GBP 737 = AUD 1432 UK Pension I get per month.

Edited by KannikaP

Imports/establishments that are niche with the general public will generally be as expensive as your country, maybe even more. It's just the way it is. It's also becoming harder for Thais to dedicate to a specific demographic with how internationally varied the tourists are.

1 hour ago, johng said:

I hear tell that 90 day report can be done online too..the wonders of new fangled technology never ceases to amaze.

Correct. I have been doing it successfully for over two years

2 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Speaking of too expensive, is anyone willing to pay for a Whopper cheese meal at Burger King?

It's a whopping 399 baht which is A$18. It's not even a double Whopper so hate to think how much that costs 😀

Edit: I just checked, double Whopper cheese meal is 469 baht or A$21. Ridiculous price for supposedly cheap "fast food"

Screenshot_20241016_124248_Burger King.jpg

BK doesn't do promotions in Pattaya, in Bangkok i see them every time i go, check their facebook page 

40 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Oh fantastic can hardly wait, love a nice German sausage every now & again 

Loads of competition, so wear that sexy red dress of yours

• Haha 1

On 10/14/2024 at 7:43 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Shocked tonight to cash my Australian dollars to get a lousy 21.73 , 2173 baht  $100

Can someone please calculate maybe a mathematical expert how much is 100 baht in AUD please !

Now I have been advised by another visitor in my hotel to go to Vietnam that's where he is moving to 

Please how do you Australian expats survive on old age pension here when prices here in Thailand are comparable to Australian prices after the exchange 

I paid nearly $6 for a 6 inch subway ,same price in Australia 

Gone are the days of buying cheap shoes and clothing here in Thailand 

Nearly $5 for a pair of thongs and I don't mean underwear! Please !

The thongs that go on your feet 

Is Vietnam cheaper,I still have 3 weeks to go on my work leave , I feel like I should go back to Australia where it's cheaper .what an expensive place 

How do you afford to retire you guys who only have a small Government pension ??

Then leave then.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Wow, that's cheap, maybe we could persuade Georgie to go Vietnam next holiday. 

It was a local commune clinic but the doctor works in the government hospital day time and this is his own business night times.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Wow, that's cheap, maybe we could persuade Georgie to go Vietnam next holiday. 

It was a local commune clinic but the doctor works in the government hospital day time and this is his own business night times.